Ethical Question: Conversion Barrels
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Ethical Question: Conversion Barrels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 11:10 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Ethical Question: Conversion Barrels

I'm all for any and all gun rights. Personally I don't think any law should be imposed on anything to do with guns, but that is another topic.

Despite my feelings I can't help but wonder if conversion barrels are a good thing. Image a guy has a .40S&W, we will say Glock for this example. He gets a 9MM Lone Wolf conversion barrel for it. Goes out, kills someone, puts the factory barrel back in and destroys the conversion barrel.

Now the cops are out there looking for a 9MM, and he has a .40S&W.

Thoughts? Feels like this is something we should not allow. I'm conflicted.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-12-2012, 11:24 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3458 Times on 1782 Posts
Likes Given: 374

We know such conversions exist. Ballistics comparisons on bullets are a thing of the past. The shell casing is the object of comparison now. I guess you can buy another slide and replace the ejector in addition to the barrel, so you might just as well get another gun for the money it would take to "rebuild" the murder weapon.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:30 PM   #3

Liked 53 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukinfuts29 View Post
I'm all for any and all gun rights. Personally I don't think any law should be imposed on anything to do with guns, but that is another topic.

Despite my feelings I can't help but wonder if conversion barrels are a good thing. Image a guy has a .40S&W, we will say Glock for this example. He gets a 9MM Lone Wolf conversion barrel for it. Goes out, kills someone, puts the factory barrel back in and destroys the conversion barrel.

Now the cops are out there looking for a 9MM, and he has a .40S&W.

Thoughts? Feels like this is something we should not allow. I'm conflicted.
Anything can be used wrong. You could just destroy a gun or change out the barrel extractor and firing pin. The thing is it is all premeditated so it is the act of a criminal and they will find a way. For myself I have inserts for my DB 12ga so if I don't have shotgun shells I can use other ammo. Those of us that keep it legal shouldnt be ruled by what someone with criminal intent might do.

other ammo

Last edited by bearrwe; 06-12-2012 at 11:34 PM. Reason: auto correct did me in again!

Old 06-12-2012, 11:32 PM   #4

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
We know such conversions exist. Ballistics comparisons on bullets are a thing of the past. The shell casing is the object of comparison now. I guess you can buy another slide and replace the ejector in addition to the barrel, so you might just as well get another gun for the money it would take to "rebuild" the murder weapon.
I never thought about the casing and the ejector, good points.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:21 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10748 Times on 4650 Posts
Likes Given: 1755

I could use a Dan Wesson, leave no casings at the site of the deed, swap barrels in 30 seconds, and melt the barrel.

Or I could spend an hour buffing the bore with J-B Bore shine, and you will play hell getting a ballsitic match.

BTW, I shoot some Remington Accelerator rifle loads. Ever see those? Bullet is in a plastic sabot, which usually travels only a couple of feet. Bullets never touch the rifling, and have NO markings of lands and grooves.

The same gasoline you put in your car is used to make firebombs. You cannot legislate morality- you can only punish misdeeds.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:24 AM   #6

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Not sure why i even questioned myself. Momentary lapse I guess

Old 06-13-2012, 01:02 AM   #7

Liked 927 Times on 590 Posts
Likes Given: 1041

How would you feel about my Medusa?? 20+ calibers from the same revolver...

Old 06-13-2012, 01:07 AM   #8

Liked 3740 Times on 1828 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
The same gasoline you put in your car is used to make firebombs.
hey now, you have no proof that that was the intent of what i was doing

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 06-13-2012, 03:58 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10748 Times on 4650 Posts
Likes Given: 1755

Quote:
hey now, you have no proof
Says the man with no eyebrows!

Old 06-13-2012, 04:13 AM   #10

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm
^ that plus most criminals are not smart enough to think of doing that. The ones that are smart enough usually get away with it. For instance murders where the perpetrater is a stranger to the victim have a very low solve rate to begin with and when the murderer does anything to throw off investigators it usually isn't solved. These murders go unsolved because the first thing most investigations consider is motive and, when someone's motive is just to commit murder on someone they usually have planned it and have forensic counter measures.