EPA Asked to Ban Lead Shot and Sinkers

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > EPA Asked to Ban Lead Shot and Sinkers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2010, 08:41 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default EPA Asked to Ban Lead Shot and Sinkers

Received this today via email.

A group of environmentalist, fresh off success of banning some lead shot in California are now petitioning the EPA to ban lead shot and bullets and sinkers from use in the US and US waters. The petition was filed today.

Download the press release in support of their position (PDF) (see below)

This is a perfect reason for sportsmen to understand that if we are not involved in politics, those who are will ban us.

In the next month, Sportsmen will learn who supports us and who opposes us.

Those who remain silent on this issue provide tacit support to the effort to ban lead shot.

This is just one of the many examples that are showing us that elections matter.

=========================
For Immediate Release, August 3, 2010
Contact: Robert Johns, American Bird Conservancy, (202) 234-7181 x 210 Jeff Miller, Center for Biological Diversity, (510) 499-9185

National Ban on Lead-based Ammunition, Fishing Tackle Sought to End WildlifePoisoning

Lead Still a Potent Killer of Millions of Wild Birds, Health Risk for Humans

WASHINGTON— A coalition of conservation, hunting and veterinary groups today filed a formal petition with the Environmental Protection Agency requesting a ban on the use of toxic lead in hunting ammunition and fishing tackle. Major efforts to reduce lead exposure to people have greatly reduced the amount of lead in the environment, but toxic lead is still a widespread killer in the wild, harming bald eagles, trumpeter swans, endangered California condors and other wildlife.

“It’s long past time do something about this deadly – and preventable – epidemic of lead poisoning in the wild,” said Jeff Miller of the Center for Biological Diversity. “Over the past several decades we’ve wisely taken steps to get lead out of our gasoline, paint, water pipes and other sources that are dangerous to people. Now it’s time to get the lead out of hunting and fishing sports to save wildlife from needless poisoning.”

An estimated 10 million to 20 million birds and other animals die each year from lead poisoning in the United States. This occurs when animals scavenge on carcasses shot and contaminated with lead bullet fragments, or pick up and eat spent lead-shot pellets or lost fishing weights, mistaking them for food or grit. Some animals die a painful death from lead poisoning while others suffer for years from its debilitating effects.

“The science on this issue is massive in breadth and unimpeachable in its integrity,” said George Fenwick, president of American Bird Conservancy. “Hundreds of peer-reviewed studies show continued lead poisoning of large numbers of birds and other animals, and this petition is a prudent step to safeguard wildlife and reduce unacceptable human health risks.”

American Bird Conservancy, Center for Biological Diversity, Association of Avian Veterinarians, Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility, and the hunters’ group Project Gutpile are asking for the ban under the Toxic Substances Control Act, which regulates dangerous chemicals in the United States.

"As a hunter in California, compliance with the recent state nonlead ammunition regulation has been simple," said Anthony Prieto, a hunter and co-founder of Project Gutpile, a hunter's group that provides educational resources for lead-free hunters and anglers. "I still get to hunt, there is no toxic impact on wildlife or my health, and copper bullets shoot better."

The petition references nearly 500 peer-reviewed scientific studies that starkly illustrate the widespread dangers from lead ammunition and fishing tackle. Lead is an extremely toxic substance that is dangerous to people and wildlife even at low levels. Exposure can cause a range of health effects, from acute poisoning and death to long-term problems such as reduced reproduction, inhibition of growth and damage to neurological development. In the United States, 3,000 tons of lead are shot into the environment by hunting every year, another 80,000 tons are released at shooting ranges, and 4,000 tons are lost in ponds and streams as fishing lures and sinkers. At least 75 wild bird species are poisoned by spent lead ammunition, including bald eagles, golden eagles, ravens and endangered California condors. Despite being banned in 1992 for hunting waterfowl, spent lead shotgun pellets continue to be frequently ingested by swans, cranes, ducks, geese, loons and other waterfowl. These birds also consume lead-based fishing tackle lost in lakes and rivers, often with deadly consequences.

Lead ammunition also poses health risks to people. Lead bullets explode and fragment into minute particles in shot game and can spread throughout meat that humans eat. Studies using radiographs show that numerous, imperceptible, dust-sized particles of lead can infect meat up to a foot and a half away from the bullet wound, causing a greater health risk to humans who consume lead-shot game than previously thought. A recent study found that up to 87 percent of cooked game killed by lead ammunition can contain unsafe levels of lead. State health agencies have had to recall venison donated to feed the hungry because of lead contamination from lead bullet fragments. Nearly 10 million hunters, their families and low-income beneficiaries of venison donations may be at risk.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-05-2010, 09:09 PM   #2

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Good thing I have plenty of sinkers, lead bar stock, a melting ladel and bullet molds.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:37 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poink88 View Post

Lead ammunition also poses health risks to people. Lead bullets explode and fragment into minute particles in shot game and can spread throughout meat that humans eat. Studies using radiographs show that numerous, imperceptible, dust-sized particles of lead can infect meat up to a foot and a half away from the bullet wound, causing a greater health risk to humans who consume lead-shot game than previously thought. A recent study found that up to 87 percent of cooked game killed by lead ammunition can contain unsafe levels of lead. State health agencies have had to recall venison donated to feed the hungry because of lead contamination from lead bullet fragments. Nearly 10 million hunters, their families and low-income beneficiaries of venison donations may be at risk.
Its amazing that the human population is even existant right? I mean come on. I grew up eating meat that was killed with a lead bullet as well as a bunch of my friends. What about the people that ate wild game for every meal? I'll take my risks....

Old 08-06-2010, 04:48 AM   #4

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoroque View Post
Its amazing that the human population is even existant right? I mean come on. I grew up eating meat that was killed with a lead bullet as well as a bunch of my friends. What about the people that ate wild game for every meal? I'll take my risks....
Exactly. The forefathers (for those of you who have relations in this country going back several generations) ate game killed with hand-made balls shot out of black power muskets and they survived. I guess the human animal here in the United States has gotten so soft that even being in the same room with a piece of lead shot is fatal. Or that's what the eco-whores would have you think. I believe it's time to ban the EPA and get rid of these do-gooders who have their own "control freak" agendas.

Old 08-06-2010, 05:00 AM   #5
Resident JackHole
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 350 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 58

I do see their point... There are plenty of other metals that have a high density we could use for the same things, but they would be slightly more expensive. I don't seriously see this going anywhere though.

No, you can't take my gun. I'm gonna need it when you try to take my truck...

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm a mechanic. I fix things. This is why I will never be able to hold public office.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:14 AM   #6

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry_bald_guy View Post
I do see their point... There are plenty of other metals that have a high density we could use for the same things, but they would be slightly more expensive. I don't seriously see this going anywhere though.
If you are thinking about copper alloys, think again. They contain trace amounts of arsenic...

If they contain vanadium, serious poisons there. Molybenum? Even worse.

Show me where any use of lead has caused serious problems in the environment, and I will show you how the lefties can twist any use of substitute metals in the same direction. All metals are poisonous in large enough amounts.

Cali was able to ban the use of lead because groups like the Sierra Club made the case that fish and birds that ingested lead from fishing and hunting were being eaten by the endagered Condors, and thusly poisoned by fishermen and bird hunters. It is so stupid, it burns.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 08-06-2010, 06:33 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
I agree that it will not go anywhere.
I do not agree that we can use other metals to accomplish the job that lead currently has.
Skull had a good point and I'll add to it.
THe cost to make sinkers and bullets out of anything but lead will bump the price up. Can you imagine how much a sold copper allow bullet or sinker would cost. It wouldn't be a problem for the government, but it would be a problem for us.
Also, what are they going to do with all of the surplus ammo and millions of sinkers? What about all of the random sources of lead? Lead is freakin everywhere!
People are going to melt it down and use it anyways.

Prohibition didn't exactly work either.

"This is my rifle, this is my gun." "This is for fighting, this is for fun." -Full Metal Jacket

"I joined the Navy to drink in foreign countries and fornicate." -unknown

Old 08-06-2010, 06:53 AM   #8

The fact is that I don't see their point at all. Sure, ban lead paint since parents can't seem to keep their kids from eating it.

Ban lead for every use because tree huggers know better.

This is one of those really stupid things that the environmentalists push just like getting rid of fossil fuels because they are the worst thing ever to the environment. Keep in mind that we are all gonna die soon because of mans use of lead and fossil fuels.

Hell, even Dennis Kucinich knows how bad lead can be. He wants the Coast Guard to stop live fire practice because it puts lead in the Great Lakes and in the Oceans. We all know how smart that guy is.

From C3Shooter:

Quote:

Old 08-06-2010, 07:13 AM   #9
Resident JackHole
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 350 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 58

So in other words, they are using the same damn argument they used for DDT?

No, you can't take my gun. I'm gonna need it when you try to take my truck...

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm a mechanic. I fix things. This is why I will never be able to hold public office.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:31 AM   #10

Quote:
So in other words, they are using the same damn argument they used for DDT?
Kinda, sorta. DDT was some nasty shat, but not nearly as harmful as they made it out to be. Remember, DDT was gonna kill the kids, the elderly and all of our pets. Then it turns out that the diseases the skeeters transmit are more deadly than the DDT. The difference is that the world fell in line with the DDT thingy and malaria and some other nasty stuff is still around. Lead shot and sinkers are just harmful to the endangered birds of prey, so far...

From C3Shooter:

Quote: