Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > English: The official American Language? What do you think?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2008, 09:18 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
My great, great, great grandparents were from Germany; farmers in the mid-west. They demanded their kids learn english and teach them to speak it as they wanted to be Americans. Not German Americans; Americans. I still celebrate my heritage but I am more proud of that decision made by my family 100 years ago to become American. It's English, learn it or leave!!
And THAT shows the great divide between the good, hard working, honest class of people that immigrated here a generation or two ago, ones that wanted to assimilate into the nation and the type of folks we have moving here today.

JD

Old 07-23-2008, 09:55 PM   #22

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am tired of seeing Spanish billboards, Spanish commercials on network channels, and hearing Spanish advertisements in Home Depot over the loudspeaker. Most election coverage was framed on how the candidates were after the "Latino" vote, when a large percentage of them aren't even Americans.

English for the win. I'd even vote for British or Australian English if that were my only option.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:21 PM   #23

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Never better stated

"In the first place we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the man's becoming in very fact an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag, which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization, just as much as it excludes any foreign flag of a nation to which we are hostile...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1919

People get the government they deserve.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:51 PM   #24

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Maybe we should start by calling blacks blacks instead of African Armericans! Not one of them is an African immigrant, they were all born here! So what the hell is that about?

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 07-26-2008, 06:35 AM   #25

Does it really matter?

The fact is that most of the US does speak English. Most everything is in English; of the 900 some channels on cable I have, all are English; except 3 Spanish channels. Hell, my Microsoft Word program has a Spelling/Grammar check, and it does not recognize correctly spelled Spanish words; it wants me to change them.

Obviously Spanish is the 2nd largest language spoken by US residents. That’s why you have to press numero uno for Espanol. Since Spanish is a widely spoken language in the US, of course businesses will have Spanish speaking operators/represenatives; it’s a good way to gain more customers, and make money. Funny how there is not option to press 2 for Arabic, 3 for Indian, 4 for French, or 5 for German, etc…

It does not matter what is actually declared “offical;” English is the dominate language here, and it should stay that way for a while "I hope."

Even if it was the “Official” language, it would change nothing. I mean… what… is it going to be a mandatory law that you must be fluent in English "not a bad idea though?"

Hell, I can’t understand some people who do speak English; there should be an option to press 7 for New Yorker, 8 for Cajun/Creole, and a 9 for Redneck "it's a joke people; please don't get bent out of shape."

Mossberd 500...

Beretta 96...

Smith & Wesson M&P15T...

Last edited by JWIII; 07-26-2008 at 06:45 AM.

Old 07-27-2008, 03:36 AM   #26

So many letter writers have based their arguments on how this land is made up of immigrants. Ernie Lujan for one, suggests we should tear down the Statue of Liberty because the people now in question aren't being treated the same as those who passed through Ellis Island and other ports of entry.

Maybe we should turn to our history books and point out to people like Mr. Lujan why today's American is not willing to accept this new kind of immigrant any longer. Back in 1900 when there was a rush from all areas of Europe to come to the United States, people had to get off a ship and stand in a long line in New York and be documented . Some would even get down on their hands and knees and kiss the ground. They made a pledge to uphold the laws and support their new country in good and bad times. They made learning English a primary rule in their new American households and some even changed their names to blend in with their new home.

They had waved good bye to their birth place to give their children a new life and did everything in their power to help their children assimilate into one culture. Nothing was handed to them. No free lunches, no welfare, no labor laws to protect them. All they had were the skills and craftsmanship they had brought with them to trade for a future of prosperity.

Most of their children came of age when World War II broke out. My father fought along side men whose parents had come straight over from Germany , Italy , France and Japan . None of these 1st generation Americans ever gave any thought about what country their parents had come from. They were Americans fighting Hitler, Mussolini and the Emperor of Japan . They were defending the United States of America as one people.

When we liberated France , no one in those villages were looking for the French-American or the German American or the Irish American. The people of France saw only Americans. And we carried one flag that represented one country. Not one of those immigrant sons would have thought about picking up another country's flag and waving it to represent who they were. It would have been a disgrace to their parents who had sacrificed so much to be here. These immigrants truly knew what it meant to be an American. They stirred the melting pot into one red, white and blue bowl.!

And here we are in 2008 with a new kind of immigrant who wants the same rights and privileges, only they want to achieve it by playing with a different set of rules, one that includes the entitlement card and a guarantee of being faithful to their mother country. I'm sorry, that's not what being an American is all about. I believe that the immigrants who landed on Ellis Island in the early 1900's deserve better than that for all the toil , hard work and sacrifice in raising future generations to create a land that has become a beacon for those legally searching for a better life. I think they would be appalled that they are being used as an example by those waving foreign country flags.

And for that suggestion about taking down the Statue of Liberty , it happens to mean a lot to the citizens who are voting on the immigration bill. I wouldn't start talking about dismantling the UNITED STATES just yet.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:07 AM   #27

Default one nation under GOD

America could never be defeated from outside attackers if we were United and righteous in GODs eyes. Why speak English? and be united? because divided we fall easier. Even the LEGAL immigrants that come and assimilate are mad at the Illegal immigrants. Get involved in politicts today and maybe we won't have to talk about this stuff in 10 years.

Politicians are marching the USA to (*soshialism) today, please help stop it.(* censorship bypass)

after toning down and cooling the blood

wrench

<striving to enter at the narrow gate>

Old 07-27-2008, 10:56 AM   #28
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
Maybe we should start by calling blacks blacks instead of African Armericans! Not one of them is an African immigrant, they were all born here! So what the hell is that about?
+1

A guy I know tried to take advantage of an affirmative-action program because he was from Africa and had recently become an American citizen. He was denied. Why? Because he's white. It's got nothing to do with where you're from or what your economic status is. It's all about the color of your skin.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:49 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
"In the first place we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the man's becoming in very fact an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag, which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization, just as much as it excludes any foreign flag of a nation to which we are hostile...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1919

I am going to vote for hell yes English should be our national language...

JD
Mr. Roosevelt had a lot going on in that brain of his. The main thing that has made this country great is the diversity of people coming America. We have (or at least used to) take the best from each and blend into our culture to develop a unique place. The best minds, the best art, the best living arrangements in the world. Because we have used these cultures to improve ourselves instead of isolating, shunning, or discounting them is a testament to our ingenuity. Having said that, without a common language, this interaction cannot take place easily. English is the most spoken language of the world. This makes it possible to communicate effectively. It worked with Greek at the time of Christ to spread the Word to the world and it works now to enable world commerce. I agree that if a person comes to this country to get a better life, they should assimilate to our country, not try to make it a copy of what they left behind. This has happened to a large extent in England. At what point did we turn from a democracy to being governed by the minority? When did voting on an issue stop being the way to go and we bend over backward to accomodate one person at the expense of the masses? I think that is what has happened with our language. At one time, English blended other languages to create a common tongue. Most every language in the world is represented by it to an extent. And just because it is declared the national language does not exclude other languages.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:30 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1800 Times on 1287 Posts
Likes Given: 2026

Default Universal Language.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2offroad View Post
I caught Lou Dobbs on CNN this evening, and he was discussing the topic of making English the "official" national language. He quoted a poll which puts this idea at about a 90 percent approval nationally and his own poll (run during the show) the idea came in at 94% in favor.

I have my own feelings, but I'd like to know what you all think. If it's the will of the people, shouldn't English be the National language?

Yes or No? (or maybe?)

-Peter
That would be sign language, after Chinese.......

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........