English: The official American Language? What do you think?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > English: The official American Language? What do you think?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2008, 01:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default English: The official American Language? What do you think?

I caught Lou Dobbs on CNN this evening, and he was discussing the topic of making English the "official" national language. He quoted a poll which puts this idea at about a 90 percent approval nationally and his own poll (run during the show) the idea came in at 94% in favor.

I have my own feelings, but I'd like to know what you all think. If it's the will of the people, shouldn't English be the National language?

Yes or No? (or maybe?)

-Peter

"The will of the people is the only legitimate foundation of any government, and to protect its free expression should be our first object."
-Thomas Jefferson

NRA Member

Last edited by live2offroad; 07-10-2008 at 01:52 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-10-2008, 01:48 AM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Yes...although since this debate first surfaced in the 1970's my Spanish has improved...

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 07-10-2008, 01:57 AM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

"In the first place we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the man's becoming in very fact an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag, which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization, just as much as it excludes any foreign flag of a nation to which we are hostile...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1919

I am going to vote for hell yes English should be our national language...

JD

Old 07-10-2008, 02:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
"In the first place we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the man's becoming in very fact an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag, which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization, just as much as it excludes any foreign flag of a nation to which we are hostile...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1919

JD
Damn fine quote!

-Peter

"The will of the people is the only legitimate foundation of any government, and to protect its free expression should be our first object."
-Thomas Jefferson

NRA Member

Old 07-10-2008, 02:34 AM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

English should be our national language in government. English only for all official business. That said, there's nothing wrong with learning another language, or keeping another language alive in your home.

I wouldn't want people to think we hate the use of other than English. It mostly happened that way earlier in our history and I think we lost the ability to use more than one. My maternal grandmother came here speaking German a century ago, but by the time I came around, she didn't know a word of it. My little girl's mother speaks Tagalog, but for personal reasons, she'll never teach our girl. I think she'll lose something by not knowing it, but then again, it will keep her out of a language ghetto as it were, because all the Tagalog speakers I know generally spend time speaking among themselves and others around who don't know it aren't part of the group.

Too many of America's enemies here will use "English only" sentiment as a cudgel against us. Racist, bigot, and other epithets will - and already are - used about those of us who want to maintain the integrity of American culture. American culture is based on language and rule of law, not skin color, not racial group, not religion. By keeping those non English speakers in their own language ghetto, the opponents of English only perpetuate their power structure in the communities where English isn't spoken. Talk about racism and bigotry. We know those who speak English have a better chance at succeeding in life, but of course, they wouldn't need the "services" of those who currently oppress them would they?

9x18=Makarov

Old 07-10-2008, 04:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post

Theodore Roosevelt 1919

JD
like that quote. but tell that to the immigration country i live in.... *shakes head* alot of the immigrants i see and talk to here act like there better than non-immigrants. Not to say all of them do. But alot..... so throw that question up to all canadians including immigrants and youll get no's. But i think its a good idea

Last edited by Braeden; 07-10-2008 at 05:20 AM.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:44 AM   #7
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braeden View Post
like that quote. but tell that to the immigration country i live in.... *shakes head* alot of the immigrants i see and talk to here act like there better than non-immigrants. Not to say all of them do. But alot..... so throw that question up to all canadians including immigrants and youll get no's. But i think its a good idea
We have family in Toronto and we visit them often, and it is clear to see that Canada is a salad bowl where the U.S. is (supposed to be) a melting pot. Multiculturalism versus a single culture. Personally, I prefer the latter.

American English should be the official language (unless we want to learn to spell funny...colour, theatre, centre).

For immigrants to do anything other than assimilate into their host country shows incredible hubris. If you love the old country, stay there. If you love the opportunities presented in your new country, assimilate.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:17 PM   #8

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I thought it was!? If "We" decide to use a language OTHER than english for our national language, let's make it fun and pick one NOBODY knows, like Navajo or Zulu. That way we all have to learn a new language, not just the english speaking people.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fapprez View Post
I thought it was!? If "We" decide to use a language OTHER than english for our national language, let's make it fun and pick one NOBODY knows, like Navajo or Zulu. That way we all have to learn a new language, not just the english speaking people.
Nope it's just the accepted use language...

I'm for the idea, I believe we are a Nation of many that try to stand together and that an accepted and unified use of language would make that easier..

-Peter

-Thomas Jefferson

NRA Member

Old 07-11-2008, 02:00 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2995 Times on 1560 Posts
Likes Given: 279

My favorite argument about being "Racist" for supporting English as the official language is:

Hispanic is not a Race, it is an Ethnicity. Hispanics are generally white (there are some Black Hispanics ie some Panamanians, Dominicans, Haitians etc.). Sorry, my brown brothers, you are white like me, get over it.

You may call me an Ethnist if you chose, but certainly not a Racist.

English 1st, 2nd and always. English is the most common language in international business transactions. When the French sign a contract with an American company, it is in English (most of the time). Shen a German company signs a contract with a company in Mozambique, it is in English.

There is no room in this country for a hyphenated American. Become an American or leave. I am not a Scottish-Welsh-Swedish-German-Blackfoot-American. I am an American.