End of Days Vehicle: Gasoline? Or Diesel?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > End of Days Vehicle: Gasoline? Or Diesel?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2011, 11:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default End of Days Vehicle: Gasoline? Or Diesel?

We used to have a thread on this sort of thing, but it was a couple of years ago and I think it went into lock down over a "Jeep thing" back and forth between a couple of knuckleheads that are no longer with us.

So you have a monthly stipend that you have decided to spend on building a SHTF, get-away, End of Days vehicle. This has to be a "public can buy it" vehicle purchase that isn't already done up with armor and run flat tires and air filtration and all that crap.

It's a project vehicle. Let's say it's a 12 month project, but you aren't afraid to take a 3 or 4 year loan on the initial investment to purchase, but you want to have say over what gets installed, and by who.

First question: Gas or Diesel? And why?

Now I have a buddy who will only buy diesel rigs. He does something to the engines and is able to run them on heating oil or something that he has delivered to his house once every three months, so he is never concerned with finding diesel fuel to "buy" when he is out and about. He's got some big monster tank, waits for the best price, buys in bulk and goes on his merry way. Claims it's the only way to go, diesel won't burn as easily, doesn't explode without a serious pre-explosion, the engines produce more torque, run in worse weather, blah, blah, blah.

What I don't know about engines can ALMOST be shoe-horned into the Grand Friggin Canyon, so please don't assume I will have any idea what you are talking about when you copy and paste something from a tech manual.

So, we know Space Zombies are going to bring it in 12 months, Team FTF has to build, on a money allowance, our SHTF, when it's time to go, it's time to GO vehicle.

Serious thoughts?? And can we keep the big dump truck photos and the Cat 180 excavators out of the equation please?

Ready, set, build....

JD

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-11-2011, 11:14 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I have never owned diesel, but I think it's the way to go. There are other fuels that it can run, like Biodiesel, Kerosene and I think you can even burn jet fuel.

That's about all I have for now. I was a great carpenter, but I'm a lousy mechanic.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-11-2011, 11:29 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'd start with a 1980's F350 4x4 truck or box van etc. w/ 460 or 429 v-8 converted to LP. There are LP plants and filling stations all over creation that can be used to refill, the fuel does not go bad and it could even be refilled (to some degree) off the LP tank in peoples yards.

[]]]]]]]]]]]]\>
"----)_'_\--(
"--------\--\
"---------\_/

Old 07-11-2011, 11:42 PM   #4

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Having just entered into the diesel realm, I would go this route. I never plan on buying another gas truck again. The diesels last longer and can tow more. If SHTF, I would think diesel would be easier to obtain because it is not as refined as gas.

I would be interested in hearing more about what steps your friend took to run his truck on heating oil.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:43 PM   #5

Interesting concept jca1. Would the LP conversion be able to pass current emissions inspections as this would be done to an older vehicle and would NO DOUBT be subject to such problems.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:44 PM   #6

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Interesting concept jca1. Would the LP conversion be able to pass current emissions inspections as this would be done to an older vehicle and would NO DOUBT be subject to such problems.
If SHTF emissions inspections would not be an issue.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroxAZ View Post
If SHTF emissions inspections would not be an issue.
Agreed. Missing the point however. We are buying this vehicle NOW, with a 12 month build plan for the eventual SHTF situation. Therefor, we would need it to be legal in the meantime.

Diesel? Gas? LP conversion?

Old 07-11-2011, 11:49 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It would not be terribly difficult to find a 80's model LP service truck already converted and rebuild it or simply do it in your garage while no one is looking. No one will care about smog after the aliens arrive. I have catalogs where I could order everything needed to convert as these parts are still readily available to repair existing installations.

[]]]]]]]]]]]]\>
"----)_'_\--(
"--------\--\
"---------\_/

Old 07-11-2011, 11:57 PM   #9

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Stick with the deisel. You could probably render the fat from the space zombies (assuming they have body fat) and use it as additional fuel!

Won't LP go boom, say if you were under fire?

"Ideology deludes, inspires dishonesty, and breeds fanaticism. Facts, experience, and logic are much better at leading you to the truth."

"Despite the conviction and seeming depth of knowledge with which ideologues speak, they are intellectual weaklings--joiners--who defer to systems of belief and charismatic gurus for their ideas." -- Daniel J. Flynn

GOA

Old 07-12-2011, 12:03 AM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

One more vote for diesel. Many more ways to convert to accept alternative fuels. A dually crew cab would be best for towing, pushing, hauling, mounting a Ma Deuce, transportation, etc, etc. Brush guard is a definite. Manufacture window cages now and just allow for easy install when the SHTF.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!