Emergency Rooms in America: A Deadly Prognosis - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Emergency Rooms in America: A Deadly Prognosis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2008, 10:06 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
I would hold your judgement until you experience it.... You already paid as much in taxes as we do, the problem is you have no idea where yours is spent! .
I have experienced it, fairly arrogant of you to assume me to be uninformed and inexperienced. I make no such judgment of you, I only offer an opinion based on my experience and research, my assumption is you are doing the same. Also, arrogant of you to say that I don't know where my tax dollars go. I do know where my tax dollars go (at least the released values published by our government) and I am very disturbed when I see what is slipped into the budget lines. I could care less about the indigo snake or his protection funded by my tax dollars. I do care about the amount of fraud that is in the welfare, social security and medicare system. If you refer to the "double tax" as being the income, sales, and property tax (to be accurate, we are actually taxed more than twice in some cases) you are correct. I only hope that others share my frustration with seeing our money being given away to others that have no intent of contributing to our society. I have no issue with helping someone when they are down, but we have not the backbone politically to say "no more, you are a drain on society, we have given you chances and you have wasted them all." Once we kick the door open for another "freebie" the quality of our health care will begin to circle the toliet bowl. Do I think everyone should have access to health care? Absolutely, no question in my mind. We are out of money, the well is dry. Socialized in my country? To put it as succinctly as possible..hell no.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:36 PM   #12

I'm new so i'm not trying to make emenies. I can see both sides of this health problem. socialized meds would be great but nobody wants to pay for it. I spend alot of the winter months in Canada and the health care is good but the taxes there are horrible. it makes life hard for anyone that is not rich. The people that are clogging up the ER need to get on medical assistance. it's free (our tax dollars) well sort of.. they just need to get off their butts and do the paperwork. I am sorry this is going to make people mad but think about this. We need leaders that put our best interests first ie Ron Paul. So we can raise taxes to provide for people who can't. I know everyone could shell out more for taxes if they knew it was worth it

Old 03-14-2008, 01:27 AM   #13

Quote:
There is to be expected to be some delay at ER notwithstanding, by virtue of the triage etc., I do not understand your arguement against socialized medicine, I have called medical services in the US a couple of times and I spent more time explaining how the bill was going to be paid before being treated! I was stiched up with a knife wound in my side in Nairobi one year and it was free......... I attended an ER in Anson, Texas with an infection in my gum, doctor looked at it (approximately 2 minutes 30 seconds), the bill was $123......14 tablets at $94, give me national health care anytime.....
Mr. Boris my biggest problem with socialized healthcare is exactly what you are talking about I will try to break this up into two parts so you can understand my point more clearly. First you said your ER bill was $123.00 and 14 pills $94.00. First those were YOUR charges. In socialized healthcare my tax dollars would pay for anyone who walks through the door of the ER. I feel that is your responsibility to be fiancially responsible for your bills. If I go to the doctor I fully expect to pay his fee or I don't go. I would never expect my neighbor to pay my bill. I don't hold anyone more accountable than myself. If you rack up a bill pay it. Simple right?
Secondly the cost of healthcare and drugs. The hospital you went to didn't make a fortune off your visit. The doctors make around $200 an hour to work ER. You have to pay the nurses at about $30.00 an hour and all the support staff, like X-ray, respiratory, lab, even housekeeping. If you regulate the cost of treatment, you will effective drive some medical staff to seek employment in other fields. I can't afford a pay cut can you? How many people are going to pursue medical school knowing they will be indebt close to half a million dollars when they graduate, if they can't make the big bucks? As far a prescription drug cost go, look at what it cost to develop a single drug. Usually upwards of 10 million dollars and usually 15 to 20 years per drug! If you mandate lower drug costs how many new drugs do you think will be developed? You would think it was wrong to put a profit limit on any free enterprise business right? Why should drug companies be any different? The American government is making over .50 cent per gallon of gas sold in this country. There are no politicians demanding lowering gas tax or OPEC to lower the cost. This would be unethical. I hate paying $3.43 for a gallon of gas, but even the oil companies have a right to make a profit. If you restrict drug companies you are just putting a demise on the future delelopments of new drugs. Money is an incentive to all things great. I value my job as a registered nurse, and I don't think the goverment has any business in the private sector to begin with. There is nothing in the constitution that guarentees health insurance. The only 2 jobs of the government are to defend this nation and protect and follow the constitution, and it is the President's job to make sure the government does their job. If this was followed we wouldn't be arguing of what to do with my tax dollars.
Proud NRA member

Last edited by MarkoPo; 03-14-2008 at 01:31 AM.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:48 AM   #14

I have no way to convince you that this neo conserative propoganda is incorrect, but the inflated cost of your medical care is due completely because you are all at the mercy of self intersted parties. In a civilized country in the 21st. century are you telling me that health care for it's people should be totally placed in the hands of insurance companies whose sole motorvation is the profit for the shareholders, in drug companies that are in a position to charges what they like for their product?

You know and I know that there are a large proportion of the population who are good hard working people but for one reason or another, usually poor wages and conditions of service, have no health care. In the event that you have to resort to your health care provider, will they stand for all these inflated medical bills? If you have a serious existing medical condition will you be able to afford the medical care you deserve?

Health care is the state of the nation, and should be free at point of need.............

It's alright spouting that the goverment has only two duties, the protection of the consititution and the defence of the country, it's neo-conservative rubbish. You are paying huge amounts in tax and you have no idea where it is going, I truely hope that you are and remain in good health, otherwise you will be handed over to the money grabbing self interested parties.

Oh by the way it's just Boris, no need for the attitude pal..........

Old 03-14-2008, 04:51 PM   #15

Default health care

marcopo. in aust i have to pay $500 per year as an earning adult ,because i earn over $50000 a year i have to pay an extra $500 to qualify for medicare. this allows me to access free health care at hospitals or doctors offices. this includes all treatment and drugs. if a doctor writes a prescription for medicine from his office it will cost a maximum of $28.00. even if more than one medicine required. wife has had two kids in public hospitals 3 days stay each time,obgyn and midwife all free. any civilised country should have universal healthcare!!!!!

Old 03-15-2008, 06:54 AM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Health care is the state of the nation, and should be free at point of need.............

It's alright spouting that the goverment has only two duties, the protection of the consititution and the defence of the country, it's neo-conservative rubbish. ...
First, it isn't "free". That is what you cannot seem to grasp. Do you think that a company out of the goodness of its heart will simply donate meds and equipment for the good of mankind? If they did, they wouldn't be around long to do so anyway. Free? C'mon. What you mean is it is free to those who do not contribute to the system. Do I drive on the roads in my country for free? No. I pay a large fuel tax in order to use them. The list goes on. Talk about not knowing where the money goes or comes from. Someone will pay for it.

Secondly, the "neo conservative rubbish" comment about my Country and her Constitution...well you lost your say on that one in 1776.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:42 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly68 View Post
First, it isn't "free". That is what you cannot seem to grasp. Do you think that a company out of the goodness of its heart will simply donate meds and equipment for the good of mankind? If they did, they wouldn't be around long to do so anyway. Free? C'mon. What you mean is it is free to those who do not contribute to the system. Do I drive on the roads in my country for free? No. I pay a large fuel tax in order to use them. The list goes on. Talk about not knowing where the money goes or comes from. Someone will pay for it.

Secondly, the "neo conservative rubbish" comment about my Country and her Constitution...well you lost your say on that one in 1776.

Apparently free is a "relative" term. It's "free" to those who don't contribute. I see perfect examples of what people who don't contribute consider "free". 21 year old guys who willingly accept EBT(electronic version of foodstamps) just because they don't have a job despite being able bodied. Yet they wear $50 jeans and $150 sneakers. It's easy to drive a brand new $25,000 car when your housing is either state owned or subsidized, you don't pay for food and you don't pay for health care and the state pays the heating bill all winter. And I wonder why my taxes go up every year if this stuff is "free". Well stated Hillbilly.

Last edited by jeepcreep927; 03-15-2008 at 08:49 AM.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:37 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcreep927 View Post
Apparently free is a "relative" term. It's "free" to those who don't contribute. I see perfect examples of what people who don't contribute consider "free". 21 year old guys who willingly accept EBT(electronic version of foodstamps) just because they don't have a job despite being able bodied. Yet they wear $50 jeans and $150 sneakers. It's easy to drive a brand new $25,000 car when your housing is either state owned or subsidized, you don't pay for food and you don't pay for health care and the state pays the heating bill all winter. And I wonder why my taxes go up every year if this stuff is "free". Well stated Hillbilly.
The subject was healthcare, not welfare, if you guys can not grasp the point we have been trying to make than thats OK..... I have no idea of the point you are making, the concept is 'Free to all at the point of need', in other words if you are a legal resident, and a national of the country you reside, then working people contribute through their taxes, and if you need to seek medical assistance it is provided. The care is as good as anywhere in the world and better than most.

No shortfall in insurance cover putting your home at risk, no one is denied medical cover because of an exsisting medical problem, or because they are disadvantaged as they have been born in some way disabled..... If you can't grasp the concept that's fine...... It works, it's fair and my taxes are no more than yours overall, being concervative does not mean uncaring, or selfish...

Old 03-15-2008, 10:18 AM   #19

I realize it's not the same benefit, for lack of a better term, but it perpetuates the latter.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:11 PM   #20

Quote:
I have no way to convince you that this neo conserative propoganda is incorrect, but the inflated cost of your medical care is due completely because you are all at the mercy of self intersted parties.
Coud you please define self interested parties for me here? Do you me the insurance companies or the institutions that have to charge just to keep the doors open?

Quote:
In a civilized country in the 21st. century are you telling me that health care for it's people should be totally placed in the hands of insurance companies whose sole motorvation is the profit for the shareholders, in drug companies that are in a position to charges what they like for their product?
Yes that is exactly what I am saying. The government doesn't develop and manufacture drugs, they are made by independently owned companies, which many do have share holders. In America, businesses are responsible to their shareolders first, consmers (you and I) second.

Quote:
You know and I know that there are a large proportion of the population who are good hard working people but for one reason or another, usually poor wages and conditions of service, have no health care. In the event that you have to resort to your health care provider, will they stand for all these inflated medical bills? If you have a serious existing medical condition will you be able to afford the medical care you deserve?
That is a common misconception here. Everyone in this country has healthcare available to them. Yes I am fortunate, I have a good job with some of the best health insurance available; I work in a hospital. There is already a lot of free and reduced fee services in this country. The VA for example will treat vetreans of the military. Oh, I also work for a drug and alcohol rehabilitation facility. We have many clients who have no insurance, no job, no money. We provide them with free medication, free housing, and free psychiatric services. I give away thousands of dollars worth of psychotropic medications a week.

Quote:

It's alright spouting that the goverment has only two duties, the protection of the consititution and the defence of the country, it's neo-conservative rubbish. You are paying huge amounts in tax and you have no idea where it is going, I truely hope that you are and remain in good health, otherwise you will be handed over to the money grabbing self interested parties.

Oh by the way it's just Boris, no need for the attitude pal..........
I don't understand your point about healthcare being in the state of the nation, it's not a right by any means. If you mean it should be free, do you mean free to you or free to me? If the goverment pays the bill, that is my tax dollars, so it is far from free to me. I am all for individual rights. You pay for yours, I'll pay for mine. If you call that neo-conseratism I guess that's what I am. I appreciate the gesture that I remain in good health, as do I hope your health is well also. Yes I pay a lot of taxes, I think my wife and I paid around $15,000 last year in taxes. I know a lot of it goes to support social welfare, the overpopulation of prisons, funding the defense of our great nation, and paying the members of Congress. As far as calling you Mister, that was by no means to disrespect you. I applogize if it conveyed an attitude in your eyes.
Proud NRA member

Last edited by MarkoPo; 03-15-2008 at 09:16 PM.