Elitists
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Elitists


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2009, 02:53 PM   #1
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
notdku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hill Country,Texas
Posts: 5,563
Liked 702 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 729

Default Elitists

Why is it that stores who specialize in a niche tend to be jerks.

Gun shops, tobacco/pipe shops, bicycle shops, etc.

You go in there and almost always the owner/Manager is having an in depth conversation with some regular and totally ignores the other customers. Then when you ask a question it's like your bothering them.
__________________
Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.
notdku is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 11-12-2009, 03:30 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
stalkingbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bloomfield,Ky
Posts: 3,829
Liked 167 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Default

I don't know about other stores but right now gun shops are selling guns & related items so much that they don't have to worry about "little people". It's the wrong attitude and will ultimately cost them serious business in the long run.
__________________
Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!
stalkingbear is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 03:33 PM   #3
Is it Friday yet?
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Troy Michalik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bastrop,Texas
Posts: 2,475
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

So, was it a gun, pipe or bike shop that is being a DH? And I'm not talking about a Designated Hitter.
__________________
- Make everything count -


Troy Michalik is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 06:41 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
orangello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 19,154
Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Default

The pipe shops i frequent are always staffed by very mellow individuals, but helpfulness can vary. (as best as i recall)
__________________
Dead Bears, the only good kind.
orangello is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:05 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Gatekeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Uniontown,PA
Posts: 3,710
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Default

Some of the worst "elitest" places are flyshops. Some shops are really good but others suck A$$.
I am a die-hard flyfisherman for over 20years and some of those places can be real snobby.
Its like others said, no actual knowledgeis required to work there, but they'll look down their noses at you in a hurry.
You have to drive the new range rover and wear all the LL Bean clothing and orvis accesories to fit in and be a "Pro". Actually flyfishing for these posers is considered optional
__________________
----------Gate
______________________________________________
Hellfire, Doom, Watch the hatred spin
Beyond the speed of sound---
Fire it up, Let the engines roll
It's time to burn it down
Gatekeeper is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:32 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
markerdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Desert Southwest,Nevada
Posts: 381
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
Some of the worst "elitest" places are flyshops. Some shops are really good but others suck A$$.
I am a die-hard flyfisherman for over 20years and some of those places can be real snobby.
Its like others said, no actual knowledgeis required to work there, but they'll look down their noses at you in a hurry.
You have to drive the new range rover and wear all the LL Bean clothing and orvis accesories to fit in and be a "Pro". Actually flyfishing for these posers is considered optional
That's why I shop on-line.............markerdown
__________________
USAF, Retired .. "From My Cold Dead Hands!"

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." ........ Edward R. Murrow
markerdown is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:21 PM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
skullcrusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ohio,Ohio
Posts: 10,949
Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
Some of the worst "elitest" places are flyshops. Some shops are really good but others suck A$$.
I am a die-hard flyfisherman for over 20years and some of those places can be real snobby.
Its like others said, no actual knowledgeis required to work there, but they'll look down their noses at you in a hurry.
You have to drive the new range rover and wear all the LL Bean clothing and orvis accesories to fit in and be a "Pro". Actually flyfishing for these posers is considered optional
I've noticed this alot. Not wearing the right gear or buying the most expensive stuff means you are hack. I see these posers on the rivers, and they won't say hello if you don't have the orvis reel & rod or wearing the latest most expensive breathable waders. Oh, and you gotta have the $300 sunglasses to boot.
__________________
From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!


Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!
skullcrusher is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:50 PM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
OC357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 487
Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
I've noticed this alot. Not wearing the right gear or buying the most expensive stuff means you are hack. I see these posers on the rivers, and they won't say hello if you don't have the orvis reel & rod or wearing the latest most expensive breathable waders. Oh, and you gotta have the $300 sunglasses to boot.
Yeah, Orvis and their employees crack me up. I am over there looking at their "stuff" and they really have a lot of high priced equipment and they had some really beautiful shotguns and the cheapest one I saw was $28,000. No one paid attention to me cause I didn't have my $10,000 Orvis outfit on....haha

OC
__________________
"magbum"
OC357 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:00 PM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Jusselin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 379
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
I don't know about other stores but right now gun shops are selling guns & related items so much that they don't have to worry about "little people". It's the wrong attitude and will ultimately cost them serious business in the long run.
i know what you mean....i went into gander mountain back when i was buying my first pistol and the guy behind the counter was more interested in proving he knew more than me than helping me choose a pistol, so almost $3000 later and another location i moved on screw those people
Jusselin is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:43 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
matt g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,885
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
The pipe shops i frequent are always staffed by very mellow individuals, but helpfulness can vary. (as best as i recall)
We're not talking about that type of pipe shop, Orange.
__________________
"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.
matt g is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes




Newest Threads