Electrician??? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Electrician???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2013, 03:35 AM   #11
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 531 Times on 321 Posts

I am a union electrician and the pay and retirement is good for here in Texas 25.00 an hr. When you have so many Home Depot electricians that come over the border.
It brings the pay scale down for everyone.
It's a lot of math every day like algebra and trig.
It's not for everybody.

"Don't call me Sir, I work for a living"

"I'm an A**hole"

Old 06-24-2013, 03:43 AM   #12
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21723 Times on 12313 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

my father worked as an electrician most of his life. he learned the trade in the Air Force. he made very good money doing that type of work. he mainly worked in large companies doing commercial type work, not residential. at one time when we lived in Houston, he did subcontract out doing wiring jobs on new houses being built. a couple of the places he worked were union jobs and they paid even better. IMO, a very good trade to learn and master, and one that has the potential for good wages. good luck.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:16 AM   #13

Liked 2391 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I was a 4th year apprentice in the program for commercial/industrial. 110v to 13.5k services. I was making $12.95/hr when I left. Most licensed electricians were making 16-18/hr there. That's why I left. No money, no work.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:27 AM   #14

Liked 742 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 958

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater View Post
I was a 4th year apprentice in the program for commercial/industrial. 110v to 13.5k services. I was making $12.95/hr when I left. Most licensed electricians were making 16-18/hr there. That's why I left. No money, no work.
Im glad you decided to switch occupations, waiting for more river pics.....

The Founders DID anticipate that arms technology would advance, that's why the 2nd amendment doesn't say "the right to keep and bear a musket".......

Old 06-24-2013, 07:27 AM   #15
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2965 Times on 1709 Posts
Likes Given: 1273

There is also the field called "Electronic Technician".

But it is more intense than wiring a house. Just not as back breaking.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

WebleyFosbery38 Likes This 
Old 06-24-2013, 09:51 AM   #16
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6328 Times on 3158 Posts
Likes Given: 6815

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
There is also the field called "Electronic Technician".

But it is more intense than wiring a house. Just not as back breaking.
Thats me, Electronics Technician! Its good work, been doing it about 30 years. I apprenticed for it in a TV Shop. Not so many of us around anymore but the work still exists. Much of mine is in the Multimedia repair and installation world now but I still do allot of Scientific equipment repairs as well.

Trades as a whole are worthy career choices, you can get a paycheck while your learning and have no student loans when you get your shingle! Its not an easy schooling process, your going to eat allot of crap in most cases but once your trained, you have many choices including your own business.

Being a tradesperson is dangerous no doubt about it but ive known many and most Electricians have hurt themselves lifting not becoming part of the circuit. You tend to have a pretty cautious approach to your work when it involves E=IR (ohms law). The "I" Part can be a real killer if your not careful.

That $70.00 per hour prevailing wage thing is pretty nonstandard unless your in a city like Boston or NYC and unionized. Wow, thats pretty awesome pay, most Master Electricians in Upstate NY are more like 25 to 40 per hour, still pretty good pay considering your typical college grad is either unemployed, Underemployed or squeaking by on $15 and hour and paying college loans back.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:19 AM   #17

Liked 562 Times on 371 Posts

Working in a large city does pay well but it is a pain in the butt. Parking, people and theft ..... For the amount of knowledge Electricians need to safely complete their job we are grossly underpaid compared to other trades. Some plumbers in my area are close to or over 100/hour ..... that's ridiculous for what a plumber is ...... go on youtube and search "electrician vs. Plumber" funny stuff

Last edited by rurak; 06-24-2013 at 10:44 AM.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:05 AM   #18
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6328 Times on 3158 Posts
Likes Given: 6815

Quote:
Originally Posted by rurak View Post
Working in a large city does pay well but it is a pain in the butt. Parking, people and theft ..... For the amount of knowledge Electricians need to safely complete their job we are grossly underpaid compared to other trades. Some plumbers in my area are close to or over 100/hour ..... that's ridiculous for what a plumber is ...... go on youtube and search "electrician vs. Plumber" funny stuff
Unfortunately, that prevailing wage thing has ruined NY. Their is no such thing as a competitive bid process anymore, how can one exist when the state says how much everyone will be paid and sets all the other terms as well? If your not a huge business, you cant compete for anything with state or federal dollars attached to it and most things in this state have grants or funding from Sugar Daddy.

My business has gone downhill in the last 4 years because of it; to a point that its almost nonexistent. Good thing I have a good fulltime job cause Id be out of business otherwise.

Back to the thread, Electrician, Plumber, Carpenter, Pipe Fitter, Electronics Tech, Septic System Repair person and just about every Electro-Mechanical job you can imagine are in demand and always will be. The key is being the best at it otherwise you will likely age out before you can retire. Im a damn good Electronics Technician but Ive also got 21 years of the Military leadership training and experience to add to that. At 52, I dont have to be able to do everything as long as Im good at leading others and getting the job done.

Its all about the total package, be the best at whatever you do, love your work even if you dont love your employer, give great customer service and work harder than the person next to you!
Old 06-24-2013, 12:09 PM   #19
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2965 Times on 1709 Posts
Likes Given: 1273

The feds (bless their hearts) have a thing that is called "Wage determination statement".

That is used by government contractors for wage guidelines.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 06-25-2013, 02:49 AM   #20

Liked 367 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by idareya View Post
Any body out there an electrician? I was just wondering what they pay. Seems like an interesting job.
there are many different types of electrician's & as many different incomes. I myself do residential/commercial electric, my brother in law is a power plant electrician. needless to say he makes more than me at around $30 an hour, but I know nothing about how to do his job & he knows nothing about how to do mine. I took a year of electronics in college, other than ohm's law, there's not much of anything else from that course that's relevant to what I do. And vice-versa, an electrician will have a hell of a time being dropped into electronics

About 95% of our work is residential, we had a guy a few years ago working with us that hadn't wired a house in years, he did strictly commercial. He was clueless on how our system of 3 & 4 way switches were wired, he kept insisting we didn't have enough wires or we were using the wrong colors.

if you're interested in being an electrician, call a few companies & find out what kinda work they do, maybe see if they'll let you do some job shadowing. also find out your state requirements for registering, if you need to be enrolled in an apprenticeship program or graduate of a tech school, that kinda stuff

All I've had today is like 6 gummi bears & some scotch