Electrician???
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Electrician???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2013, 01:25 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 13 Posts

Default Electrician???

Any body out there an electrician? I was just wondering what they pay. Seems like an interesting job.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-24-2013, 01:49 AM   #2
The only democracy and friend in the region
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1760 Times on 979 Posts
Likes Given: 5330

Every electrician I met does not pay. They charge....

People Like This 
Old 06-24-2013, 01:50 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8868 Times on 3841 Posts
Likes Given: 1383

Very decent pay if you have been thru the whole program and are a licensed electrician. Wages vary greatly depending on region and specialty.

At the end of the day, you go home smelling like money. As opposed to a plumber, who usually smells like......

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 06-24-2013, 01:51 AM   #4
The only democracy and friend in the region
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1760 Times on 979 Posts
Likes Given: 5330

Bing has quite a few links showing the national pay scales.
http://www.bing.com/search?q=national+pay+scales+for+electricians&src= IE-TopResult&FORM=IE10TR

Old 06-24-2013, 01:54 AM   #5

Liked 562 Times on 371 Posts

I am a fully licensed Master Electrician in Massachusetts and New Hampshire. I am self employed. If I were to work for someone else I think 30-40/hr is reasonable ...... prevailing wage in Boston is around 70/hr. I love my trade but its a think ing man's job. You can't rush and really have to be able to plan ahead

Old 06-24-2013, 02:03 AM   #6

Liked 711 Times on 380 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by idareya
Any body out there an electrician? I was just wondering what they pay. Seems like an interesting job.
I just hired one for my plant at $23.59 an hour to start. Too out in the low $30's after 5 to 10 years basted on performance. If it takes ten year to top out though, you'd likely be let go or electrocuted before then.
I've got tons of respect for the guys though. Not a snowballs chance in hell I'd want that job.

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Old 06-24-2013, 02:12 AM   #7

Liked 226 Times on 141 Posts

I am an electricians apprentice. The company I got into this trade with specialized in commercial medical (PET,MRI,CT,and radiation machines and renovation of the rooms they are in) and industrial electric. Worked at some cool places while I was at that company,including a morgue of a medical research institute.

The company I'm at now specializes in roadside pole lights,intersection traffic signals,traffic cameras,various utility services. And pretty much anything someone will cut a check for,but... They keep us VERY busy,which I suppose is a good thing being a young man,we usually get about 50 hours a week,and regularly have 60 hour weeks as well.

Pay for an electrician in my area is lower than most areas of the country due to the local union being run like a mob back in the day which eventually led to it having trouble operating correctly I suppose,anywho we have a weak union and the merit shops around here don't have to compete with union pay so wages aren't as high.

You won't get rich doing it,but you can make a decent living doing it,and a damn good one if your good at it.

Like rurak said,the making of a good electrician tends to favor the thinking man,as there is much more to this trade than meets the eye,careful planning and consideration is absolutely crucial to put a job in right and fast,and when something goes wrong,the troubleshooting and thinking you will have to do sometimes will melt your face if you haven't been doing it a zillion years and have yet to see it all.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:24 AM   #8

Liked 742 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 958

One of my Uncles is an electrician, seems like he has always made good money. But traveled/ worked out of town on commercial jobs alot. So you might want to stay single, or line up somebody you can depend on to service your woman while your gone.........

The Founders DID anticipate that arms technology would advance, that's why the 2nd amendment doesn't say "the right to keep and bear a musket".......

Old 06-24-2013, 02:45 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1726 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 3651

Some require more service than others. Find one that is low maintenance.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:53 AM   #10

Liked 2194 Times on 1292 Posts
Likes Given: 475

Be a nuclear electrician on a submarine. One reenlistment bonus in a tax free zone and you can pay cash for a house. The hours, time away from home, time spent not seeing the sun, written requirements, training, testing, and inspections are ridiculous though. But they often get 6 figure jobs at nuclear plants after the Navy too and the hours aren't bad on the outside.