electric boat motors
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > electric boat motors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2011, 03:08 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default electric boat motors

new to owning a boat. I just got a 10 ft jon boat and am looking for a small motor. does anyone now how long you get on a charge with one of those $150 walmart electric troling motors?

would I be beter off getting an old used 3hp gas motor for the same price?

this boat will be for freshwater bass fishing in lakes and rivers.
opinions please

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-03-2011, 03:15 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6010 Times on 3148 Posts
Likes Given: 431

depends on the battery and ambient temperature. the colder it is the less charge a battery holds. better off with a tiny gas motor less you like to row.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-03-2011, 04:37 AM   #3

I live in south Texas so it's not too cold but I was thinking gas too. just need it pounded into my head I guess...........LOL

if boat motors are anything like weed eaters or chainsaws then electric is a waste of my time fore sure.
what would be appropriate on a 10 ft Jon boat as far as used motors in the $150-$300 range. what should I keep my eyes open for and what should I avoid like the plague. my buddy paid $300 for an old evenrude 3hp on his 14 footer and it kicks butt! on a can of gas we fished all day and it cruised at about 15 mph on the lake.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:07 AM   #4

Liked 69 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter57 View Post
Does anyone now how long you get on a charge with one of those $150 walmart electric troling motors?
That would depend on how long is your extension cord. lol

Old 08-03-2011, 05:09 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Your buddy got a good deal; my nephew looked and looked for a good used small OB motor for his fishing boat. He gets by with a large electric trolling motor on his canoe, for lake fishing in Arkansas. He is young enough not to mind paddling sometimes, though.

I prefer electric & corded for my lawn machinery; the noise of the gas units bothers me, as does the maintenance and cold starting issues.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:19 PM   #6

I use a Minnkota 28lb. thrust on an inflatable pontoon. I have 2 Optima deep cycle batteries, and swap them out during the day.
I have run up to 4 hrs. on low setting and was still going strong (only used low setting). A 10 ft. jonboat might require more power than an 8 ft. pontoon.
A lot of the high mountain lakes do not allow gas motors.

I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
-Ayn Rand

Last edited by Gordo323; 01-22-2012 at 05:35 PM.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:23 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9543 Times on 4105 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

As he said up there ^^^- the key is having a deep cycle battery- not a car battery. They are made to be fully charged and fully discharged.

I have a 14 ft Alumacraft Jon boat. Have TWO 35 lb thrust Minnkota trolling motors ( game comish lakes, no gas motors) and two 115 Amp/hr batteries. Good for several hours at low speed- but if we want to go from one end of lake to other, kick BOTH motors in, and you can just about put Jon boat on plane!

Small gasoline motors are generally a PITA, and will run about $100-$150 a horsepower new.

Electric- faster you run, faster battery gets empty. But you will not find yourself pulling and pulling on starter rope of a 2 cycle engine with a finicky carb, or having to list the motor mechanic as a dependent on your tax return.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:59 AM   #8

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default boat motor .....small craft

There is no better all around motor for a small craft than what is known as a ''mud motor'' .There are a few companies that make them ...''mud buddy'' ,''go -devil '' come to mind .They come in various hp ....they are bulletproof ,air cooled 4 stroke ,direct drive ,some have reverse gear .The beauty is that they will go anywhere ....duck hunters love them ,low water , rocky streams ,stumps ,etc ,mud and vegetation will not stop them ,try that with a troller,or an outboard !