Eat the rabbits

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Eat the rabbits

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2013, 03:08 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 158 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Default Eat the rabbits

I caught a few bunnies munching on my garden, I was already pissed because they dug under the chicken wire and ate my all the beans I had growing. So I went inside and got my air rifle and shot one. Afterwords I grabbed it, bagged it up and put it in the garbage outside. Seems like kind of a waste right? Well I have a question, can I eat them? My dad said I shouldn't because i live in the suburbs and the rabbits eat the chemicals plants have on them??? Whats your opinion on this guys?

Grant me the victory over my foes and those that wish to harm me and mine. Let not my last thought be “ If only I had my gun” ; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home , Let me die in a pile of brass.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-26-2013, 03:14 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5921 Times on 3092 Posts
Likes Given: 416

Eat em. Long as there arent any parasites under the skin or in the guts or in the meat

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-26-2013, 03:18 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 988 Times on 605 Posts
Likes Given: 407

Hey, Beast....

Have always heard any month with an "r" is good to eat...
I am overrun this year and planning on harvesting come Fall....

I need some recipes.....

If It Were Easy, They Would Not Call It Work, And Everyone Would Do It

Old 07-26-2013, 03:23 AM   #4

So they should be safe to eat???

JonM, how do I know if they are healthy? Should I aim for the heart or head? Last one I shot I hit in the heart

Grant me the victory over my foes and those that wish to harm me and mine. Let not my last thought be “ If only I had my gun” ; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home , Let me die in a pile of brass.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:26 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 988 Times on 605 Posts
Likes Given: 407

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986
So they should be safe to eat???

JonM, how do I know if they are healthy? Should I aim for the heart or head? Last one I shot I hit in the heart
We are not in Jury.......

If It Were Easy, They Would Not Call It Work, And Everyone Would Do It

orangello Likes This 
Old 07-26-2013, 03:31 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5921 Times on 3092 Posts
Likes Given: 416

Parasites are very obvious. Looks like tiny crawling worms. People dont tend to eat wild game in the summer. I usually wait till september to shoot the big ones in my yard.

Head shots are best. I use blunts for small game with my longbow when im urban hunting.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-26-2013, 03:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Parasites are very obvious. Looks like tiny crawling worms. People dont tend to eat wild game in the summer. I usually wait till september to shoot the big ones in my yard.

Head shots are best. I use blunts for small game with my longbow when im urban hunting.
Ok thanks, I remember seeing a video and someone said the liver or something should be a certain color????

Old 07-26-2013, 10:10 AM   #8
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6664 Times on 3340 Posts
Likes Given: 7198

do look for the parasites but it should be fine as long as you cook it well. Yummy actually!

Old 07-26-2013, 10:17 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2025 Times on 1391 Posts
Likes Given: 770

The parasites are easy to spot. The rabbit will have a large "boil" on it's belly. In the "boil" there is a large worm that resembles a maggot. In this area we call the parasites "wolves." Wolves will go away once there is a hard frost. In NC we start hunting rabbits in late October.

If the nuisance rabbits have no wolves I would eat them.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 07-26-2013, 10:51 AM   #10

Liked 395 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Head shots are the preferred way to get rabbits for the pot or if you hit 1 in the chest/shoulder area just cut the front half off and use the back half(more meat anyway).

When you skin and gut them that's the time to look at the heart/lung area for any abnormalities such as white spots etc. If in doubt discard the carcass.
Here in Australia some rabbits get a cyst on them around the back legs,belly area and I discard these straight away.

When you split the pelvis have a look after you remove the poop chute around the butt section just under where the tail is and there will be 2 small brown "sacs" either side that you need to remove as these are scent glands and if you don't remove these you'll end up with a gamey taste.
Gut and skin them as soon as you can and put them on ice to cool them down.
When I get them home I wash the carcass out in cold water removing any bits of gut, fur etc and then depending on whether I'm going to use them next day or in the future I then soak them in a mixture of cold water and a couple of handfuls of salt or pour some vinegar in to take the bruising out.

I also cut any parts that has blood under the skin and put salt in this as well.

Leave it overnight to soak and then remove from water and dry off and then either cook or put in freezer for later.

Rabbit goes well in a crock pot with veges simmering away for a few hours or baked in honey or roasted stuffed with seasoning. You can also crumb them in pieces.

The ability to think and speak doesn't necessarily guarantee intelligence

People Like This