You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Eat My Grits

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2016, 01:04 AM   #1
The Balota's
FTF_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11414 Times on 6765 Posts
Likes Given: 17002

Default Eat My Grits

Okay. I'm trying to be a Southerner. So today I bought some grits. I don't know much about them. Teach me to like them. My Mom loved grits and when we traveled In The south she ordered them every breakfast.

How do you cook them and how do you season them. Or what do you mix in them to make them absolutely, irresistibly delicious.
File Type: jpg image.jpg (44.2 KB, 36 views)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-16-2016, 01:30 AM   #2
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2077 Times on 1238 Posts
Likes Given: 2652

Salt, pepper, butter and cheese is how I like grits. Wife prefers butter and sugar.

Stone ground grits are best but take longer to cook.

"Then tell me this: Why would you want to hang around people that get uncomfortable, or even scared, about that kind of thing?" "Maybe to feel normal," I said. He laughed. "Normal's not all it's cracked up to be." "You think?" "Hell, I know." - from Spirits In The Wires, by Charles de Lint.

Old 07-16-2016, 01:30 AM   #3

Liked 1631 Times on 915 Posts
Likes Given: 1882

grits are a southern staple. but I don't like them. never have and just refuse to eat them, regardless of who cooks them.

I reserve to use them to feed the birds with!
winds-of-change Likes This 
Old 07-16-2016, 01:41 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 420 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 1825

Two eggs over easy, sausage or bacon and grits, salt and pepper to taste, with a little butter. Mix thoroughly and use a couple of cat head biscuits to chase em around with. We have that for supper as much as breakfast. Don't get much better than that!!!
Life member NRA
Member Georgia Carry.Org
People Like This 
Old 07-16-2016, 02:29 AM   #5

Liked 3955 Times on 2299 Posts
Likes Given: 999

Some folks like them sweet, some prefer them savory. Butter and sugar if you like them sweet, butter, salt and pepper if you like them savory. Some biscuits and sausage gravy is good pairing along with some fresh (like right out of the hen house fresh) fried eggs sunny side up with the yolk just a little soft.

Old 07-16-2016, 02:33 AM   #6
The Balota's
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 11414 Times on 6765 Posts
Likes Given: 17002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas53 View Post
grits are a southern staple. but I don't like them. never have and just refuse to eat them, regardless of who cooks them.

I reserve to use them to feed the birds with!
So if I don't like them I can feed this to the birds? That's a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy9mm View Post
Two eggs over easy, sausage or bacon and grits, salt and pepper to taste, with a little butter. Mix thoroughly and use a couple of cat head biscuits to chase em around with. We have that for supper as much as breakfast. Don't get much better than that!!!
Cat head biscuits? Am I right in thinking that just means huge biscuits?
People Like This 
Old 07-16-2016, 02:41 AM   #7

Liked 1631 Times on 915 Posts
Likes Given: 1882

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
So if I don't like them I can feed this to the birds? That's a good idea.

Cat head biscuits? Am I right in thinking that jet means huge biscuits?
they are pretty much just ground up corn!
Old 07-16-2016, 02:54 AM   #8
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 14733 Times on 6197 Posts
Likes Given: 2446

Nobody really knows the origin of the name, but yes, they are large biscuits.

http://www.food.com/recipe/cathead-biscuits-257924

Grits on their own are an incredibly bland starch. So is rice- but look what you can do with rice! There are hundreds of recipe for grits- for breakfast or for dinner. I like mine with butter and salt- mixed with a cut up over easy egg is excellent, and/or with some cooked sausage crumbled in. You can do one heck of a dish with shrimp, grits and salsa verde.

There are a couple of varieties of grits- the instant/quick cooking kind, and the traditional about-15-20-minute kind. Read the box of what you bought for starters.
People Like This 
Old 07-16-2016, 03:06 AM   #9

Liked 91 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 11

As a young sailor in 1969... I went into Meridian, Mississippi the first Saturday after getting stationed in VT7. I entered the only restaurant in town, sat at the counter and ordered ham and eggs. I really did not get to say how I wanted my eggs, home fries or anything as the waitress did not seem real friendly. My order come out she flung it on the counter and I said......"excuse me, what is this white stuff" (PS...I am from Pennsylvania) I want hash browns or home fries. Her reply was.........Yankee sailor boy....dem is grits, and when you learn to eat them like a normal person you can come back into MY restaurant!! She took my plate....opened the door and told me to "GET OUT"!! I am 65 years old and been eating grits since about....... the second time I went into the only restaurant in Meridian, Miss. I love grits with poached eggs on top...butter, salt and pepper.

Been around the world 3 times, 2 county fairs and a pig f....(insert non offensive word here ....roast), and I never seen a better deal than that!!!!

Last edited by gator_mike; 07-16-2016 at 03:29 AM.
People Like This 
Old 07-16-2016, 03:13 AM   #10
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2077 Times on 1238 Posts
Likes Given: 2652

A side of sliced, still warm from the garden, perfectly ripened tomato goes great with grits, breakfast, dinner or supper.

"Then tell me this: Why would you want to hang around people that get uncomfortable, or even scared, about that kind of thing?" "Maybe to feel normal," I said. He laughed. "Normal's not all it's cracked up to be." "You think?" "Hell, I know." - from Spirits In The Wires, by Charles de Lint.