Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   EarthQuake in Chile (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/earthquake-chile-23932/)

MB44 02-27-2010 12:58 PM

EarthQuake in Chile

At 03:43 a.m. we got hit by an Earthquake measuring 8,8 on the richterscale.

The bed shook, cupboards fell, plants toppled over, lights were out and total chaos basically just struck.

We live on the 1st floor in a 12 story building which by now was shaking so intensely that we knew it was going to be a big earthquake. I got the kids out of bed, and made sure that my wife and the kids started to descend in order to get out of the building. Next thing I did was to get my firearms and get out myself. On the way down we found our neighbor (A Lady from the U.S. on a short stay in Chile) with her child who is handicapped, so we got her out as well. Down on the street some of my neighbors, and my good friend Bill who lives close by, were gathers on a square as far as possible from any tall buildings. A quick assessment showed that we were all OK except my wife who twisted her ankle going down the stairway as a shock threw her downwards. Here we sat for about two hours waiting for the aftershock to settle down before we headed back to the apartment building to get some essential stuff from our appartment. Then we headed of to the hospital to have her ankle checked and fortunately it was nothing serious, but still, - rather painful. She’s a “strong gal” so she’ll be ok. Now some 6 hours since the initial earthquake we were back at our apartment, where my daughters started to clean our apartment, as I went to the office to check the IT systems…..

This was certainly a wake-up call, but I still wonder how I got the idea to grab my firearm, after I got my family out of the building…… What would YOU have done…???

Surviving a 8,8 earthquake is as bad as it gets, so for the rest of misery life is going to throw my way, I’d say MOLON LABE,…..

Jo da Plumbr 02-27-2010 01:31 PM

Glad your OK. Not everyone did so good Here is a news story on the quake.

Huge quake hits Chile; tsunami threatens Pacific - Yahoo! News

SANTIAGO, Chile – A devastating magnitude-8.8 earthquake struck Chile early Saturday, shattering buildings and bridges, killing at least 78 people and setting off a tsunami that threatened every nation around the Pacific Ocean — roughly a quarter of the globe.

Chilean TV showed devastating images of the most powerful quake to hit the country in a half-century: In the second city of Concepcion trucks plunged into the fractured earth, homes fell, bridges collapsed and buildings were engulfed in flames. Injured people lay in the streets or on stretchers.

Many roads were destroyed and electricity and water were cut to many areas.

There was still no word of death or damage from many outlying areas that were cut off by the quake that struck at 3:34 a.m. (1:34 a.m. EST, 0634 GMT) 200 miles (325 kilometers) southwest of Santiago.

Experts warned that a tsunami could strike anywhere in the Pacific, and Hawaii could face its largest waves since 1964 starting at 11:19 a.m. (4:19 p.m. EST, 2119 GMT), according to Charles McCreery, director of the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center.

Tsunami waves were likely to hit Asian, Australian and New Zealand shores within 24 hours of the earthquake. The U.S. West Coast and Alaska, too, were threatened.

A huge wave swept into a populated area in the Robinson Crusoe Islands, 410 miles (660 kilometers) off the Chilean coast, President Michele Bachelet said, but there were no immediate reports of major damage there.

Bachelet said the death toll was at 78 and rising, but officials had no information on the number of people injured. She declared a "state of catastrophe" in central Chile.

"We have had a huge earthquake, with some aftershocks," Bachelet said from an emergency response center. She urged Chileans not to panic.

"Despite this, the system is functioning. People should remain calm. We're doing everything we can with all the forces we have. Any information we will share immediately," she said.

Powerful aftershocks rattled Chile's coast — 21 of them magnitude 5 or greater and one reaching magnitude 6.9 — the U.S. Geological Survey reported.

Bachelet urged people to avoid traveling, since traffic lights are down, to avoid causing more fatalities.

The airport for Chile's capital of Santiago airport was shut down and will remain closed for at least the next 24 hours, airport director Eduardo del Canto said. The passenger terminal suffered major damage, he told Chilean television in a telephone interview. TV images show smashed windows, partially collapsed ceilings and pedestrian walkways destroyed.

In Concepcion, nurses and residents pushed some of the injured through the streets on stretchers. Others walked around in a daze wrapped in blankets, some carrying infants in their arms.

The epicenter was just 70 miles (115 kilometers) from Concepcion, where more than 200,000 people live along the Bio Bio river, and 60 miles (95 kilometers) from the ski town of Chillan, a gateway to Andean ski resorts that was destroyed in a 1939 earthquake.

Car54 02-27-2010 01:35 PM

You did mighty well in my eyes, you saw to your family's safety and some others at the same time. Next, having weapons would offer protection for you and your family should pockets of lawlessness break out as it did in Haiti. Be safe, and we wish you the best.

MB44 02-27-2010 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr (Post 237626)
Glad your OK. Not everyone did so good Here is a news story on the quake.

Thanks Jo, - The building we live in is apparently famous for its antiseismic architecture as it is made with steel reinforced concrete blocks and is highly flexible. That's makes it shake some more, but nothing brakes. We got electricity ( the beers are still cold..:rolleyes:), water (cold only), gas, so we are almost back to normal. But as you said others where not that fortunate...the next hours will tell how bad it is. For comparison the Haiti earthquake was measured at 7.0, we got hit with 8.8...:eek: