Earthquake
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Earthquake

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2010, 02:33 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Earthquake

Goodness gracious we just had an earthquake in Oklahoma strong enough to scare us to death (4.5), I'm an earthquake survivor (7.5) so it was flashback all over. Back then, we came out running when we finally opened the door which as jammed.

The earthquake I was fortunate to survive killed 20,000 people that night it happened at 3:33 am, and I had just finished reading the Exorcist, so for duration of it I was thinking "Demonic Possession", in any case you'll find yourself too busy to think anything at all, until it's over that is.

Usually happens when the weather changes or it is about to change.

Precautions:

Have a plan to exit the building in case of emergency, consider that doors might be jammed afterward , so be ready for that eventuality.
Leave shoes, water, medicine camping stuff by the door or outside in a stash in case of emergency, believe me, you are gonna find yourself bare naked in the middle of the street breathing heavily, and going back inside is the last thing you are going to want to do at that moment.

Stay away from fallen buildings and electric cables and such.

Don't attempt to drive if there are fallen buildings around.

Make a head count in your household and then proceed to encourage the same around you.

If the phenomenon is wide spread, the emergency services are gonna be pretty much NON-EXISTENT. Be ready for a SHTF situation.

After all is settled people will organize for a neighborhood patrol system. So make sure you know where your sidearm and rifles are as well as ammo. You won't be able to buy some for the time being so a small cache is good to have.

Live long, (if you can) Gatopardo

Visit our website
FOLLOW US ON YOUTUBE

It works, only if you use it!
Look for me in the vendor display

Last edited by gatopardo; 10-13-2010 at 02:48 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-13-2010, 02:45 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatopardo View Post
...you are gonna find yourself bare naked in the middle of the street breathing heavily, and going back inside is the last thing you are going to want to do at that moment.
I survived a 7.4 and 8.1 earthquake and I know what you mean.

The above quoted text may sound funny but it is very true and going inside a building just becomes a traumatic experience for some. I can't imagine going through the same experience in a high rise building (even if it doesn't collapse).

Old 10-13-2010, 02:47 PM   #3
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 699 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 729

Glad you're ok. I've been in Tornadoes, no earthquakes, they sound horrible.

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:47 PM   #4
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1914 Times on 1105 Posts
Likes Given: 3905

Heard that on FOX news this morning. Good that you are okay, they said this is very very rare. Damn!

Arkansas recently had one as well and they are not associating it with the New Madrid Fault either.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:27 PM   #5

Holly trembling Batman, our buildings are not ready for this most houses are like timber boxes covered with brick.

Visit our website
FOLLOW US ON YOUTUBE

Old 10-14-2010, 12:25 AM   #6

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poink88 View Post
I survived a 7.4 and 8.1 earthquake and I know what you mean.

The above quoted text may sound funny but it is very true and going inside a building just becomes a traumatic experience for some. I can't imagine going through the same experience in a high rise building (even if it doesn't collapse).
I have lived in SoCal for much of the last 35 years. I've been through some pretty impressive quakes, including living in Northridge during the 94 Northridge quake.

10 minutes after the NR quake my partner and I were in the car driving around to see what help we could give, and how much damage there was.

And the most obvious thing to us was how many people sleep naked. Ha. There were naked people wandering all over around Cal State NR (CSUN) university. Dozens and dozens of naked people.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 10-14-2010, 01:39 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I've been thru hurricanes, tornadoes, ice storms, blizzards but the closest to an earthquake was a tremmer and it was weird. Glad to hear you are ok and your house is still standing.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 10-14-2010, 01:45 AM   #8

Liked 355 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Glad to hear you are ok in OK there gato....

I've only experienced a quake once in my life (here in 08) which was a 5.2 that literally shook us out of bed. It's a pretty unsettling experience for a first timer like me, knowing there isn't a dang thing you can do about it. Good old mother nature. Sitting on a major fault line doesn't help our odds any for a repeat either.

I guess the silver lining for you though is that the Glow-on stock is well mixed now, eh?

Old 10-14-2010, 02:41 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 721 Times on 446 Posts
Likes Given: 1704

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcountry02 View Post
Heard that on FOX news this morning. Good that you are okay, they said this is very very rare. Damn!

Arkansas recently had one as well and they are not associating it with the New Madrid Fault either.
My Arkansas friend said there's been 63 quakes in central AR since Oct 1, biggest was 4.0.

I felt today's Norman quake in Tulsa, but my cubical neighbors on either side didn't notice it. LOL
I felt the floor vibrating strongly, and didn't even think earthquake. I work in the tallest building in Oklahoma (for the moment) on the 12th floor, and definitely noticed the shaking. But I was trying to connect to a WebEx conference call, so shrugged and ignored it. LOL

Old 10-15-2010, 11:20 PM   #10

Default stash

I already have a stash in a van, food, medicine, camping gear,
etc. something tells me a big one is coming.

I experienced a 7.5 earthquake years ago, we had to sleep outside for a month, no showers, people talked on their sleep constantly, the smallest tremor would spark screams and prayers, really strange.

Something curious is that under normal conditions we people are indifferent to neighbors and such, after a catastrophe of that magnitude, something clicks in people's minds, women all of a sudden gather together to look over each others children, they all want to be together , like there is safety in numbers. Like an primordial survival instinct.

Anyways when everything came to normality, normal behaviors come back, the indifference comes back, really strange.

Visit our website
FOLLOW US ON YOUTUBE