E cigarette / vaporizing
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > E cigarette / vaporizing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2014, 07:22 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 362 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Default E cigarette / vaporizing

I don't smoke, nor do I plan on it. As many of us know the e cigarette market and vapor market (they call it something new every week) is exploding. I decided to just order a startup kit with some 0mg nicotine and a simple vapor. I think it would be relaxing and a fun hobby to get into. I am new to it and there are a lot of terms and things to it so it will be fun to learn. Looking forward to it as I can't always have a cigar!

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-15-2014, 01:40 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2736 Times on 1433 Posts
Likes Given: 231

My wife gave up cigarettes for "vaping" over a year ago. You will upgrade to a nicer set up before long. She has been smoke free since she stated.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-15-2014, 01:47 AM   #3

Liked 63 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I don't believe these have been proven to be good for your health. Nobody really know what your are inhaling. I'm a non-smoker myself and I would not try these just because of the look it presents. I don't care what the advertisements say, these should not be used in a no smoking environment. They "maybe" safer but again what is in them? And it still looks like you are smoking.

Old 03-15-2014, 02:17 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 362 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by wknight40 View Post
I don't believe these have been proven to be good for your health. Nobody really know what your are inhaling. I'm a non-smoker myself and I would not try these just because of the look it presents. I don't care what the advertisements say, these should not be used in a no smoking environment. They "maybe" safer but again what is in them? And it still looks like you are smoking.
The ingredients in the zero nicotine juices are vegetable glycerin.

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...

Old 03-15-2014, 02:32 AM   #5

Liked 158 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 42

My hubby and I both are smokers, I have a few co-workers that "vape". One of them got super sick and the Dr said the moisture was crating bad things in his lungs (worse than smoking ?!?!) so I am still on the fence about it. I will add that I do not smoke in our vehicles, house and when in any area that is public I go way far out of my way not to smoke around other people.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:09 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1228 Times on 791 Posts
Likes Given: 2478

I'm a smoker and taking up smoking was probably the stupidest thing I've done in my life. Cigarettes are extreme addictive, they will eventually kill you, they are expensive, and they're just dirty. The smoke gets a yellowish nicotine film over everything in your house and they make your house smell bad. Not to mention all the ashes everywhere.

My advice is to stay away from cigarettes and everything that even remotely resembles them! Those vapors might not be as bad but I can't imagine them being healthy so why even fool with them? For a smoker trying to quit they might be a temporary aid but other than that just leave them alone.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:23 AM   #7
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1324 Times on 693 Posts
Likes Given: 607

I'm a Non-smoker, never tried it, but have breathed second-hand smoke all my life. I don't appreciate the E-cig manufacturers putting it off as a "safe" habit and getting people to start it just because it appears, at the moment, to not cause cancer or emphysema. We do not need any new habits! However, I do believe it is quite useful for helping people to quit the real cancer sticks. FYI, to a non-smoker, the E-cigs are NOT odorless, but it is not as offensive as smoke and dissipates more quickly, giving it a smaller area-of-effect. It also doesn't seem to permeate clothing and skin, avoiding the telltale odor and grey pall, respectively.

I am hopeful E-cigs will cause more people to quit real cigarettes and also that we will not find out ten years from now that it causes a worse cancer or health problems than the originals. As it stands, they seem to have a net beneficial effect, with their only sin being that some are taking up E-cigs thinking they are 100% safe.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 03-15-2014, 11:43 AM   #8
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6134 Times on 3038 Posts
Likes Given: 6513

Quote:
Originally Posted by wknight40 View Post
No smoking zones, (e cigs arent smoking)? Looks Like (Thats not impeachable)? Proven to be good (And what about twinkies?)?

I gotta cry foul here wknight. Things arent banned today because they arent proven to be good for you otherwise the only thing left legal would be brussel sprouts and green beans! What things look like is nobodies business but theirs. If what things look like was a problem, Fat people would be banned for being a bad representatives. Are we ready to mandate public appearances really????

I do smoke cigarettes, wish I didnt but I do and they are still legal last time I checked. Vapor devices arent illegal yet either. Weve got enough issues that do cause people to die and lose rights because of others, maybe we should try to stick with them.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:24 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1589 Times on 1086 Posts
Likes Given: 553

Academia is saying they know nothing about the chemicals used in making the juice for vaping. From what I understand the chemicals used to make the juice are very common. How can scientists not know if the chemicals are harmful?

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 03-15-2014, 01:12 PM   #10
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6134 Times on 3038 Posts
Likes Given: 6513

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Academia is saying they know nothing about the chemicals used in making the juice for vaping. From what I understand the chemicals used to make the juice are very common. How can scientists not know if the chemicals are harmful?
The manufacturers do know whats in them and likely wouldnt set themselves up for bankruptcy or prison by creating a product that potential will kill you. The funding agents and corporations are big business not little mom and pop Hop Shops. Scientists wont say because of influences they doth not challenge for fear of losing their funding. Like the Global Warming crapicola, you arent getting funded unless your toeing the line on the Party In Powers precepts. If you cut against the grain, nobody is gonna hear a word you have to say.

As posted by Wknight40, the appearance is what matters not the reality. The World Renowned Liberal Arts University I work for is trying to push through a smoke free campus "For Our Own Good". Most of the "Adult" smokers on campus left are very conscientious about our visual presentation and ensure smoke doesnt enter buildings and such, we even hide in our cars and smoke to avoid the leers and comments. A few idiot Students on the other hand will huddle in doorways and make the rest of us look bad. 2 months ago, they took all the outdoor butt receptacles away so now the kids are throwing their butts on the ground. Thats gonna be another ding on us once spring comes and all the butts are everywhere even though were overall not effecting anyone but ourselves with our smoking.

The Irony of it all is hundreds of vehicles travel all day long within a few feet of fresh air intakes for almost 50% of our buildings. Stick your face on the ass-holeo of a Chevy Van or 100 and tell me thats OK! Add to that the air exhaust from our Chemical Waste Bunker is all of 10' from my shop window and the Quad and I think how things look with smokers might not be nearly as bad as how things are air quality wise by design of our campus and a Marlboro or two is the least of my concerns! Academic Hypocrisy at its finest.

Lastly, and I think this could cost me my job if anyone heard me say it. We have a giant wood chip burning boiler that runs 2/3rs of our steam for the campus. It burns a semi trailer or two of wood chips a day, creates hundreds of tons of ash a year and the 80" by 100' stack is belching out some pretty serious toxins within 200' of dormitories and Athletic Facilities. 20+ years ago A Physics Technician buddy of mine actually measured the levels of crap in the ash and exhaust and found highly elevated levels of Radiation and other really nasty carcinogens. He gave his findings to some of the brass and he was told to never speak of this again or he was history. He's not a stupid man and told very few people about it after that warning. He retired after 30+ years as the highest paid "Technician" on the campus.

How things look at least gives you a warning, its what you dont know that will likely kill you!

Last edited by WebleyFosbery38; 03-15-2014 at 01:16 PM.
Airborne1 Likes This