DWI in texas
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > DWI in texas

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2012, 02:16 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default DWI in texas

Since this is the only forum I am a member of I thought I'd ask yall this.

Last night I did something stupid and never do, drove home drunk from the bars after I got some things off my mind (woman related) and was pulled over and arrested for DWI. I blew a .26 and was carted off. I was completely complacent and offered no problems was even thanked for how understanding and courteous i was to the leo's. I have an appointment with a lawyer this weekend to see if anything can be done but wanted to ask around to see if anybody had any experiences of any kind .

I have a completely clean record other than two warnings one speeding one stopping at a stop sign. I was originally was planning on going to OCS and possibly retiring as a game warden but now i think those dreams are forever gone because of one mistake.

Is there any hope for me at all in this giant mess or am I left in this seemingly endless crappy spiral of my mistake.

Thanks for listening and I completely understand if yall just want to chew out for my stupidity.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-27-2012, 02:20 AM   #2

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Make sure the lawyer is a good one.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:54 AM   #3

Liked 43 Times on 27 Posts

You ain't the first one and sure **** u ain't going to be the last one. Stuff happens and I completely understand where u are coming from with woman problems. I think its crazy how another human can gave so much influence over your emotions. When the ol lady pisses me off I go out and shoot the hell outta some sort hills and targets.

Just think of it this way, you can only go up now.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:01 AM   #4

Liked 1957 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Sorry 'bout your luck. I got one back in '91, cost me my car, license for 2 years and 5K in cash (court costs, drunk school etc...).

I don't know if having this on your record will negatively impact your job opportunities or not. It's not a felony so that's good. Get a good lawyer, may cost a little now but in the long run, it'll pay off...

Don't really have any solid advice or insights for you, I just wanted to post to let you know I know how you feel...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 09-27-2012, 03:17 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2731 Times on 1430 Posts
Likes Given: 230

.26? That buys you an enhancement. Depending on the County, you can expect probation for about a year and loss of license for 90 days or so. Prepare to part with 5 grand or so.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 09-29-2012, 01:41 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1227 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 74

You probably should not have blown, but spend your money on a good attorney.

Old 09-29-2012, 02:10 AM   #7

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

First suggestion, dont post any details to an online forum, anything posted could be used against you.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 09-29-2012, 03:48 AM   #8

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default dwi

silence ......... one shouldn't blow or submit to any type of testing ,be compliant offer no resistance during your arrest . call a great lawyer. Texas is becoming a police state and officers can and do pull people over just because of the law of averages 1 out of every 6 vehicles nationwide has a driver or passenger u i of alcohol /drugs after 10 pm .....1 out of 3 after 2 am .

Old 09-29-2012, 03:52 AM   #9

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreck1819 View Post
Since this is the only forum I am a member of I thought I'd ask yall this.

Last night I did something stupid and never do, drove home drunk from the bars after I got some things off my mind (woman related) and was pulled over and arrested for DWI. I blew a .26 and was carted off. I was completely complacent and offered no problems was even thanked for how understanding and courteous i was to the leo's. I have an appointment with a lawyer this weekend to see if anything can be done but wanted to ask around to see if anybody had any experiences of any kind .

I have a completely clean record other than two warnings one speeding one stopping at a stop sign. I was originally was planning on going to OCS and possibly retiring as a game warden but now i think those dreams are forever gone because of one mistake.

Is there any hope for me at all in this giant mess or am I left in this seemingly endless crappy spiral of my mistake.

Thanks for listening and I completely understand if yall just want to chew out for my stupidity.
All hope is not lost. My brother was picked up for drunk driving just before he joined the Corps. Passed the field sobriety test, but refused to blow. Here if you refuse to blow they automatically take your license, without due process, for twenty four months. Because he refused to blow and passed the sobriety test the LEO did not have cause to arrest him and compel a test at the station. Meaning in court the judge agreed that the arrest needed to be stricken along with the compelled test at the station because under the law all he could do was take his license and wait for someone to pick him up.

But wait there was more.

Because of what was said in Thompson v. Smith and others, they had to restore his license.

"The right of the citizen to travel upon the public highways and to transport his property thereon, either by carriage or by automobile, is not a mere privilege which a city may prohibit or permit at will, but a common law right which he has under the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

So, as it is a right, not a privilege as many believe, it can not be revoked without due process of the law.

Know your laws and employ an attorney that is even more well versed than you.

ETA: I believe the only reason they gave it back was because at the time there was a big right to travel movement here. If they would have denied him it would have gone higher, and as we can imagine that could be very bad for many aspects of the "privilege" to travel.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Last edited by Eturnsdale; 09-29-2012 at 03:59 AM.

Old 09-29-2012, 04:24 AM   #10

Liked 1957 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Quote:
Originally Posted by powg View Post
silence ......... one shouldn't blow or submit to any type of testing ,be compliant offer no resistance during your arrest . call a great lawyer. Texas is becoming a police state and officers can and do pull people over just because of the law of averages 1 out of every 6 vehicles nationwide has a driver or passenger u i of alcohol /drugs after 10 pm .....1 out of 3 after 2 am .
Nothin' good ever happens after midnight......except for FTF!!

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Closed Thread