Dumb moments in fire arms usage.

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Dumb moments in fire arms usage.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2009, 12:00 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Dumb moments in fire arms usage.

Being that I'm still relatively new to most fire arms I was wondering what are some of the craziest things you've seen (in person).

I'll start this off.

Back in Basic training during M16 A2 qualification we were in waist deep foxholes getting ready to fire at targets down range. Right after they told us to load a (15 rounds i think) magazine the NCO behind me started yelling so I quickly put the M16 into the cradle and looked to see what was going on. To my surprise the guy to the right of my had somehow jammed his magazine in backwards. Boy was the Armorer pissed. lol I didn't think it could be done because there is a smaller protrusion on the back of the magazine (dummy proof).

Who's next? I can't wait to hear some of the other mishaps.

Who says you can't get blood from a stone?
It all depends on how hard you hit them with it.

~me~

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-04-2009, 12:31 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9570 Times on 4118 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

Prior to the M-203, the standard 40mm grenade launcher was the M-79. If you have never seen one, visualize a single shot top break shotgun on steroids. The High Explosive round has a 5 meter kill radius (be within 5 meters of one going BANG on impact, and you no longer have troubles)

One of my darlings on the training range fired an HE round STRAIGHT UP. Longest 5 seconds of my life. Round impacted about 30 meters forward of the firing line.

Drill Instructor impacted about 40 milimeters into his butt!

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:31 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

This happened about 30 years ago, in northern New Mexico. I was
watching a guy doing fast draws, shooting at a target about 10 yards
away. A few of the shots came up short, like half way between him
and the target. I walked down with him to the target and about
halfway the was a very dead rattlesnake, freshly killed, with a .44
size hole in him. We both got a good laugh out of that.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Prior to the M-203, the standard 40mm grenade launcher was the M-79. If you have never seen one, visualize a single shot top break shotgun on steroids. The High Explosive round has a 5 meter kill radius (be within 5 meters of one going BANG on impact, and you no longer have troubles)

One of my darlings on the training range fired an HE round STRAIGHT UP. Longest 5 seconds of my life. Round impacted about 30 meters forward of the firing line.

Drill Instructor impacted about 40 milimeters into his butt!
I would have swatted him upside the head. Glad to hear no one got hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carne Frio View Post
This happened about 30 years ago, in northern New Mexico. I was
watching a guy doing fast draws, shooting at a target about 10 yards
away. A few of the shots came up short, like half way between him
and the target. I walked down with him to the target and about
halfway the was a very dead rattlesnake, freshly killed, with a .44
size hole in him. We both got a good laugh out of that.
It's lucky he shot the snake before going out there. That could have been a big problem.

Who says you can't get blood from a stone?
It all depends on how hard you hit them with it.

~me~

Old 09-04-2009, 03:38 AM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I know a guy who was drunk and practicing his quickdraw down at the river one weekend. He was using a black powder .44 and managed to shoot himself in the colon when he drew. He almost died and the police tried to charge him with attempted murder on himself....seriously.

Old 09-04-2009, 03:43 AM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

In basic training the guy in the bunker next to me had his kevlar marked up for weak, sidearm, and looker. So, basically, he liked to chuck grenades side-armed, not throw them very fay, and stand and look at his handy work......

Well, during live grenades he managed to hit the side of the bunker and the live grenade fell at him and the drill's feet. The drill picked him up and threw him over the bunker and came down on top of him while the grenade exploded on the other side of the wall from them. what happened next was just completely uncivilized.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:01 AM   #7

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

In basic training, 1976, we were out on the range for weapons training. As a squad leader, and platoon leader, I (along with all the other squad leaders) were the ones doing the demonstrating after the "lessons." Time comes for the M-60 training. We were given the spiel about loading, firing and unloading. Then, in a very demanding voice, the range sergeant told us that if there was a misfire or jam, step away from the weapon and do NOT open the breech because the round could 'cook off' and cause some personnel damage. Well, needless to say, after we ran a few hundred rounds downrange, the fool in the next foxhole had a jam and immediately opened the breech and was staring down into the receiver. The range sergeant saw this, ran over yelling obscenities at the top of his lungs, grabbed this kid (he was 18) and physically tossed him out of the foxhole and kicked the breech shut. The kid was in a different platoon so I don't know what his Drill Sergeant did to him for his stupidity. None of my people pulled any stupid stunts like this but one did faint away during live grenade throws. He ran out with 2 grenades in their shipping containers and handed them to the range sergeant. The sergeant tossed one container on the ground and proceeded to open the other one. What he didn't see until he turned around to hand the grenade to the kid was that when the grenade in the container hit the ground, so did the kid. Guess the kid thought the grenade was going to go off just by hitting the ground in its shipping container...and he fainted dead away.

Last edited by AcidFlashGordon; 09-04-2009 at 05:04 AM.

Old 09-05-2009, 12:31 AM   #8

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

We had 2 brand new less that 100 hours AH-64D Longbow apachies land on the back in of a bradly live fire range. Yeah not a band landing but all hell broke lose when they got all shot to hell with 25mm Depleated Urainum rounds.

I KOed a PV2 for pointing his weapon at me in the chow line I drew down on me and I promptly responded with a buttstroke to the head movement. I broke the buffer tube of my M-16 he had a bruise on his cheek for a week and 14 days of restriction and 14 days of extra duty. I got told that I shouldn't have hit him that hard.

To tell you the truth I didn't like the kids no way. He tried to sue me for it as well. Went to JAG and they told him that he was nuts and lucky he didn't get shot for what he did.