Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Dry fire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2012, 05:59 PM   #11
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1490 Times on 913 Posts
Likes Given: 7349

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I have a PG100 that I do have snap caps for. But I don't understand how snap caps work in a semi-auto. Do you fill the magazine with the snap caps and then they fly out and you fill the magazine again?

I do believe my Mark II has a transfer bar that engages the firing pin. But I don't really understand those mechanics you listed. I am going to have to see the actions of each of those methods you described. Anyone have a good link that will show me the difference?

Forgive my basic and uneducated questions. I've still got a lot to learn.
A tranfere bar is a flat metal bar that is attached to the trigger assembly that rises up to the strike surface of the firing pin when you pull and hold back on the trigger. When the hammer falls, as the trigger breaks, the hammer strikes this bar. It in turn strikes the firing pin, which fires the cartridge. When decocking a revoler for instance, after the break point ( trigger releases the hammer)you are instructed to take you finger off the trigger. This allows the transfer bar to fall away from the firing pin. Without the transfer bar, the hammer will hit the frame of the revolver, not the firing pin. It is a saftey device (not to be entirely relied on! Keep the gun pointed in a safe direction during the whole process.) that allows the shooter to carry the weapon at full capacity, (6 rounds) without as much risk of an AD should it be dropped.

Don't worry about the questions Winds. We are all here to learn, and to help when we can. I learned 2 things from this thread already. How a snap cap works, and an easier way to use them in a semi-auto. Thanks for posting those replies guys!

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 01-30-2012, 06:14 PM   #12
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1490 Times on 913 Posts
Likes Given: 7349

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1158 View Post
I dont have a owners manual for any of my guns. I think I got ya though. My 357 has a plate that slides up between the hammer and the pin when its cocked. So it would be ok? What about rifles like my 870?

What's a snap cap?
You got it right Josh, that's the transfer bar. Contact the companys that manufactuer the guns, and request a manual. If you ask, they will send you one. Most companys have them available for down load at their website. check there first.

http://gjkm.com This is the wesite for JEM enterprises. One of the products they offer is Do Everything Manuals for many different types of firearms. If the manufacturer is no longer in business, or you are looking to get more detailed information on take down and reassembly, as well as some general information on the guns you have, Check them out. they may have what you are looking for. Good luck.

Oh yeah, I would buy the snap caps just to be on the safe side, JMO.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 01-30-2012, 08:46 PM   #13

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post
If the hammer directly hits the firing pin, the usual consensus is no.

If it uses a transfer bar to engage the firing pin, generaly the answer is yes.

Check your owner's manual, or buy snap caps if you are worried about dry firing your gun.

hope this helps.

WOC. I'm not familiar with that pistol. The manuals for my mini 14, 10/22, and GP100 all say yes, check the one for your mark II. If you can't find it, it is available at Ruger's website.
Winds of Change was actually a little ambiguous about which Mk II he has. The Savage Mk II is a .22LR bolt action rifle and the Ruger MkII is a .22LR pistol. Since he didn't correct us, I'm assuming he has the Ruger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I have a PG100 that I do have snap caps for. But I don't understand how snap caps work in a semi-auto. Do you fill the magazine with the snap caps and then they fly out and you fill the magazine again?

I do believe my Mark II has a transfer bar that engages the firing pin. But I don't really understand those mechanics you listed. I am going to have to see the actions of each of those methods you described. Anyone have a good link that will show me the difference?

Forgive my basic and uneducated questions. I've still got a lot to learn.
What kfox describes is advertised and pictured here: http://www.digitaleditiononline.com/publication/?i=56797 on page 4-5. It's generally a safety feature.

Reference your manual for instruction on whether or not dry fire is safe. Most rimfire guns are not safe to dry fire as the firing pin will usually strike the hard steel of the chamber instead of the much softer brass casing.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Last edited by tCan; 01-30-2012 at 08:49 PM.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:16 AM   #14
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6750 Times on 4078 Posts
Likes Given: 8053

Quote:
Originally Posted by tCan View Post
Winds of Change was actually a little ambiguous about which Mk II he has. The Savage Mk II is a .22LR bolt action rifle and the Ruger MkII is a .22LR pistol. Since he didn't correct us, I'm assuming he has the Ruger.
Sorry. Yes, it is a Ruger Mark II pistol.