Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Dry fire (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/dry-fire-56622/)

Josh1158 01-30-2012 09:01 AM

Dry fire

Is it bad to dry fire your gun? I've heard some say yes and some say no.

winds-of-change 01-30-2012 09:23 AM

I go back and forth on this, too. I think it depends on the gun. I've been told dry firing a rimfire is bad but then I've been told it's perfectly okay to dry fire my Mark II. I don't think I know enough about the insides of a gun to reason this out. I'm eagerly awaiting posts on this thread from some knowledgeable people.

Here's my thread I started a while ago....

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/dry-fire-not-question-49232/

kfox75 01-30-2012 09:33 AM

If the hammer directly hits the firing pin, the usual consensus is no.

If it uses a transfer bar to engage the firing pin, generaly the answer is yes.

Check your owner's manual, or buy snap caps if you are worried about dry firing your gun.

hope this helps.

WOC. I'm not familiar with that pistol. The manuals for my mini 14, 10/22, and GP100 all say yes, check the one for your mark II. If you can't find it, it is available at Ruger's website.

paintsplat 01-30-2012 09:48 AM

even if it says yes you would be safer putting snap caps in, then at least you would know it's not live ammo

winds-of-change 01-30-2012 09:51 AM

I have a PG100 that I do have snap caps for. But I don't understand how snap caps work in a semi-auto. Do you fill the magazine with the snap caps and then they fly out and you fill the magazine again?

I do believe my Mark II has a transfer bar that engages the firing pin. But I don't really understand those mechanics you listed. I am going to have to see the actions of each of those methods you described. Anyone have a good link that will show me the difference?

Forgive my basic and uneducated questions. I've still got a lot to learn.

Belltactical 01-30-2012 02:45 PM

Well, the snap cap was designed to allow for dry fire so the firing pin would hit something other that the inside of the firing pin chamber. In a semi-auto, you'll benefit from 2 things. First, the firing pin will hit the cap so no potential damage to the pin or the hole through which it passes and second, a basic extractor/ejector function test. You'll have to cycle e weapon manually of course, but it will "prove" the entire loading and extraction/ejection system is working correctly. Having said that, I've seen snap caps work just fine when the slide or charging handle or bolt is retracted to pull the round and then find a problem with live ammo when things are boing bang and moving really fast in the weapon. Hope this helps.

Chandler51 01-30-2012 03:25 PM

You don't have to eject the cap in an auto every time. The pin will reset if you pull the slide back .5 inch or so, and you're ready to "snap" again. Just be sure after you reset the pin, the slide goes back into battery.

Or, as stated previously, load the mag and practice clearing failures.

Josh1158 01-30-2012 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kfox75
If the hammer directly hits the firing pin, the usual consensus is no.

If it uses a transfer bar to engage the firing pin, generaly the answer is yes.

Check your owner's manual, or buy snap caps if you are worried about dry firing your gun.

hope this helps.

WOC. I'm not familiar with that pistol. The manuals for my mini 14, 10/22, and GP100 all say yes, check the one for your mark II. If you can't find it, it is available at Ruger's website.

I dont have a owners manual for any of my guns. I think I got ya though. My 357 has a plate that slides up between the hammer and the pin when its cocked. So it would be ok? What about rifles like my 870?

What's a snap cap?

TimKS 01-30-2012 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh1158 (Post 694025)
What's a snap cap?

...it's dummy round of ammo....usually made of plastic or similar material.

Josh1158 01-30-2012 05:17 PM

Ohh I didn't know thoes were snap caps. I always thought were dummy rounds.