Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Driving!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2012, 05:59 PM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Does the Fed retain the right to regulate commerce? According to Article 1, Section 8, Clause 3 does the Fed not have the right to Regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes?

They have chosen to pass powers onto the state to regulate commerce by requiring commercial licences.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

dango Likes This 
Old 10-24-2012, 06:00 PM   #72
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7731 Times on 4464 Posts
Likes Given: 9975

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
That, Eturnsdale, is the biggest load of bureaucratic BS you have posted in yet. WTF? Do we really need to parse it that finely? That reminds me of how the politicians have defined firearms for Pete's sake! Are you sure you aren't Bob-The-Fed?
Just so happens that I am loading for the Farmer's Market this afternoon. Should I stop by the DMV and get a commercial license or should I be OK? Screw it, they can go to Hell.

Seriously, if you are driving commercially you are already paying more towards the roads because you are paying the fuel taxes (you drive more so you burn more fuel) and higher registration fees for your commercial vehicles.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:06 PM   #73

According to the DMV you don't need a CDL if you are operating a vehicle with a GVWR under 26,000 pounds. So, if you are partaking in commerce but operate a vehicle under that weight your typical Class C is sufficient.

There are many people that partake in commerce with vehicles under that weight, myself included.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

dango Likes This 
Old 10-24-2012, 06:30 PM   #74
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturnsdale View Post
State v. Johnson, 245 P 1073 For while a citizen has the right to travel upon the public highways and to transport his property thereon, that right does not extend to the use of the highways...as a place for private gain. For the latter purpose, no person has a vested right to use the highways of this state, but it is a privilege...which the (state) may grant or withhold at its discretion.

The majority decision in that case set the prescience that supports what I said about commerce.
That is an interesting case; when i goggled it, most all of the links that were found were from discussions of "driving as a right, not a priviledge". Now, i am not saying that the case is without merit or doesn't apply for some reason or other, but i would like to point out that the tax protest people cite cases and sound pretty reasonable as well. Wesley Snipes (amongst MANY others) has learned that a reasonable basis in law isn't always enough to guarantee the legality of our actions.

That said, it seems that we have come to a difference of opinion in this thread between various posters; i will just agree to disagree.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

dango Likes This 
Old 10-24-2012, 06:34 PM   #75

So commerce begins at 26,000 lbs? That is insane. The problem is that the laws and regulations are so freaking complex and convaluted that it is nearly impossible to keep track of them, let alone the differences between the states.

What does this have to do with keeping unsafe drivers off the road, in particular elderly drivers with diminishing abilities?

Old 10-24-2012, 06:45 PM   #76
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
So commerce begins at 26,000 lbs? That is insane. The problem is that the laws and regulations are so freaking complex and convaluted that it is nearly impossible to keep track of them, let alone the differences between the states.

What does this have to do with keeping unsafe drivers off the road, in particular elderly drivers with diminishing abilities?
Perhaps you misunderstand the government's plan to confuse our elders out of driving?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

People Like This 
Old 10-24-2012, 07:36 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Perhaps you misunderstand the government's plan to confuse our elders out of driving?
Elderly Hell! I'm middle-aged and I'm confused!

Their methods are backfiring though, because when I get too confused I'll just say screw 'em and do whatever I want without bothering to try and decipher their bureaucratic BS. Don't get me wrong, I don't go out and flout the laws, I'll live more by the moral creed of the Golden Rule.

Last edited by Vikingdad; 10-24-2012 at 07:40 PM.
People Like This 
Old 10-25-2012, 06:36 AM   #78

Quote:

Are you even trying to follow?

The need for a CDL begins at 26,000 pounds. By the constitution and the constitutional laws there after, if you are driving for commerce you do need to abide by licensing laws. If you are operating a vehicle for commerce under that weight then your Class C is acceptable.

dango Likes This 
Old 03-18-2013, 12:27 PM   #79

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

When i wasnin school we actually were required to take drivers ed before we could get a licence. One of the things that really stuck with me was a car is a heavy torpedo at any speed and when it hits something it will blow up and kill someone. That statement really impressed me. Also had fo watch some wreck vidios. Scary stuff.

Im 55 and dont feel any one of any age should be messing with anything except the steering wheel when they are driving. The steering in the new cars today seems to be a whole lot more sensetive than the cars i grew up with. It doesnt take much to make them wander a bit.

Put on some headphones and talk if you need to know what is hoing on with the world. Keep your attention on the road. Kill one of my kids being stupid with your car and ill become the nightmare that dosnt go away.

I also agree that after a certain age fms should be tested to make sure they can drive safely. The state allowed my moher to drive. At 76 i took away her keys. Better she have her feelings hurt than have someones family killed. If the dmv would have given her a driving test she would have been off the road a lot sooner.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:52 PM   #80
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2835 Times on 1642 Posts
Likes Given: 16904

Beyondthebox..? An ironic twist of screen name vs perspective..? "The sins of the one".! This is the same attitude towards firearms.! I politely disagree !

Age is not a given and some do gracefully grow with time , but not as to stereo-type , OLD with incapability..! Some people should not be driving , agreed , but I see no defining age limit , just an "all out rude attitude"..!

Lack of common scenes and this is not symptomatic of age..! This affliction is not prone to age , but more of ignorance..! Share the misery and make all meet the same standards..!