Driving!!! - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Driving!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 03:15 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

That I agree with Trip. But you can't take something back when 90% of the population believes the opposite. So instead you have to show them that the gov is wrong in what they have taught you. It is an ongoing battle that is being fought.

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Old 10-22-2012, 03:20 PM   #22
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 8947 Times on 5350 Posts
Likes Given: 11964

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri70 View Post
I worry more about young drivers 16-25 than I do old drivers, txt, music, hot rodding, they suck too!
Exactly. That's why their insurance is so much higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturnsdale View Post
WOC, driving rights not privileges.

He does seem to be one that should have had them removed. But like all things government,,,,,
Gotcha. At least my Father just wanted his license because he wanted the dignity of having it. Thank GOD he knew he should no longer be driving. Though I don't have any problem nicely scolding my Dad when I think he's behaving badly. Fortunately, he doesn't argue back. He does argue with my brother, though, because my brother doesn't know how to say things.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:34 PM   #23

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

I would rather be on the road with older people who are concentrating on driving and not the phone.

As for driving being a RIGHT that is the biggest load of horse muck I have ever read. Your drivers lic is a privilege that you have to test for you then have to follow all the laws and rules or it gets taken away.

Show me proof that driving is a right. Last time I look at the constitution, it didn't say Every man and women shall be issued a right to drive.

I say if you have more than 1 moving violations between renewing your DL you could have to take the written and driving test over no matter what age you are. If you get a DUI you should never be allowed behind the wheel of a vehicle every again.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:47 PM   #24

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

I just gave proof.

Keeping and bearing arms is a right that is in the Constitution, and you have to get a permit for that.

See what I mean? People have been told that something is a privilege for so long that they actually believe it.

Traveling is a right that is so fundamental to your life that they saw no need to include it in the BOR. It was known by everyone to be essential to your ability to enjoy the other rights codified in the BOR.

"The right to travel is a well-established common right that does not owe its existence to the federal government. It is recognized by the courts as a natural right." Schactman v. Dulles 96 App DC 287, 225 F2d 938, at 941.

That case expands the definition of travel to include more than just travel within the United States.

"The right to travel is a part of the liberty of which the citizen cannot be deprived without due process of law under the Fifth Amendment." Kent v. Dulles, 357 US 116, 125.

Hertado v. California, 110 US 516

Bennett v. Boggs, 1 Baldw 60,

Need I go on?

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Last edited by Eturnsdale; 10-22-2012 at 03:54 PM.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:55 PM   #25

Liked 295 Times on 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
Being WELL beyond 60, I feel compelled to respond to your post-

I agree with you. It is my personal feeling that anyone texting while driving should be forced to the curb, removed from the vehicle, and flailed with the Blue Tooth device they are enamored with so greatly. Regardless of age.

As folks age, vision (ESPECIALLY low light level vision) and hearing will decline. The rate will vary. My vision is still 20-20, but that does not apply to everyone- and it comes on gradually. Periodic retesting would help identify those that are no longer safe to drive.

HOWEVER- I see a lot more YOUNGER drivers that are horribly unsafe than I do older drivers. How about if we raise the age to get a driver's license?

To about 35.
Oh I like that as well, though I think 28 sufficient. I'm now 32 and have taken driving responsibly since about 26-27. I feel late twenties a good mark, but I'd be okay with 35. Truly I would.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:29 PM   #26
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6579 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Being WELL beyond 60, I feel compelled to respond to your post-

I agree with you. It is my personal feeling that anyone texting while driving should be forced to the curb, removed from the vehicle, and flailed with the Blue Tooth device they are enamored with so greatly. Regardless of age.

As folks age, vision (ESPECIALLY low light level vision) and hearing will decline. The rate will vary. My vision is still 20-20, but that does not apply to everyone- and it comes on gradually. Periodic retesting would help identify those that are no longer safe to drive.

HOWEVER- I see a lot more YOUNGER drivers that are horribly unsafe than I do older drivers. How about if we raise the age to get a driver's license?

To about 35.
I admit that a lot of younger drivers are dangerous on the road. Believe me, I have almost t-boned a ton of the dumb asses when they pulled out in front of me. (Kind of makes you want to drive a snow plow and see if they want to pull out in front of that. )
Luckily, not all of us are stupid like that.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:34 PM   #27
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6579 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
Oh I like that as well, though I think 28 sufficient. I'm now 32 and have taken driving responsibly since about 26-27. I feel late twenties a good mark, but I'd be okay with 35. Truly I would.
I do NOT agree that the age should be changed though. If it is, 18 would be sufficient. The main reason for that is that it would be extremely difficult for people to start their lives without being able to drive. They need it to get to work, school, ect.
Unless, of course all the parents wouldn't mind driving their sons/daughters to school and work every day, and then picking them up. So that would mean that they would have to adjust their schedule to ours for 28 years. That sounds fun doesn't it?

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 10-22-2012 at 07:49 PM.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:39 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I plan on driving faster and faster as i age and have less time left to lose.

OP Seriously though, Put a dash cam or use your cell phone or whatever to record you father's driving for him to watch at home afterwards. Point out the really unsafe things he did and mention the lagging blinker and such. Ask him if he would want his kids, grandkids, etc. riding with somebody who drives like that. IME, it is SHOCKING what our driving looks like on screen.

As to it being a right to drive on public roads, i disagree. We can obtain a permit to use these public facilities at the discretion of the relevant government. Of course, there is nobody saying you can't walk along the side of those road for free. Things that belong to the government don't belong to us anymore; they have become the property of that trustee.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:46 PM   #29
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3543 Times on 2030 Posts
Likes Given: 1559

AARP (an anti firearm organization) offers driving courses for those age 55 and older.

Too bad you have to be at least 55 to attend. I know of many 20 and 30 year olds who need refresher courses.
Hopefully they will make it to 55.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 10-22-2012, 09:27 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
I know of many 20 and 30 year olds who need refresher courses.
Hopefully they will make it to 55.
Them making it to 55 reduces the number of parking spaces for the rest of us.