Driving!!! - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Driving!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 02:05 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 692 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 410

Beyond has a good point…about his Dad. To turn a specific situation into a general law is where we usually get it wrong. Witness Sarah Brady and handguns. It could be said that everyone should be mandated to pass the physical and written tests upon renewal of DL…but imagine the load that would throw on the DMV, which can barely manage to rubber stamp the paper trail it already has to handle.

Mandating eye tests for everyone renewing their DL is not a bad idea. Changing the driving habits for any specific person is probably not gong to happen. Should some (of any age) be taken off the road? No doubt. It should be on a case-by-case basis.

Eturnsdale is right. Many, if not most seniors are better drivers than the ADD, texting, cell-phone junkie 18-year old with two screaming kids in the back seat.

Maybe c3 has a point. Raise the driving age. Or raise the age of having children!

(disclaimer) I am a senior citizen. My opinion may be influenced by my age.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:16 PM   #12

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

WOC, driving rights not privileges.

He does seem to be one that should have had them removed. But like all things government,,,,,

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

winds-of-change Likes This 
Old 10-22-2012, 02:19 PM   #13

Liked 164 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 260

An age limit for retesting I can see, but denial of license should be on a case by case basis.

We had to take my dad's license several years before he passed away, it was the hardest thing to do to him as he felt betrayed by his family. He never drove good to start with, but his mental health was on a rapid decline, he would forget where he was and how to get home. He didn't give me any grief about taking his license at first but after a year or so I gave him an old expired one to keep in his wallet and that seemed to keep him happy even thou he didn't have a car anymore.

Now I feel that several teens and young adults should have to be tested over again also, I was hit going down a straight part of the highway last year running 70+ by a teen texting, he tried to tell the cop that he fell asleep at 3:30 in the afternoon. The cop asked for his cell phone and checked the text messages and times and started writing a ticket.

Don't question my right to own a gun and I won't question your stupidity not to.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:26 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1817 Times on 994 Posts
Likes Given: 2

When my Grandpa was 75 he was nervous about driving so he decided not to do it anymore. I know that my night vision sucks so if it's raining or snowing at night I am extra careful when driving. When I'm older, I probably won't drive at night.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:27 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 692 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 410

I apologize for the double post. Something came up here at the house that required my immediate attention.
I also forgot to make clear that I was being facetious by suggesting the driving age should be raised or that childbirth be delayed by law. The point I was trying to make was that specific problems shouldn't be addressed by enacting more laws that impact on those of us who are not guilty of the infractions or offenses.

To address the eye-test statement, at 73 years of age I renewed my drivers' license over the internet here in Mississippi. However, I do understand that next time, in 2014, I will have to appear at the DMV for an eye test.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:28 PM   #16

Interesting. Id never heard of that before.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Old 10-22-2012, 03:02 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
At and beyond year 60 (or, conservatively, retirement age), every citizen ought to be legally mandated to pass the written and physical driving tests, all over again, every time they renew their tags. And the test should be given by a recent grad, not some sympathetic and understanding "veteran".

My father, a Vietnam vet and, in general, okay man, is a terrible driver 82% of the time. That's being generous. He text messages, answers phone calls (hearing significantly impaired), and, even worse, thinks about other things when driving. He's ten times more dangerous than anyone has ever been while driving drunk, and I know, I've done it SIGNIFICANTLY!

Swaying, swerving, missing stop signs, forgetting blinkers, leaving blinkers on for miles, switching lanes in middle of intersection, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, you get the point, I'd hope.

It's part pig-headedness, part self-entitlement (this country's true and only origin) and part self-inflicted ignorance (from age and self-entitlement).

We all get/have it. It starts at different points in our lives, but 60 is as a good and safe a mark as any to begin to combat it.
I strongly disagree with you. I don't think there should be any age restrictions placed at all. I think everyone from the time they first start driving until the state takes the privilege away should have to pass written, practical, and eye exams every 4 years at a minimum!

I also firmly believe that every state should have annual automobile inspections in order to remove unsafe vehicles from the road.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:09 PM   #18

Define unsafe.

And traveling by automobile is not a privilege. Get that out of your head right now.

"The right of the citizen to travel upon the public highways and to transport his property thereon, either by carriage or by automobile, is not a mere privilege which a city may prohibit or permit at will, but a common law right which he has under the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness." Thompson v. Smith, 154 SE 579.

"The use of the highway for the purpose of travel and transportation is not a mere privilege, but a common fundamental right of which the public and individuals cannot rightfully be deprived." Chicago Motor Coach v. Chicago, 169 NE 221.

We can go on with other cases that have set precedence if you like.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:09 PM   #19

Define unsafe.

And traveling by automobile is not a privilege. Get that out of your head right now.

"The right of the citizen to travel upon the public highways and to transport his property thereon, either by carriage or by automobile, is not a mere privilege which a city may prohibit or permit at will, but a common law right which he has under the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness." Thompson v. Smith, 154 SE 579.

"The use of the highway for the purpose of travel and transportation is not a mere privilege, but a common fundamental right of which the public and individuals cannot rightfully be deprived." Chicago Motor Coach v. Chicago, 169 NE 221.

We can go on with other cases that have set precedence if you like.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:14 PM   #20

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Use all the cases you want. Until the people take their rights, it's not a right. Just because someone says it is, doesn't mean squat.

What happens when a sports team doesn't show up to a game? The same thing that happens when the people don't take possession of their rights. FORFEIT.

If you allow it to be taken, then you don't have it. Our people as a whole have allowed it to be taken.