Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Driving!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 06:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 257 Times on 227 Posts

Default Driving!!!

At and beyond year 60 (or, conservatively, retirement age), every citizen ought to be legally mandated to pass the written and physical driving tests, all over again, every time they renew their tags. And the test should be given by a recent grad, not some sympathetic and understanding "veteran".

My father, a Vietnam vet and, in general, okay man, is a terrible driver 82% of the time. That's being generous. He text messages, answers phone calls (hearing significantly impaired), and, even worse, thinks about other things when driving. He's ten times more dangerous than anyone has ever been while driving drunk, and I know, I've done it SIGNIFICANTLY!

Swaying, swerving, missing stop signs, forgetting blinkers, leaving blinkers on for miles, switching lanes in middle of intersection, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, you get the point, I'd hope.

It's part pig-headedness, part self-entitlement (this country's true and only origin) and part self-inflicted ignorance (from age and self-entitlement).

We all get/have it. It starts at different points in our lives, but 60 is as a good and safe a mark as any to begin to combat it.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-22-2012, 11:24 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 756 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

A good idea if ONLY they'd make women stop texting while driving ...worse yet, stop talking!

Old 10-22-2012, 12:32 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7615 Times on 3315 Posts
Likes Given: 1130

Being WELL beyond 60, I feel compelled to respond to your post-

I agree with you. It is my personal feeling that anyone texting while driving should be forced to the curb, removed from the vehicle, and flailed with the Blue Tooth device they are enamored with so greatly. Regardless of age.

As folks age, vision (ESPECIALLY low light level vision) and hearing will decline. The rate will vary. My vision is still 20-20, but that does not apply to everyone- and it comes on gradually. Periodic retesting would help identify those that are no longer safe to drive.

HOWEVER- I see a lot more YOUNGER drivers that are horribly unsafe than I do older drivers. How about if we raise the age to get a driver's license?

To about 35.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 10-22-2012, 12:34 PM   #4

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

As a family member you can notify the DMV of your state with your concerns and in most cases they will call the person in for an evaluation which usually includes an on the road test. The report remains confidential.

Or: do like I did with my Dad. Have a talk with him that his driving is so erratic, explaining all the problems you've seen, and it will eventually hurt or kill someone, and he, nor the family wants that to happen so we are taking the keys for the car. If you need to go someplace, call us and we'll get you there and back.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

gunnut07 Likes This 
Old 10-22-2012, 12:58 PM   #5

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Im probably going to get a lot of flack for this because most people around here have been told that driving is a privilege their entire lives. But as they have been told wrong, I disagree with you.

Traveling in a motor vehicle upon the city streets, and highways is a right, and for one to loose the ability to exercise this right due process is required. That and the fact that I know many people who are over the age of 60 and are better drivers than most of the population.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Old 10-22-2012, 01:38 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 482 Times on 235 Posts
Likes Given: 298

Beyond has a good point…about his Dad. To turn a specific situation into a general law is where we usually get it wrong. Witness Sarah Brady and handguns. It could be said that everyone should be mandated to pass the physical and written tests upon renewal of DL…but imagine the load that would throw on the DMV, which can barely manage to rubber stamp the paper trail it already has to handle.

Mandating eye tests for everyone renewing their DL is not a bad idea. Changing the driving habits for any specific person is probably not going to happen. Should some (of any age) be taken off the road? No doubt. IMO, It should be on a case-by-case basis.

Eturnsdale is right. Many, if not most seniors are better drivers than the ADD, texting, cell-phone junkie 18-year old with two screaming kids in the back seat.

Maybe c3 has a point. Raise the driving age. Or raise the age of having children!

(disclaimer) I am a senior citizen. My opinion may be influenced by my age.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:40 PM   #7

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

No one said your driving goes to hell at 60. Just a thought that it's a good age to start retesting individuals to make sure it is still safe for them to drive. I personally see nothing wrong with taking their driving privileges if they can't pass a driving test. The dangers of impaired driving are well known, and their onset with age is well documented. And yes, it is a privilege and not right, and I'll explain why. First, cars weren't around when the constitution was written, therefore, they, and the massive roadway systems we have now, never could have been anticipated. WE as People allowed their usage to be regulated because of this fact. You have the right to travel all you want, as many sovereigns like to tout, "I am but a man, traveling upon the land". But driving a car is not a right.

Edit: driving a car on a public roadway is not a right. Because we have allowed it to be regulated. We have forfeited it.

However, your can buy a car and drive it around on your own land all you want.

My granddad gave up driving on his own. He was driving just fine. But one day his difib zapped him, and he realized there was no way he should be behind the wheel anymore (he was getting out of the car in his drive way when it happened).

Last edited by trip286; 10-22-2012 at 01:43 PM.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:41 PM   #8

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellis36 View Post
Mandating eye tests for everyone renewing their DL is not a bad idea.
Obviously I can not speak for every state in the union. But I have had to do an eye test every time Ive renewed my license. And I have had licenses in several different states.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Old 10-22-2012, 01:55 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6149 Times on 3729 Posts
Likes Given: 7024

Here's my experience with this. As everyone knows by now, my Father suffered a stroke several years ago at around the age of 73. His left side was affected and he has been declining every since. About 3 years ago he had to renew his driver's license and he went in to do so. Mind you, at that time, he was walking with a cane and very obviously physically impaired. I was thrilled he was going to have to test because I was sure they would remove his driving privileges which would have been the right thing to do. He comes back laughing and saying they passed him. I was ticked beyond belief. I believe it was truly a case of the tester feeling sorry for an old man. To this day, my Father holds a valid driver's license. It takes us 5 minutes to get him in the car as a passenger at this point. The only thing that makes this okay with me is that he doesn't drive, he is perfectly okay to let someone drive for him.

'The rest of the story' is he has never been a safe driver. I can't tell you how many times I was a passenger in the car as he was driving and he'd pull a U turn just anywhere. When I'd scold him for it he would say (seriously), "No one wants to get in an accident. The other drivers will do whatever they can to avoid hitting me." What a selfish and ignorant attitude!! Some of you may also remember me saying my Father and I haven't always been close.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:02 PM   #10

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

I worry more about young drivers 16-25 than I do old drivers, txt, music, hot rodding, they suck too!

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

rjd3282 Likes This