Drawing your firearm in self-defense


Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Drawing your firearm in self-defense

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2013, 05:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
VazDaGoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 122
Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts

Default Drawing your firearm in self-defense

I'm just curious: has anyone ever actually drawn their firearm in self-defense, or worst, has anyone ever shot someone else in self defense? If so, please share your stories. I'm only asking because I've never had to personally, but I always wonder how a situation like that would play out.



__________________
VazDaGoon is offline  
dango Likes This 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 07-02-2013, 05:53 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
danf_fl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LA (Lower Alabama),FL
Posts: 10,177
Liked 2797 Times on 1618 Posts
Likes Given: 1218

Default

You could get 1,000 stories, but keep in mind that there are some of us who are unwilling to contribute input.

If you get the magazine from the NRA, there are normally examples in there of self defense.

(And let's hope that you never have to do it personally.)



__________________

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

danf_fl is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:57 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
VazDaGoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 122
Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl
You could get 1,000 stories, but keep in mind that there are some of us who are unwilling to contribute input.

If you get the magazine from the NRA, there are normally examples in there of self defense.

(And let's hope that you never have to do it personally.)
I agree. Thanks for the mag reference.
__________________
VazDaGoon is offline  
dango Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:18 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Jagermeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 6,815
Liked 3860 Times on 2304 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Default

Question 1. Humans are individuals, so everyone will react differently. I have had to protect myself from animals a number of times. I just felt panicky. I am also a hunter, so killing does not bother me like the first time I shot a deer. Humans are a totally different beast. Ok, I can tell you one story and reaction that ended well. My instincts kicked in. I did not feel the gun. I only felt my trigger finger (heavy with my heart beat) and my face (flushed and heavy with blood rushing to it). I had shallow breath. I sort of had tunnel vision. I could see the target clearly, but my outer vision was darker and a little more fuzzy. Time went on..and on. Why? I had to hold a man breaking into my bedroom at gunpoint (this was in Mississippi) until the cops came. I did not shoot him with my Colt .45 because I knew he was a drunk man and he made a mistake. I will never forget the look on his face staring into the barrel of my .45. He smelled really bad. His breath reaked. He said "I am sorry, I think I am in the wrong house." No **** Sherlock. I said "no move....I will shoot" in an almost whisper. It was not easy to talk. He nodded his head. The funny thing is that I told the police on the phone that he looked like Paul Bunyon (he had a red and black flannel shirt and a black beard). The cops were joking with me after. I was young and never been in this situation, so I was too shocked to laugh at the time. Now that I am trained I know to handle and react more appropriately.
Question 2: That is not an appropriate question to ask someone.

__________________
Jagermeister is offline  
3
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:34 PM   #5
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
c3shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Third bunker on the right,Central Virginia
Posts: 16,559
Liked 8708 Times on 3768 Posts
Likes Given: 1339

Default

Sir- not to be rude, but to be to the point- you are asking the most personal question that you can ask another person- and I do not know you well enough to answer a question THAT personal.

__________________

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

c3shooter is offline  
3
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:38 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
VazDaGoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 122
Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister
Question 1. Humans are individuals, so everyone will react differently. I have had to protect myself from animals a number of times. I just felt panicky. I am also a hunter, so killing does not bother me like the first time I shot a deer. Humans are a totally different beast. Ok, I can tell you one story and reaction that ended well. My instincts kicked in. I did not feel the gun. I only felt my trigger finger (heavy with my heart beat) and my face (flushed and heavy with blood rushing to it). I had shallow breath. I sort of had tunnel vision. I could see the target clearly, but my outer vision was darker and a little more fuzzy. Time went on..and on. Why? I had to hold a man breaking into my bedroom at gunpoint (this was in Mississippi) until the cops came. I did not shoot him with my Colt .45 because I knew he was a drunk man and he made a mistake. I will never forget the look on his face staring into the barrel of my .45. He smelled really bad. His breath reaked. He said "I am sorry, I think I am in the wrong house." No **** Sherlock. I said "no move....I will shoot" in an almost whisper. It was not easy to talk. He nodded his head. The funny thing is that I told the police on the phone that he looked like Paul Bunyon (he had a red and black flannel shirt and a black beard). The cops were joking with me after. I was young and never been in this situation, so I was too shocked to laugh at the time. Now that I am trained I know to handle and react more appropriately.
Question 2: That is not an appropriate question to ask someone.
Wow great story, thanks for sharing. I agree with the second part of the question. I shouldn't have asked that. I didn't use my head.
__________________
VazDaGoon is offline  
dango Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:25 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
dango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 5,853
Liked 2997 Times on 1716 Posts
Likes Given: 17675

Default

What , Whaaaaaat..? Yooz are......gun owners..?

Eeeeek.!

__________________
dango is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:49 PM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
NC1760's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Nawth Cackalackee
Posts: 941
Liked 674 Times on 371 Posts
Likes Given: 1422

Default Drawing my weapon (ANY weapon..)

Quick & easy answer.... Nope... Never had to, pray to GOD I never have to either.... but just like any other incident/accident that might occur, it pays to be aware of what to do IF something happens.

Recommend you backtrack in the forum and go to the "Concealed Carry/Personal Protection" heading and read the first "sticky" by Canebrake called "read this before you decide to carry".... It'll answer any and all your questions and might bring up a couple you haven't thought about.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/read-before-you-decide-carry-67036/

__________________
NC1760 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:14 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
VazDaGoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 122
Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC1760
Quick & easy answer.... Nope... Never had to, pray to GOD I never have to either.... but just like any other incident/accident that might occur, it pays to be aware of what to do IF something happens.

Recommend you backtrack in the forum and go to the "Concealed Carry/Personal Protection" heading and read the first "sticky" by Canebrake called "read this before you decide to carry".... It'll answer any and all your questions and might bring up a couple you haven't thought about.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/read-before-you-decide-carry-67036/
Ok. Thanks
__________________
VazDaGoon is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:26 AM   #10
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
danf_fl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LA (Lower Alabama),FL
Posts: 10,177
Liked 2797 Times on 1618 Posts
Likes Given: 1218

Default

Just as I have a first aid kit that has never been used.
And that fire extinguisher that has not been used.

Situation awareness should be learned and heeded. But Murphy's law cannot be repealed.



__________________

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

danf_fl is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Home defense without a firearm Yunus The Club House 30 08-29-2010 03:46 PM
What should my first firearm be (using for home-defense) Ninj A. Cat Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection 68 08-22-2010 06:20 PM
New products! Black Rain Defense, Kaiser Defense, Armalite, and many others! marksarmory.com Sponsor Display 0 09-23-2009 07:12 PM