Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Drawing your firearm in self-defense (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/drawing-your-firearm-self-defense-93248/)

VazDaGoon 07-02-2013 06:35 PM

Drawing your firearm in self-defense
 
I'm just curious: has anyone ever actually drawn their firearm in self-defense, or worst, has anyone ever shot someone else in self defense? If so, please share your stories. I'm only asking because I've never had to personally, but I always wonder how a situation like that would play out.

danf_fl 07-02-2013 06:53 PM

You could get 1,000 stories, but keep in mind that there are some of us who are unwilling to contribute input.

If you get the magazine from the NRA, there are normally examples in there of self defense.

(And let's hope that you never have to do it personally.)

VazDaGoon 07-02-2013 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl
You could get 1,000 stories, but keep in mind that there are some of us who are unwilling to contribute input.

If you get the magazine from the NRA, there are normally examples in there of self defense.

(And let's hope that you never have to do it personally.)

I agree. Thanks for the mag reference.

Jagermeister 07-02-2013 07:18 PM

Question 1. Humans are individuals, so everyone will react differently. I have had to protect myself from animals a number of times. I just felt panicky. I am also a hunter, so killing does not bother me like the first time I shot a deer. Humans are a totally different beast. Ok, I can tell you one story and reaction that ended well. My instincts kicked in. I did not feel the gun. I only felt my trigger finger (heavy with my heart beat) and my face (flushed and heavy with blood rushing to it). I had shallow breath. I sort of had tunnel vision. I could see the target clearly, but my outer vision was darker and a little more fuzzy. Time went on..and on. Why? I had to hold a man breaking into my bedroom at gunpoint (this was in Mississippi) until the cops came. I did not shoot him with my Colt .45 because I knew he was a drunk man and he made a mistake. I will never forget the look on his face staring into the barrel of my .45. He smelled really bad. His breath reaked. He said "I am sorry, I think I am in the wrong house." No **** Sherlock. I said "no move....I will shoot" in an almost whisper. It was not easy to talk. He nodded his head. The funny thing is that I told the police on the phone that he looked like Paul Bunyon (he had a red and black flannel shirt and a black beard). The cops were joking with me after. I was young and never been in this situation, so I was too shocked to laugh at the time. Now that I am trained I know to handle and react more appropriately.
Question 2: That is not an appropriate question to ask someone.

c3shooter 07-02-2013 07:34 PM

Sir- not to be rude, but to be to the point- you are asking the most personal question that you can ask another person- and I do not know you well enough to answer a question THAT personal.

VazDaGoon 07-02-2013 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jagermeister
Question 1. Humans are individuals, so everyone will react differently. I have had to protect myself from animals a number of times. I just felt panicky. I am also a hunter, so killing does not bother me like the first time I shot a deer. Humans are a totally different beast. Ok, I can tell you one story and reaction that ended well. My instincts kicked in. I did not feel the gun. I only felt my trigger finger (heavy with my heart beat) and my face (flushed and heavy with blood rushing to it). I had shallow breath. I sort of had tunnel vision. I could see the target clearly, but my outer vision was darker and a little more fuzzy. Time went on..and on. Why? I had to hold a man breaking into my bedroom at gunpoint (this was in Mississippi) until the cops came. I did not shoot him with my Colt .45 because I knew he was a drunk man and he made a mistake. I will never forget the look on his face staring into the barrel of my .45. He smelled really bad. His breath reaked. He said "I am sorry, I think I am in the wrong house." No **** Sherlock. I said "no move....I will shoot" in an almost whisper. It was not easy to talk. He nodded his head. The funny thing is that I told the police on the phone that he looked like Paul Bunyon (he had a red and black flannel shirt and a black beard). The cops were joking with me after. I was young and never been in this situation, so I was too shocked to laugh at the time. Now that I am trained I know to handle and react more appropriately.
Question 2: That is not an appropriate question to ask someone.

Wow great story, thanks for sharing. I agree with the second part of the question. I shouldn't have asked that. I didn't use my head.

dango 07-02-2013 08:25 PM

What , :confused: Whaaaaaat..? Yooz are......gun owners..?

Eeeeek.! :eek:

NC1760 07-03-2013 12:49 AM

Drawing my weapon (ANY weapon..)
 
Quick & easy answer.... Nope... Never had to, pray to GOD I never have to either.... but just like any other incident/accident that might occur, it pays to be aware of what to do IF something happens.

Recommend you backtrack in the forum and go to the "Concealed Carry/Personal Protection" heading and read the first "sticky" by Canebrake called "read this before you decide to carry".... It'll answer any and all your questions and might bring up a couple you haven't thought about.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/read-before-you-decide-carry-67036/

VazDaGoon 07-03-2013 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NC1760
Quick & easy answer.... Nope... Never had to, pray to GOD I never have to either.... but just like any other incident/accident that might occur, it pays to be aware of what to do IF something happens.

Recommend you backtrack in the forum and go to the "Concealed Carry/Personal Protection" heading and read the first "sticky" by Canebrake called "read this before you decide to carry".... It'll answer any and all your questions and might bring up a couple you haven't thought about.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/read-before-you-decide-carry-67036/

Ok. Thanks

danf_fl 07-03-2013 02:26 AM

Just as I have a first aid kit that has never been used.
And that fire extinguisher that has not been used.

Situation awareness should be learned and heeded. But Murphy's law cannot be repealed.


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:08 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.