The Double Standard Police
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > The Double Standard Police

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2010, 10:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default The Double Standard Police

Threads get old, and are often forgotten or lost in the forum.

Then, someone runs across the thread, posts a reply and reopens the thread. Other people join in and the thread has new life breathed into it. Now it's not dead anymore.

But eventually someone indignantly jumps in to criticize the fact that some old, dead, thread has been brought back to life.

OR, this happens.....

A new member asks a questions and someone jumps all over them and tells them to try the search function to get their question answered (presumably in one of those old necro threads). That always seems to me like they are being told to "shut up and not ask questions".

Seems to me like there may not be a way to win.

Personally, I like seeing old threads reopened. If people are posting in it, there must be a reason. Maybe it has become relevant again? Maybe it is just an interesting topic? Either way, it is still valid information.

And this much IS true. One person's "Dead/Necro Thread" is another person's "Clean, new info".

So if you don't like necro threads, maybe staying away from them is a good idea? Do we really need a "Necro thread Police Force"? If so, maybe threads should all have an "auto lock down" feature? After 30 days with no activity the thread gets locked?

I'd rather see them remain open, so that they can be brought back to life when the time is right.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-16-2010, 10:51 PM   #2

Liked 39 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I concur.

Zombie threads "neither pick my pocket nor break my leg." I DO wish that avatars stayed with the post though. I might be amused to see what some of you old timers were sporting back in the day. Maybe your avatars were in corduroy with bowl cuts back in '08

"Always carry a small flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. Furthermore, always carry a small snake." W.C. Fields

Old 10-16-2010, 10:55 PM   #3

Liked 1171 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 369

I hear what your saying but I think there are two ways that old threads are revived. First would be adding new information, if someone asks for additional information not already covered or adds something relevant to the thread, this is a positive thing and adds to the content on the boards. The other way that old threads are brought back is with useless info being added. Simply saying "yeah 1911's rock" or "Glocks suck" is not adding anything to the thread and it's annoying seeing a year old post brought back to life in that fashion.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 10-16-2010, 11:01 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

This most recent revival of a couple of threads was due to the resident handful.

I was unsure of his motives, so we exchanged PM's and the threads are alive out of honest interest.

If you revive an old thread with new info, or honest questions, that is great.

If you are reviving old threads to pad your post count, not so much.

JD

Old 10-16-2010, 11:22 PM   #5
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 468 Times on 257 Posts

Old 10-17-2010, 12:24 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I have been known to post about the dust accumulation in a thread. I will reconsider.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 10-17-2010, 02:13 AM   #7

Well I got a new project out of an old thread, range report of a 10mm, .357 mag., and .357 sig.
Thanks Shihan, no really, great question, and I’m a man of my word, so since I don’t have any FTF bush craft projects to work on (Where’s Francisco?) I’ll get to it as soon as possible.
I was kinda embarrassed after answering a hmmmmm, very interesting, 3 year old Glock thread though!
The guns to be used in the test are a Kimber, Sig, and Ruger

I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
-Ayn Rand

Old 10-17-2010, 03:08 AM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
If you revive an old thread with new info, or honest questions, that is great.

If you are reviving old threads to pad your post count, not so much.

Concour with you on this JD. Sometimes I've been reticent in reviving an old necro-thread, intending to ask new questions etc but have thought "hmm maybe too ancient to bring it back to life" If FTF members agree on this, then cool. I won't be so tentative in future.

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 10-17-2010, 04:00 AM   #9

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

There is no reason to have 20 threads about the same thing. If you find a thread that interests you and you have questions or new information:

By all means, breath some like into it.

If your only comment is "cool" then we can probably do without having it revived.

Old 10-17-2010, 04:11 AM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
I hear what your saying but I think there are two ways that old threads are revived. First would be adding new information, if someone asks for additional information not already covered or adds something relevant to the thread, this is a positive thing and adds to the content on the boards. The other way that old threads are brought back is with useless info being added. Simply saying "yeah 1911's rock" or "Glocks suck" is not adding anything to the thread and it's annoying seeing a year old post brought back to life in that fashion.
Zactly............!