Don't leave ur kids in car - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Don't leave ur kids in car

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2014, 12:13 AM   #31
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21584 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

anytime one of our dogs or cats is in one of our vehicles, there is specific destination in mind for them, the vet or groomer.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:23 PM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 235 Times on 151 Posts

In Las Vegas they roasted one or two per summer in the 80s. They passed a statute that makes it a felony to leave a child in a car unattended.

Early nineties I parked at the far end of the parking lot and was walking in to the grocery store. A women pulled away from the drive up window at the pharmacy, drove to the front of the drug store, parked the car on with the a/c running, and ran in to talk to the pharmacist about the scrip for the sick kids. Right after she left the car another car drove in and parked next to her. Out comes the cellphone and it wasn't ninety seconds before the first patrol car got there running code. They immediately broke all the windows out of the car, and transferred the screaming kids, car seats and all to the back of the patrol car. By the time she made it out of the pharmacy, three more units had arrived, and all eight guys took her to the pavement and held her down while they cuffed her. She ended up with second degree burns from the pavement.

Not sure they weren't abusively over reactive. And I am sure that the kids were just as safe in her air conditioned car as they were unattended and screaming in the backseat of the patrol car.

And kids die in hot cars for more reasons than parental neglect. When the step kids were young, we were getting ready to go to grammas. The boy was the youngest at two, walking really well but not quite talking yet. The three girls 5, 8, and 9-years older than he is, started teasing him and told him we were going to leave him home. His response was to, go out the back door, then get through a hole in the fence and sneak out to the van and get in his car seat.

We get ready to leave and can't find him. His mom and I, and the three big sisters, are looking in all his normal hiding places, in the house and backyard and can't find him. I finally make the girls talk me through the last time they saw him, and the youngest tells me they were teasing him about not going to gramma's.

I go out in the driveway and check the van. He's collapsed in his car seat, I grab his mom, a wet wash cloth, and her car keys and we bolt for the ER, with her on the phone to the ER to let them know we're headed in and wiping him down with the wash cloth. We got to the ER and they took him into a treatment room and started working to bring his core temp down. They called the cops and his mom almost lost custody of all four kids. Took nearly nine months to sort it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 07-17-2014, 02:35 AM   #33

Liked 246 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 12

"...a different type of glass that I'm a firm believer that purposely makes it hotter inside to make you run the AC more. Just a theory of mine. "

That above supposition is wrong . Manufacturers have used embedded reflective material in windshields to reflect the sun's rays and help the air conditioning keep the car cool . The stuff unfortunately reduced the range of radar detectors and I don't think they use it nowadays . Some vehicles have deeper tinted windows and windshields to help the air conditioning, partly because R-12 ( Freon ) was banned and Ru-134 doesn't cool as well .

Old 07-17-2014, 02:37 AM   #34

Liked 246 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
When I was a kid we got to walk to school without worrying some sicko would grab you. High school kids would have rifles in the back of their car. Principles used to paddle misbehaving children and stuff like that. Those things were all ok back then. But we never heard of anybody leaving their kid in a hot car with the windows rolled up. I mean...you just didn't do that.
Uh oh ! Are we going to debate the " easy availability of paddles " ?