Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Don't leave ur kids in car (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/dont-leave-ur-kids-car-108589/)

Bigcountry02 07-11-2014 06:28 PM

Don't leave ur kids in car

Don't leave ur kids in car. This should also go for pets as well!

303tom 07-11-2014 06:40 PM

I don`t know how someone could forget & leave a kid in the car !...........

Axxe55 07-11-2014 06:50 PM

i don't think some people realize just how hot the interior of a vehicle can get on a hot day, and how quick.

my brother and i did an informal test on a couple of vehicles several years ago on a sunny summer day in the upper 90's. in about an hours time with the windows up, a light colored vehicle was over 150 degrees inside. the dark colored vehicle was over 160 degrees inside.

i sat in one of the vehicle for less than five minutes, and in less than two minutes, i was almost soaking wet from sweating, and the air was so hot, it was ver6y hard to breathe.

now i am a grown man, and was in pretty decent shape when we did that test. how long would an infant, or a child or the family pet last inside that same vehicle with interior temperatures over 150 degrees? my guess? not very long.

manta 07-11-2014 07:05 PM

Cars have being known to go on fire when parked, so leaving children unattended in one is definitely a bad idea, even on a cold day.

Quote:

Northern Ireland woman Aged just two she was severely burned in a car fire which killed her older sister, and left her needing weekly operations on her injuries. Melanie's mother had just gone into the shop to buy milk, and minutes later passers-by were struggling to pull her two young toddlers from a blazing vehicle.

Tragically, three-year-old Amanda did not survive the fire, while Melanie escaped with third-degree burns.

The exact cause of the fire remains a mystery, but Melanie has been living with the consequences ever since.

winds-of-change 07-11-2014 08:18 PM

I am not kidding, if I saw a child or an animal overheated in a car, there will be busted windows........

Axxe55 07-11-2014 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winds-of-change (Post 1602951)
I am not kidding, if I saw a child or an animal overheated in a car, there will be busted windows........

most definately Winds.

the amount of heat that can build up in an enclosed space can be fatal. that isn't an opinion, that is fact. children and pets have died in vehicles from the heat.

there is a news story now, of a father on trial for murder in Georgia i believe, whose infant son died in a vehicle when he was left there all day.

SSGSF 07-11-2014 10:50 PM

I leave my kids in the truck all the time when I go to the gas station . But my truck never shuts off and my AC blows very cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

CardiacColt68 07-11-2014 10:59 PM

Hope they don't drive off on you someday. 😃

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

winds-of-change 07-11-2014 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axxe55 (Post 1602961)
most definately Winds.

the amount of heat that can build up in an enclosed space can be fatal. that isn't an opinion, that is fact. children and pets have died in vehicles from the heat.

there is a news story now, of a father on trial for murder in Georgia i believe, whose infant son died in a vehicle when he was left there all day.

There is some suspicion in this case.

But yes, you hear of this happening to children every summer. It's a terrible tragedy, indeed.

manta 07-11-2014 11:20 PM

Not just a bad idea it could be illegal.

Quote:

19 states in the US have laws that specifically make it illegal to leave a child unattended in a vehicle. Is your state one of them?
Quote:

In ruling against a mother who left her toddler strapped in a car seat while she shopped, a state appeals court said today that leaving a young child alone in a vehicle — even briefly — is abuse or neglect