Dominant eye.

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Dominant eye.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2012, 12:23 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 65 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Dominant eye.

Not sure if this is the right area, but has anyone ever had their dominant eye change? Is it possible? My eye doctor says my eye sight has not changed in 4 years, but I can tell it is degregating. I was showing some of my cadets yesterday how to check to see which is their dominant eye and was surprised twice to see that it was my left. Any thoughts or experiences?

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ كفري

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-25-2012, 12:28 AM   #2

Liked 226 Times on 141 Posts

I'm right side dominant in almost all body parts,and shoot rifles looking through my right eye... As that's the only eye to shoot with without switching the rifle to the left side of your body. But when shooting handguns I close my right eye,turn my head slightly,and look down the sights with my left eye. Been shooting that way all my life just noticed a few years back,I can shoot just fine with my right eye but have to actively remind myself to use it instead of my left eye.

Old 12-25-2012, 12:39 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1588 Times on 1085 Posts
Likes Given: 548

Even though I have lazy eye. I never think of my right eye as dominant. I always shoot with both eyes open, even with a scope. I can't see a lot pf details with my left eye but I can see well enough to pick up running game with my scope. When I shoot anything with iron sights I keep both eyes open. Good depth perception is helpful. Everyone loses depth perception when they close one eye.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 12-25-2012, 01:09 AM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I am with John_Deer except for the shooting A rifle. I shoot hand guns with both hands & both eyes open, shotgun right handed with both eyes open. I can shoot A rifle with right or left but have to use the eye that matches the hand to acquire the target then open the opposite eye.

He Who Expects Nothing Won't Be Deceived!!!

Old 12-25-2012, 01:55 AM   #5
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1908 Times on 1103 Posts
Likes Given: 3902

Left eye for long guns and right eye for hand guns.

Old 12-25-2012, 08:30 AM   #6

Liked 282 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Well I only have one eye so.... I dont really have a choice, im right eye dominant.

Old 12-25-2012, 11:47 AM   #7
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6134 Times on 3038 Posts
Likes Given: 6513

Im pretty farsighted and fairly blind uncorrected in my right eye but do shoot Shotgun Righty. I shoot any Rifle or pistol Lefty but thats nearly the extent of my Ambidextrous-ness.

Eyes do not age equally anymore than they see equally, slight changes in vision are often undetectable to the Eye Doc but we sense them when we do certain tasks that our eyes can no longer adjust perfectly to. Hang in their, play with some of the cheepo walmart glasses and see if that helps, you would be surprised what a tiny modification in lenses can do.

Old 12-25-2012, 08:35 PM   #8
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1577 Times on 964 Posts
Likes Given: 8154

Quote:
Originally Posted by fupuk View Post
Well I only have one eye so.... I dont really have a choice, im right eye dominant.
I'm in the same boat. 5 years ago, I developed macular degeneration, and as a result, I lost the vison used for fine detail in my right eye. I still have peripheral in it, but I now shoot exclusively left handed with long guns. I still shoot right handed with pistols, but I have to use a modified weaver stance, sighting with my left eye. I was right eye dominant before this happened.

My vision is stable, for now. My eye doctors all thought I would be blind by now, but I'm not. I do have a small blind spot in my left eye, but it has not grown or changed in 7 years. It only affects me out past 600 yards, and the extent of the effect is that I can lose sight of a 5 gallon bucket at that distance if I am not looking directly at it. Close up, I only have a spot where a letter in a word on the line below will partially dissapear when I look at the line I am reading. I do what I can to keep the sight I have left, but I do realize that there is a good chance I will eventually go blind.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 12-25-2012, 09:35 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Dominant Eye

There have been several posts regarding dominant eyes but for the life of me, it sounds like chasing a dead horse. First off, it really is a mute subject when you're talking about shooting. the handgun and shotgun are shot with both eyes open...Period. If you've been shooting a rifle right handed and have no problems, don't worry about it. Until I had my Cataracts removed a year ago, I could not use iron sites on my rifles. Now it 20-20 and am so relieved. I wonder what's next for this 74 yr. old. Dogwalk