Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Domestic Abuse

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2013, 04:02 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2832 Times on 1639 Posts
Likes Given: 16886

Bottom line: Don 't let anything push your wrong button..! We all have the power to chose on what and when to act..!

We all have thoughts , our actions define our being..! All buttons OFF..!

Old 06-20-2013, 07:23 AM   #12
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6743 Times on 4074 Posts
Likes Given: 8041

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
OK- from the start- I am not a lawyer. If you need legal advice, see a lawyer, not an internet forum- since NONE of us will be sitting in the cell beside you.

Having said that, as I understand the FEDERAL law on this- If you have been CONVICTED of a crime of Domestic Violence- misdemeanor or felony, it is illegal for you to possess a firearm.

Period.

No "for 5 years" or any such thing.

Period. No. uh-uh. Nope. Nyet. Nein. Not ever. Unless you get a pardon from the Governor or President.

Not a pistol, not a rifle, not a shotgun, not a round of ammo.
That is correct as far as I have heard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
It's serious enough that in the military, a member who has a domestic violence conviction, cannot stand armed watches. They can't qualify with firearms. Therefore retention in the military may be pretty short after a domestic violence conviction.
Wow, that is interesting.
dango Likes This 
Old 06-20-2013, 09:53 AM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2579 Times on 1355 Posts
Likes Given: 197

Yup, any conviction of domestic violence will cause you to lose your right to ever own a firearm. Shove your significant other and pay a small fine? No more guns, ever.

This is one of the more ludacris parts of the law. No injury, no jail time, but no guns. In Texas Assault by Contact (no injury) and Assault by Threat are lClass C Misdemeanors punishable by a fine of up to $200 and NO jail time (the same as a traffic ticket. A conviction of either of these two offenses when the victim is a family member will get you out of the gun club.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

dango Likes This 
Old 06-20-2013, 10:26 AM   #14
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2635 Times on 1536 Posts
Likes Given: 1169

When that got through the red tape in DC, a lot of LOE were disqualified also.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

dango Likes This 
Old 06-20-2013, 06:17 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2832 Times on 1639 Posts
Likes Given: 16886

No thanks , but have considered it lately..!

Old 06-20-2013, 07:09 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I am NOT a fan of this law.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

dango Likes This 
Old 06-20-2013, 07:18 PM   #17

Liked 40 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I have a friend facing that problem right now. He has to get his record esponged. That costs money and is not always possible. Any woman can call the cops on you and say you spit hit or pushed them and you can be convicted guilty or not and it happens all the time.
I have no use for a man who beats a woman or kids but many men get convicted that didn't do what they were accused of.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:47 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by onenut58 View Post
I have a friend facing that problem right now. He has to get his record esponged. That costs money and is not always possible. Any woman can call the cops on you and say you spit hit or pushed them and you can be convicted guilty or not and it happens all the time.
I have no use for a man who beats a woman or kids but many men get convicted that didn't do what they were accused of
I think this is part of the reason some guys "go out for a pack of smokes" and don't ever come back.

I was at a buddy's house one recent evening, having a few beverages, when he was called in by his wife. The rest of us assumed he was being read a honey-do list or something and continued porch-chatting. He came back out, told us he had to split, and headed for his truck. I stopped him, since he had been drinking some beverages too, and asked what was up and if he was sure he wanted to be driving. He explained that they had been arguing and that she had started swinging, prompting him to leave and avoid getting mad enough to push her back. That stumped me: should I suggest he remain there and risk some kind of DV situation or should I let him drive with illegal breath? I suggested he go to a nearby buddy's place and let her cool off. Moral of the story: Don't drink with your wife if she is an unruly drunk. Doesn't make her a bad person, but she isn't somebody to be around if drinking to excess, and that isn't as simple if you are married to her. Obviously, roles can be reversed in this situation.

Easy enough for me from now on; I won't be around there if she is drinking in any significant quantity. Too bad; I am short on drinking buddies.

I had heard before that these two had past "conflicts" that were actually her "fault" and had assumed that to be questionable info. I have rethought my opinion on that info.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 06-20-2013 at 08:49 PM.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:02 PM   #19

Liked 698 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 225

I believe (I don't really know) that if you are "accused" of Domestic Violence, the cops often(always?) confiscate all your firearms. Until such time as you are cleared of the charge.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:31 PM   #20

Liked 4524 Times on 2187 Posts
Likes Given: 1349

Bingo...

...and I'm pretty sure that nifty BATF form we all fill out when purchasing a firearm specifically asks if you've ever been convicted of a felony...OR a misdemeanor Domestic Violence.

This was another piece of BS legislation the NRA buckled on.

It was never about protecting women...and always about expanding restrictions beyond felons...

...and NO... I've never hit my wife.

Tack

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
OK- from the start- I am not a lawyer. If you need legal advice, see a lawyer, not an internet forum- since NONE of us will be sitting in the cell beside you.

Having said that, as I understand the FEDERAL law on this- If you have been CONVICTED of a crime of Domestic Violence- misdemeanor or felony, it is illegal for you to possess a firearm.

Period.

No "for 5 years" or any such thing.

Period. No. uh-uh. Nope. Nyet. Nein. Not ever. Unless you get a pardon from the Governor or President.

Not a pistol, not a rifle, not a shotgun, not a round of ammo.