Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Domestic Abuse (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/domestic-abuse-92558/)

nate913 06-20-2013 02:34 AM

Domestic Abuse

I got into a debate with a friend after watching IraqVet on YouTube. Of someone has a domestic abuse on there record. Are they able to have handguns. From what I thought, if owned them before, you can get but can't buy for 5 years? IraqVet YouTube channel said that you can not

dango 06-20-2013 02:42 AM

I,m no lawyer , but associate (Domestic Abuse) with a (Felony) ..!
I would think , no guns..? :confused:

nate913 06-20-2013 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dango
I,m no lawyer , but associate (Domestic Abuse) with a (Felony) ..!
I would think , no guns..? :confused:

Domestic abuse is not a felony

DrumJunkie 06-20-2013 02:47 AM

In my state (Ky) a domestic can get a permit holders permit pulled. But I don't think it will not allow them to purchase. But I have no real reference for that.

dango 06-20-2013 02:47 AM

What am I thinking..? (domestic violence)..? :confused:

c3shooter 06-20-2013 02:48 AM

OK- from the start- I am not a lawyer. If you need legal advice, see a lawyer, not an internet forum- since NONE of us will be sitting in the cell beside you.

Having said that, as I understand the FEDERAL law on this- If you have been CONVICTED of a crime of Domestic Violence- misdemeanor or felony, it is illegal for you to possess a firearm.

Period.

No "for 5 years" or any such thing.

Period. No. uh-uh. Nope. Nyet. Nein. Not ever. Unless you get a pardon from the Governor or President.

Not a pistol, not a rifle, not a shotgun, not a round of ammo.

dango 06-20-2013 02:50 AM

[QUOTE=c3shooter;1281245]OK- from the start- I am not a lawyer. If you need legal advice, see a lawyer, not an internet forum- since NONE of us will be sitting in the cell beside you.

Having said that, as I understand the FEDERAL law on this- If you have been CONVICTED of a crime of Domestic Violence- misdemeanor or felony, it is illegal for you to possess a firearm.

Period.

No "for 5 years" or any such thing.

Period. No. uh-uh. Nope. Nyet. Nein. Not ever. Unless you get a pardon from the Governor or President.

Not a pistol, not a rifle, not a shotgun, not a round of ammo.[/QUOTE
Thank you (JUDD) ...! :D

nate913 06-20-2013 03:03 AM

This question was off the YouTube channel of IraqVet. I just heard them debate it and was wondering.

SSGN_Doc 06-20-2013 03:06 AM

It's serious enough that in the military, a member who has a domestic violence conviction, cannot stand armed watches. They can't qualify with firearms. Therefore retention in the military may be pretty short after a domestic violence conviction.

kryptar19 06-20-2013 03:14 AM

On the 4473, question 11, section I (Indigo), "Have you ever been convicted in any court of a misdemeanor domestic violence?"

This is a QUALIFYING question, is you answer YES you can NOT buy a firearm. I have turned down many customers because of this.