Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Dogs Are Man's Best Friend & Sometimes Heroes (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/dogs-mans-best-friend-sometimes-heroes-97122/)

Sniper03 09-16-2013 12:14 AM

Dogs Are Man's Best Friend & Sometimes Heroes

1 Attachment(s)
I was setting here this evening watching football. When I looked over and seen my Yellow Lab Baby sleeping on the couch. Brought back great memories about our hero named Angel who was also a Yellow Lab. Who was hit by my barn builders wife by my garage as she came up the drive not paying any attention at the end of my 1/2 mile lane and driveway. She was almost 4 years old. It was a sad and terrible day!
But I thought of her as being our families Heroe! And could never repay her for her heroic act the year before her death when she was 3. One morning at around 2:00am she came to my bedside whining excessively and all wound up. Thinking something was wrong or someone was in or attempting to get in. This since she had never done this before I grabbed my Glock 27, listened for any sounds. And then began a systematic search of the house. As I went down the long hall leading to the living room still not hearing anything I proceed into the kitchen and dining room area. Angel went to the garage door and was whining. Thinking someone might be attempting to enter there or was in the garage. I listened for a minute or so. Then turned on the light and stepped into the garage as an overbearing smell of gasoline was permeating the air. What had happened was the float bowl on my 6500 watt portable generator had rusted from the inside and sprung a leak causing about a 6 square foot pool of gasoline on the floor. I opened the garage door and windows, threw kitty litter on the pool and pulled the generator out of the garage. And also shut off the refrigerator in the garage and other electrical power. I did not pull the plugs for fear of a spark. Moral of the story Angel probably saved our life that night and is truly a Hero! Hope to see her again someday at the Rainbow Bridge. So they truly are man's (Family's) best friend. Let's here some of your best friends stories. I am sure she is not the only hero out there! But she was ours! Her is a picture of our HERO! ANGEL!

winds-of-change 09-16-2013 12:22 AM

I don't have a story as good as yours but I know for a fact my pets, whether cat or dog, have gotten me through some very difficult personal times. I felt protected and I had an ever ready friend whenever I needed one.

Dearhunter 09-16-2013 01:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This dog lost his hero!

Attachment 118651

JW357 09-16-2013 01:08 AM

Sniper03,

Excellent, heart-warming story. I'm sorry you lost Angel so early. She sounds like a wonderful dog.

When I was a baby, I had a habit (so I'm told) of crawling away from my momma when she wasn't paying 100% attention. We used to live on a horse ranch of 6 acres, and there was a vegetable garden my mom used to keep up with. She was out gardening one day, and I was out there as well. Well, apparently she was distracted and I wandered off into the horse pasture. We had a crazy horse out there, whose name I can't remember now. Apparently I was fairly fearless, as I thought it a good idea to go up to this horse. My Chocolate Lab, Sam, was luckily paying attention to me. I was crawling up to this wild horse, who was rearing up on his hind legs and kicking out with his front while standing like that, snorting and carrying on. Sam came bolting out to my defense. He got in between myself and the horse and started growling and snarling at the horse, all while backing me up and getting me to safety. I have no doubt he saved my life that day.

Another day, once again my mom was out in the garden working and I was playing nearby. Well, once again I decided to go off on an adventure. I apparently got inside the forest. My mom realized I was gone and freaked out. She told Sam (the same dog) to go find me. "Sam, go get Johnny." So Sam bolted off into the woods and brought me back, dragged me by my diaper.

I don't really remember him, as he died a very long time ago, but from everything I've been told about him, he was one of the best dogs we've ever had. Definitely brave and loyal to a T.

Lanniepig 09-16-2013 01:34 AM

4 Attachment(s)
My dogs are members of my family and not just pets. The more you love them the more they will love you. You can't out love a dog. They can change your life if you let them. Truly priceless moments.

indy36 09-16-2013 03:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Lanniepig, you speak the truth. Here is Martha, our pit bull/boxer mix, sandwiched right between the wife and I. That's 92 pounds of love right there.Attachment 118672

nitestalker 09-16-2013 05:16 AM

Nice story thanks. Dogs give so much and ask for so little in there too short lives. :)

SmallHands 09-16-2013 06:55 AM

Omg! amazing doggy stories! i love it! Although my dogs aren't as heroic and are tiny little chihuahuas, they are very quiet and are not ankle biters lol. They are my heros for listening to outsiders who walk pass by our apt. They quietly run to the door and their ears stand up stick straight letting me kno that there are strangers outside. Sometimes they do a low growl or a quiet bark alerting me. I esp like it when they alert me at night. Its pretty scary to be a young girl in her early 20's living all alone lol! I very much also think that dogs are mans best friend and heros!!! Including self defense firearms lol!

primer1 09-16-2013 05:23 PM

I had a boxer lab mix, fritz, who I'll never be able to replace. My wife was nine months pregnant, and freaking big. Big enough I talked her into a picture with a plate of food on her belly. Anyway, she walked over to my grandmas house next door, and fell down in the driveway. My grandma wasn't home, nobody was at my house to hear her yell, and she didn't have her phone with her. She was too big and topheavy to do anything with herself. Fritz walked over to her, spread all four legs, looked at her, and whined. She used him to stand up, and he knew that's what she needed.

That dog watched over my kid until the day he died. One day, as a baby she crawled into another room where fritz was. I went to get her, and she had her finger under that dogs eyelid, wiggling it and giggling. Fritz just looked at me with his other eye, as if to say, please make it stop.

trip286 09-16-2013 05:34 PM

When I was six, my dog "Nickel" got me lost in the woods (my own fault really)! He took off chasing a deer. And I took off chasing him.

To him, it was just a hunting expedition. We spent several days in the woods, wandering around mostly in circles.

That dog never left my side. My parents got him when I was born, and he quickly became "mine", and was my constant companion until he died when I was 8, just a few days before Christmas.

He was 1/2 catahoula, and 1/4 each Siberian husky, Alaskan malamute. We believe he was poisoned by someone.