Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Dogs and loud noises (shooting, fireworks etc)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2013, 03:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 158 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Default Dogs and loud noises (shooting, fireworks etc)

We have to rescue dogs. Our female I literally picked her up as she was running in a busy road when she was 5-6 weeks old with 2 other pups. Got rid of the other 2 and kept her. Her name is Angel, and she is one for sure. Right after we got her we took her EVERYWHERE, shooting, camping, off roading, to the sand dunes (LOTS of noise) and she took everything in stride. Will lay at your feet while you are shooting, loves to ride shotgun in the dune buggy, hops in the Rhino and will ride all day, can camp without being tied up, she will stay in camp (well except the occasional squirrel chasing ) without us "training" her. She is at best guess either great Pyrenees/golden retriever or something that is pure white and a fluff ball. LOL

Fast forward a few years, we rescue a 4 month old chocolate flat coated retriever. We named him Turbo (very appropriate for him!). His 1st owners had a kid that was TERRIFIED of him since day 1. So he was restricted to the kitchen area and outside. Nice people, they thought the kid may grow out if it but he didn't so dog has to go. Well we tried to integrate him into normal routine but he was TERRIFIED of shooting, we almost lost him the 1st time we took him, we go camping he has to be tied up at camp otherwise he is wandering off. He is a good dog otherwise, loves the pool and ANY water in general, loving and protective of us, but any loud noise he freaks. Like shaking like a leaf hiding under my legs with his tail tucked as far as it can be. He is "OK" with going in the Rhino and we only took him to the dunes a couple of times because he was so scared that it wasn't fun for any of us. He does like car rides and if it is off roading in the Suburban he is having a great time! I thought that he may learn off his big sister over time that it is OK if there are loud noises because nothing phases her, but after 3 years, nope. So now every holiday that has fireworks we are stuck at home because I don't want him hurting himself by flipping out and Angel gives us the Evil Eye everytime we go camping or shooting or anything because she is missing out because of Turbo, I swear dogs are alot smarter than we give them credit for LOL.

Sorry for the novel just curious if anyone else has a dog or knows any ideas how to help him get over thise fear?

20130224_195302.jpg   20130601_172132_6.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-05-2013, 04:10 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2141 Times on 1067 Posts
Likes Given: 1089

Queen,

Great dogs! Obviously they are not spoiled are they!!!!!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 07-05-2013, 04:13 PM   #3
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6669 Times on 4034 Posts
Likes Given: 7921

Try slowly conditioning him to gunfire. Maybe just .22's to start while he is safely in the car. Also, try one of these Thundershirts. They work miracles on nervous dogs. I have one for each of my dogs. I don't need to use them very often but they have always worked.

http://www.thundershirt.com/?gclid=CP_wiMffmLgCFVQV7AodhBwA2Q

Old 07-05-2013, 04:47 PM   #4

Liked 158 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Thank you both for the replies. Our dogs aren't spoiled per se, they are just well loved

I hadn't thought about the thundershirt. may be worth a try. Even with the 22 he still freaks out. Heck even my son's pellet guns or Nerf guns gets him worked up! Even when we clean our guns, just the sound of racking the slide causes him to run around the house barking and digging, yes digging, on the tiles like a mad man. If 40.00 saves him and us from this anxiety then I'll take it!

Old 07-05-2013, 04:49 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1138 Times on 557 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Good luck with the noise. I am currently in possession of my daughter's Pomeranian who is completely terrified of loud noises. Thunder, fireworks, my son or I yelling to celebrate a hockey or soccer goal. He just sits and shakes. I would never think of firing a gun near him.

We tried the thunder shirt, and it has not worked yet. I need to get it from my daughter and try it again. I am unwilling to give up on it so quickly.

The idea of slowly acquainting him to shooting, like with a 22 seems like it has some merit. Let us know if it works.

A bad day at the range is better then a good day on the job!

Old 07-05-2013, 04:56 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5799 Times on 3168 Posts
Likes Given: 10983

I saw an advertisement for a coat that calms dogs.

image-4270850238.jpg  

No offense and none taken

Old 07-05-2013, 05:30 PM   #7

Liked 211 Times on 139 Posts

A friend of mine told me his vet gave him a tip once. He said that during thunderstorms aside from the sound if the thunder one of the things that freaks dogs out is the static electricity in the air.

The vet told him to take dryer sheets and rub them all over the dogs fur then tie one to his collar (no joke,totally serious). Well my buddy said it worked pretty well and he still does it every time there is a storm. I assume the Thunder Shirts work under the same idea but just a guess.

I still don't see how it will help with fireworks or gunshots though. Good Luck

Old 07-05-2013, 05:32 PM   #8
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6669 Times on 4034 Posts
Likes Given: 7921

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenGlamis View Post
I hadn't thought about the thundershirt. may be worth a try. Even with the 22 he still freaks out. Heck even my son's pellet guns or Nerf guns gets him worked up! Even when we clean our guns, just the sound of racking the slide causes him to run around the house barking and digging, yes digging, on the tiles like a mad man. If 40.00 saves him and us from this anxiety then I'll take it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daoust_Nat View Post
We tried the thunder shirt, and it has not worked yet. I need to get it from my daughter and try it again. I am unwilling to give up on it so quickly.
I have a Pug that has neurosis. Seriously. She spins when she hears certain noises and excessively licks. If I say "Stop" she will.......for a while. I also have a very yappy Papillon. The Thundershirt works for both of them. And usually, if it's going to work, you can tell right away. I may take a while for the Thundershirt to work completely but when I first put it on my Papillon, she visibly lowered her head and relaxed. It was instant and it was obvious.

Daoust_Not, it doesn't work for all dogs but for most. Be sure to put it on snuggly but not overly tight.

It works on the same theory that a hug (chest compression) can calm a person or an upset child.........works same for the dog. There is some physiological calming affect when a chest is compressed as in a hug.

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-5756/10-Reasons-Why-We-Need-at-Least-8-Hugs-a-Day.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hug_machine

I know it works for humans.

Old 07-05-2013, 06:14 PM   #9
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 503 Times on 278 Posts
Likes Given: 2243

Nice Dogs
Thanks for rescuing them.
Years ago had a Visila, really high strung
Had to take him to the Vets and get tranquilizer's for him well in advance of the 4th.
Now my dogs stay in the bedroom with the TV turned up LOUD.

Old 07-05-2013, 06:24 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1027 Times on 698 Posts
Likes Given: 551

I'm a big fan of fireworks myself but do people really need to set them off the day before and after the holiday? My dogs tend to bark every time a firework goes off. It gets old after 3 days. We do turn the TV up a little louder than normal on the evening of the main firework shows.

On another note we've given up on going out to see the firework as the traffic and crowds out here get so ridiculous.