Dog - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Dog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2012, 06:54 PM   #61
fmj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
people expect way more from you than a dog does, even family and friends. dogs require food, shelter and a little bit of love, and then they will never leave your side. dogs never nag at you about your bad habits, never complain you spent too much money on something, they never mention you put on few too many pounds or comment on your appearance!

when i get home frrom work late at night, my dogs always act like i've been gone for a month! they are all happy to see me.
They may not "nag" per se...but my lab has "that look" he gives me when i have had a few too many or have done some other silly thing i know is wrong but is a rare indulgence and you KNOW what hes thinking and IF he COULD say something....he would!!

I tell ya, that lab of mine is smarter than any human i have ever met...sometimes hes too smart for his own good!

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 01-27-2012, 06:58 PM   #62

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts

My dogs definitely like me better than my ol' lady...

image-1095452731.jpg  

Old 01-27-2012, 07:03 PM   #63

Liked 55 Times on 31 Posts

Im trying to find the story online but i remember watching the news while at my camp and they had a story on about a guy that was drinking heavily and was got the idea to guy hunting while it was snowing heavily. He wasnt able to find his keys anywere that night so he had to stay home. Later the next day at the end of his hill (the way he would have went) a car had crashed into the lake becuase the bridge going over was a thick un passable layer of ice. He was telling the news crew that he thought it was an act by god to save his life but after another day passed his dog was in the backyard whineing and when he went to check on him he saw the dog had just pooped out his keys. The dog ate the keys to keep him from going out and saved his life. Talk about taking one for the team!

Have Gun....Will Travel

Old 01-27-2012, 07:22 PM   #64

Liked 4998 Times on 2425 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Depends...

Which one licks more balls?

Old 01-27-2012, 07:24 PM   #65

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic82

That is cool..is it trained for that?...If so, I wonder how they are trained to do know and what exactly are the sensing.
Yes its by smell, like fmj said. This dog in particular has something like 30k dollars in training. They were on a waiting list for something like 5 years before getting the dog.

Interestingly, she was in and out of the hospital every other week before getting the dog. She's only been hospitalized once since then. They've had the dog for around 3 years I think.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:36 PM   #66
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I think maybe what turned me off on dogs was really due to a dumb chick i dated. I had just started seeing this girl in high school when she asked me to stop by and feed her dog while she vacationed with her family. It was fine the first day, but the second day her golden retriever was earning his name, "Dusty". The dog was dead in her back yard ! What to do?!? Of course, not wanting to disappoint chicky before home base was reached, i gave ole "Dusty" a decent burial in a secluded corner of the yard, and i went all over town looking for a similar dog to snatch as a replacement. That must've been the shortest dog of that breed EVAR! No dopplegangers to be found, even at the pound.

So I call to tell her when she gets home (pre-celly days) and chicky says something like "oh well, Dusty was old and sick and the vet had said he didn't have much time left". BITCH! You could tell somebody that before leaving them to feed your half-dead hound.

Chicky had awesome legs and a great butt though, joggers. Some things about the '80's weren't that bad. (jogger chicks, not this one; she was a bit dim)

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:58 PM   #67

Liked 749 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Yes its by smell, like fmj said. This dog in particular has something like 30k dollars in training. They were on a waiting list for something like 5 years before getting the dog.

Interestingly, she was in and out of the hospital every other week before getting the dog. She's only been hospitalized once since then. They've had the dog for around 3 years I think.
That's a great program, I looked it up http://www.guardianangelservicedogs.org/. If I were wealthy I'd make it my charity of choice..I may still send them a few bucks. Thanks for tuning me in.

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:40 AM   #68
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1753 Times on 1081 Posts
Likes Given: 9667

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
They may not "nag" per se...but my lab has "that look" he gives me when i have had a few too many or have done some other silly thing i know is wrong but is a rare indulgence and you KNOW what hes thinking and IF he COULD say something....he would!!

I tell ya, that lab of mine is smarter than any human i have ever met...sometimes hes too smart for his own good!

I know that feeling fmj.

The wife and I came home tonight to find our labs (Abby and Maya) laying of the floor passed out, and the LID chewed off the big glass peanut butter jar (left on the counter by daughter). The jar, which was almost full, had about 1 inch of peanut butter left in the bottom of it, and was laying between the two of them. Right now, we are trying to figure out if their tounnges wouldn't reach any futher into it, or they got full! "Too smart for their own good." That seems to br the case with every lab I ever had!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post

Trip. It's amazing what they can train dogs to do. One of the girls I went to HS with, and her family, train seeing eye dogs. When I used to breed labs and goldens, I would donate two dogs from each litter to the program. Until I read your earlier post, I did not know about the diabeties dogs. As a diabetic, I would like to find out more about them, and will be putting in some research time. Thank you for sharing this. I will be relaying this information to an ex-girlfriend who's son is going through a similar ordeal. He's been in Women and Childrens hospital in buffalo atleast 3 times a month for the last year due to his diabeties. Hopefully this option will help.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:15 AM   #69
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7792 Times on 4679 Posts
Likes Given: 9795

Dogs have also been trained to know when someone is going to have an epileptic seizure. And they can smell cancer on people.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:17 AM   #70

Liked 55 Times on 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change
Dogs have also been trained to know when someone is going to have an epileptic seizure. And they can smell cancer on people.
Thats awsome! All my dog can do is follow the cat around then eat its poo. Thats the shi tzu that my dad had to have. My 2 dogs are my best friends

Have Gun....Will Travel