Doesn't the Background Check "Register" my Firearm?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Doesn't the Background Check "Register" my Firearm?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2013, 06:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Doesn't the Background Check "Register" my Firearm?

I'm new to gun ownership and was wondering:

There is a lot of concern over being forced to register our firearms with the federal government, but isn't the firearm "registered" with the FBI during the instant baclground check?

I'm in Oregon and we fill out the background check form, which lists the firearms being purchased, takes our two thumb prints, and then the store runs it through the instant background check. I just assumed they input into that system the firearms that are being purchased, therefore "registering" them with the FBI's background check system.

Is that not the case?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-26-2013, 06:25 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3115 Times on 1790 Posts
Likes Given: 1326

I don't know about Oregon, but here in Florida the transaction comes down to "a long gun/handgun was purchased by this individual".
The 4473 stays with the LGS, and serial number of firearm is not known by FDLE or BATF.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-26-2013, 06:29 PM   #3
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7824 Times on 4697 Posts
Likes Given: 9854

I think when they do a background check it is sort of "registered" to you. But I was recently gifted a pistol from my Father. That one is not really "registered" to me. But I have a FOID card and I am legally able to own it.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:32 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

The Firearm Owners Protection Act prohibits the existence of a national registry. Background check information for all non-NFA firearms is temporary and cannot be kept on file indefinitely. Although, when purchasing a firearm using a background check, the buyers name is linked with the serial number of the firearm. That information is stored in the records of firearms dealers as required by the BATFE.

So, yes and no. The national registry kind of exists within the network of licensed dealers but is technically prohibited to be consolidated into one national registry.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-26-2013, 06:59 PM   #5
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22000 Times on 12404 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

firearms are not registered on a national level via a background check, but some states may have a state registry database. when the FFl does a background check through NCIS, all they do is confirm the applicant is eligible to own a firearm.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:14 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9573 Times on 4118 Posts
Likes Given: 1502

The NICS check gets your ID info, and rifle, shotgun or "other". No make, model, serial number. While that info IS recorded on the 4473, THAT form remains at the dealer.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:07 AM   #7

Liked 4545 Times on 2263 Posts
Likes Given: 1034

Yeah... until.....

red_dawn_obtainform4473.jpg  

Arbitrary enforcement of the law is the mark of tyranny. Citizens will always fight against it.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:19 AM   #8

Liked 4792 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

No the gun is not registered? But the gun owner is. They can get this info from the FFL. When a FFL closes down all these 4473 that are less than 20 years old go to the BATF. And then there is the all knowing Log In Book.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:06 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2996 Times on 1561 Posts
Likes Given: 279

ATF is prohibited from computerizing this data. The NICS check info is purged after (I believe) 72 hours. The 4473's from closed dealers that are sent to ATF are stored in boxes. A few years ago ATF started to enter them into a database. They got caught. Got their collective pee-pees whacked and ordered (by Congress) to delete the data.

Dealers are required top keep 4473's for AT LEAST 20 years. It is possible they could have 4473's dating back to 1968.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 01-27-2013, 06:25 PM   #10

Liked 170 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 20

The maintained 4473 is worthless, IMO, it tracks the weapon to the original buyer who could have since sold it. IMO, based on the number of gun purchases across the US in the past 20 years makes it almost impossible to solve a crime based on manufacturers/distributors shipment information and the 4473. What about the boxes of 4473's turned in when the FFLsurrenders his license and stored at the ATF storage facility. To locate an individual form would be time consuming, labor intensive and very costly. I am sure that a very small percentage of gun crimes are solved by the 4473, but does not justify the tons of paperwork generated.

US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
— Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by chuckusaret; 01-27-2013 at 06:28 PM.
axxe55 Likes This