Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Doesn't the Background Check "Register" my Firearm? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/doesnt-background-check-register-my-firearm-82515/)

poker99 01-26-2013 05:13 PM

Doesn't the Background Check "Register" my Firearm?

I'm new to gun ownership and was wondering:

There is a lot of concern over being forced to register our firearms with the federal government, but isn't the firearm "registered" with the FBI during the instant baclground check?

I'm in Oregon and we fill out the background check form, which lists the firearms being purchased, takes our two thumb prints, and then the store runs it through the instant background check. I just assumed they input into that system the firearms that are being purchased, therefore "registering" them with the FBI's background check system.

Is that not the case?

danf_fl 01-26-2013 05:25 PM

I don't know about Oregon, but here in Florida the transaction comes down to "a long gun/handgun was purchased by this individual".
The 4473 stays with the LGS, and serial number of firearm is not known by FDLE or BATF.

winds-of-change 01-26-2013 05:29 PM

I think when they do a background check it is sort of "registered" to you. But I was recently gifted a pistol from my Father. That one is not really "registered" to me. But I have a FOID card and I am legally able to own it.

Cattledog 01-26-2013 05:32 PM

The Firearm Owners Protection Act prohibits the existence of a national registry. Background check information for all non-NFA firearms is temporary and cannot be kept on file indefinitely. Although, when purchasing a firearm using a background check, the buyers name is linked with the serial number of the firearm. That information is stored in the records of firearms dealers as required by the BATFE.

So, yes and no. The national registry kind of exists within the network of licensed dealers but is technically prohibited to be consolidated into one national registry.

Axxe55 01-26-2013 05:59 PM

firearms are not registered on a national level via a background check, but some states may have a state registry database. when the FFl does a background check through NCIS, all they do is confirm the applicant is eligible to own a firearm.

c3shooter 01-27-2013 02:14 AM

The NICS check gets your ID info, and rifle, shotgun or "other". No make, model, serial number. While that info IS recorded on the 4473, THAT form remains at the dealer.

Mosin 01-27-2013 03:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yeah... until.....

nitestalker 01-27-2013 03:19 AM

No the gun is not registered? But the gun owner is. They can get this info from the FFL. When a FFL closes down all these 4473 that are less than 20 years old go to the BATF. And then there is the all knowing Log In Book.:eek:

robocop10mm 01-27-2013 04:06 PM

ATF is prohibited from computerizing this data. The NICS check info is purged after (I believe) 72 hours. The 4473's from closed dealers that are sent to ATF are stored in boxes. A few years ago ATF started to enter them into a database. They got caught. Got their collective pee-pees whacked and ordered (by Congress) to delete the data.

Dealers are required top keep 4473's for AT LEAST 20 years. It is possible they could have 4473's dating back to 1968.

chuckusaret 01-27-2013 05:25 PM

The maintained 4473 is worthless, IMO, it tracks the weapon to the original buyer who could have since sold it. IMO, based on the number of gun purchases across the US in the past 20 years makes it almost impossible to solve a crime based on manufacturers/distributors shipment information and the 4473. What about the boxes of 4473's turned in when the FFLsurrenders his license and stored at the ATF storage facility. To locate an individual form would be time consuming, labor intensive and very costly. I am sure that a very small percentage of gun crimes are solved by the 4473, but does not justify the tons of paperwork generated.