Does carrying a gun make me paranoid? - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Does carrying a gun make me paranoid?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 07:32 PM   #41
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6029 Times on 3160 Posts
Likes Given: 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeback_kid View Post
what would be some advice I could use to defend my position? I want to convince my dad that it's not paranoid and that it's not a bad idea, but when I do he just says "it's just what I believe, I don't want to discuss it"... Seriously? I thought my dad was more of a man than that. It's kind of disappointing.
dont be disapointed in your father. he just has a different moral compass than you do. your not going to convince him of anything and trying to do so will only drive a wedge between you and him.

consider this:

no one that has ever been involved in a incident that they needed deadly force to save their lives other than soldiers going into battle woke up that morning and KNEW they were going to have to use their gun in a few hours or be in a pine box in the ground.

if it was possible to to predict when a goblin will try to take your life then it WOULD be paranoid to carry a gun every day. so unless a hoplophobic person is a true psychic and can predict future events they should keep their opinions to themselves

waaaay back when i got my very first ccw license my dad asked me why i carried. my response was "the same reason you carry a spare tire and jack in your trunk, dad. never know when you need it." guns are just tools no different than a pocket knife or a tire iron

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-03-2012, 07:36 PM   #42

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
... he just says "it's just what I believe, I don't want to discuss it"... Seriously? I thought my dad was more of a man than that. It's kind of disappointing.
Imagine how he feels about you. Carrying a firearm does not “make you a man” and certainly doesn’t mean your father is less of a man for his desire not to carry. Paranoid? You have no idea what drives his decision but he has a great deal more life experience and his perspective on your world may certainly color that opinion. IMO you need to learn some respect for your elders before you pop off online. If my son wrote that I’d slap him down so hard that my grandkids would hurt.

The desire for, and exercising the privilege of, a CCW does not make someone paranoid, it is the crazy scenarios they concoct as the reasons to carry (and I have heard some doosies). The world can be violent dangerous place and there are very good reasons to carry and I fully support/endorse that right but there are also people who will never face danger in a way that requires deadly force.
The insurance argument is a bit weak because it is situational … people living in Kansas or Colorado do not need tsunami insurance so that coverage would be a hard sell.
Certainly nobody knows when and where trouble will strike but you can increase your situational awareness and limit the risk … I do not feel that I need to exercise my privilege every time I leave the house … it is called risk management.
If you feel you need to carry, go ahead but if you think someone who doesn’t carry isn’t scared enough … that makes me worry.

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Old 03-03-2012, 11:30 PM   #43

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

I have a gun for the same reason police officers do...because the bad guys have them. As far as risk management, to each their own. But it's no coincidence that the smallest, quietest, most peaceful towns in America have policemen. And they carry guns. If it was all about the likelihood of trouble, then they would be hard pressed to justify carrying a weapon. But then, it's not about the likelihood, is it? No, it's about preparedness. If you like to play the odds, great...but I PROMISE you, NOBODY leaves the house thinking that "today is the day somebody kills me in a robbery". Yet it happens. And you don't have to be in a "bad part of town" for it to happen either.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:38 PM   #44

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCH2FLY

Imagine how he feels about you. Carrying a firearm does not “make you a man” and certainly doesn’t mean your father is less of a man for his desire not to carry. Paranoid? You have no idea what drives his decision but he has a great deal more life experience and his perspective on your world may certainly color that opinion. IMO you need to learn some respect for your elders before you pop off online. If my son wrote that I’d slap him down so hard that my grandkids would hurt.
I think you misunderstood me. I was referring to my dad not being open to discussion, not his decision not to carry. Don't come to conclusions about how I respect my elders based on one post venting my frustration with my father not wanting to have a civilized discussion.

I'm not trying to convice him to carry, that's his decision and I can respect that. I just want to convince him that it is perfectly reasonable and not "paranoid" for someone to use their permit.

Last edited by comeback_kid; 03-05-2012 at 04:01 AM.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:13 PM   #45
I used to play keyboards, but now...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2394 Times on 1452 Posts
Likes Given: 2512

Quote:
I'm not trying to convice him to carry, that's his decision and I can respect that. I just want to convince him that it is perfectly reasonable and not "paranoid" for someone to use their permit.
Sounds like you believe "that it is perfectly reasonable". I happen to agree, which is totally irrelevant. Your dad does not agree, which is also irrelevant to whether you believe it's reasonable. Instead of trying to talk him into believing that it is reasonable, just go ahead and carry without making a big deal out of it with him. Your level-headed behavior, long term, will probably do more to convince him than your well-thought out explanations for your decision. Actions speak louder than words.

You might also try talking to him about the other thing that seems to bother you: his unwillingness to talk about the subject. "Dad, I noticed that when we started to talk about concealed carry you got pretty upset. Did something bad happen to you at work or something?" If he doesn't want to talk about it, respect that and let it be. You will have planted the seed. If he does decide to talk about it later, you'll be the one he calls. Until then, whatever experience he has had that causes him that much pain deserves your respect.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 5th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

Old 03-06-2012, 05:43 PM   #46

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I gotcha, that's what I plan on doing now... I was just a little taken aback and slightly offended when I made this post, he had a seemingly hostile tone regarding ALL people who use their cwps. It was surprising, and his unwillingness to even hear my defense was even more frustrating, but its all water under the bridge now. I take back what I said about the respect thing. Like you said, actions speak louder than words... The best thing I could do is not let it bother me and just set an example... That no, when I leave the house I don't fear for my life, and no, I don't have a cwp because I'm constantly afraid someone is going to kill me. In fact, its almost the opposite. I'm 19 now and I do not carry. (I have to wait until I turn 21 before I send my paperwork to SLED). Every day of my life except for when I'm hunting or Target shooting or in my home I do not have access to a gun. I have not once felt threatened when I am unarmed in public. Do I feel the NEED to have a cwp? Not really, but my philosophy is if I can do it legally then why not. There is a very slim chance it might save me or someone else one day. I don't go out looking for trouble or put myself in situations where I feel threatened, I don't leave the house every day fearing for my life. Thinking " I need a gun because something bad is going to happen". I just like everything about guns and if I can conceal them legally then that's just an added bonus in my opinion. Not really a "fear" based decision but a "sounds like a good idea" based decision. My question was stupid, some people who do carry are paranoid. I just wish I could show people (especially my father) that not all of us are like that at all