Does carrying a gun make me paranoid? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Does carrying a gun make me paranoid?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2012, 03:36 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I can give you several rebuttals to defend your position but know this, you will not change his mind with words, only actions.

Clint Smith quotes;

• "An armed man will kill an unarmed man with monotonous regularity."
  • "The best example of good training is to never get in a fight."
  • "You cannot save the planet. You may be able to save yourself and your family."
  • "You have the rest of your life to solve your problems. How long you live depends on how well you do it."
  • "...a carry gun should be comforting, not necessarily comfortable."

Jeff Cooper Quotes
  • "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
  • "Safety is nice, but it's not first. Life is first and life is not safe."
  • "One cannot legislate the maniacs off the street... these maniacs can only be shut down by an armed citizenry. Indeed bad things can happen in nations where the citizenry is armed, but not as bad as those which seem to be threatening our disarmed citizenry in this country at this time."
  • "The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory."
  • “Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands.”

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-25-2012, 04:43 PM   #22

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

It is only Paranoid if you worry about what other people say about you.

Old 02-25-2012, 05:13 PM   #23

Liked 226 Times on 141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTurf
Some people just think everyone who packs a gun has personal issues. I have a friend who has asked me more than once what I was afraid of because I took a handgun with me fishing, camping, hiking, etc.
Best answer I've heard to that question was "of having to use it"

Old 02-27-2012, 01:11 PM   #24

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the replies, good stuff

Old 02-27-2012, 01:22 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Does carrying a gun make me paranoid?
No! Only cautious, only practical; too much mine eyes hadth seen, too dang much for me ole memory! Ovey!

Old 02-27-2012, 05:07 PM   #26
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8261 Times on 4773 Posts
Likes Given: 10674

My relationship with my father did not get to the point where we could have that sort of conversation until I was in my thirties, married and after I had kids of my own. Since then however there is nothing that we will not discuss (and guns is one of many subjects we do discuss). My father is a retired teacher and marginally anti-gun. His views on gun ownership have changed over time, in large part due to our conversations. I would daresay that the same conversations would have had a different effect had they been when I was 19 instead of 30+.

On the other hand his reasons for not wanting to discuss it could probably have something to do with his uncertainty of his position on the subject. People on the fence are afraid of getting pushed off, and reluctant to get pushed off by a wet behind the ears kid (not that you are, but he may still see you that way). The best you can probably do would be to prove him wrong by your actions.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:16 PM   #27

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Since I carry a gun, I really have no reason to be paranoid.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:46 PM   #28

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstrong View Post
Best answer I've heard to that question was "of having to use it"
Thanks, and that is the answer I will give from now on.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:55 PM   #29

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I have carried a gun on my hip for so long that its second nature and a part of life now. I wouldnt say that it makes you paranoid, it make you more aware of your surroundings. Whenever im in town i evaluate everyone that is near me, i look at their posture, their demeaner, and the way that they act. That may seem paranoid to some people, but i call it awareness. If you stay aware of your surroundings, you are already ahead of the game if something is to happen.

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 02-27-2012, 06:07 PM   #30

Liked 4784 Times on 2313 Posts
Likes Given: 1474

Don't hold your dads feeling against him. My Dad was the best hunter and fisherman I ever knew and he NEVER owned a hangun until I got out of the Military and talked him into getting one.

He never did come around the being comfortable with them and even made a few comments about my CCW status despite me having 6 years of Infantry experience.

Last week my 19 year "who just moved out a month ago" shocked me at the dinner table by announcing he'd just bought his 1st HD gun, a Remi 870. Before realizing it, I began grilling him about his decision, in front of his girlfriend.

I later called him and appologized. C3 is absolutely right about the "powdered but syndrome". My dad could not take gun advice from a guy who'd put mor rounds downrange in 6 years than he bad in a lifetime because he had powered my but then I turn around and light up my son "in front of his date", (did I mention that part), because he made a decision without consulting his ALL KNOWING father...

I'm not sure what makes me prouder...him choosing a 12 g 870 for his first purchase OR his respect and restraint for not putting me in my place at the dinner table.

Tack