Does carrying a gun make me paranoid? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Does carrying a gun make me paranoid?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2012, 01:00 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1957 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Not one of us knows if something terrible is going to happen to us when we leave the house. If we did we'd stay the hell home that day... Not carrying guarantees you WILL be a victim should that awful situation ever arise.

"A citizen who shirks his obligation to contribute to the security of the community is little better than the crminal who threatens it" Can't remember who said that, heard it somewhere and it stuck with me...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 02-25-2012, 01:49 AM   #12

Liked 2397 Times on 1073 Posts
Likes Given: 2304

What do you have to be paranoid about you are armed. Ask your dad if owns a fire extinguisher?

Old 02-25-2012, 02:35 AM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8718 Times on 3773 Posts
Likes Given: 1341

I think we have pretty well settled that carrying a firearm and being paranoid are not the same thing (may overlap, but wearing jeans and paranoia ALSO overlap)

Now to the second issue- relations between you and yer Dad. Do not let this throw you. Your Dad has his life experiences and his reasons for doing things, just as you do.

As far as changing his mind- sorry, but you are bumping into the Powdered Butt Syndrome. A common human limitation on interpersonal relations, you will gain further experience in this as you get older.

What is PBS? The extreme difficulty may people have in accepting advice on sex, money, employment, and any other serious adult topic IF that advice comes from anyone whose butt you have ever powdered.

While it may not be voiced aloud, somewhere in the back of the mind is the thought-"Christ- what can he know? He is just a kid- I remember when we brought him home- I remember him having colic, drooling when he started teething, and running thru the house after he took his diaper off!"

Now, I have mellowed some- I have grandkids older than you- and I CAN relax when they are driving and I'm the passenger- when they are shooting on the lane next to me, etc. But it took a DEEP breath and time.

I know it is hard on you- its hard on him, too. It does get better. My Dad finally accepted that I was also an adult after he flew with me. (His fingerprints are still pressed into the metal frame of the seat)

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 02-25-2012, 02:40 AM   #14

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

I carry a 40 on my side, a 223 in my truck, a 45acp in my glove box, and a 870 12gauge in the rear window. My father asked me the other day what I was afraid of. I looked at him and said "nothing"..

Old 02-25-2012, 02:43 AM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2694 Times on 1408 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Warden, administrator, separated from the dirt. Many former "hands dirty" people forget what it is like.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 02-25-2012, 03:15 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm
Warden, administrator, separated from the dirt. Many former "hands dirty" people forget what it is like.
In my job I call it the difference between "boots" attitude and "wingtip" thinking.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (Who watches the watchers?) --"Satires", Juvenal (Roman poet)

Old 02-25-2012, 12:05 PM   #17

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
As far as changing his mind- sorry, but you are bumping into the Powdered Butt Syndrome.
I haven't heard that term in too many years to count, and I'm glad I wasn't drinking any coffee when reading it. But it is true and only a person's own experiences will be the driving force in their opinions and actions.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:31 PM   #18

Liked 409 Times on 255 Posts
Likes Given: 1169

like i always say only the paranoid survive.

No Bells.No Whistles.Just perfection.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:51 PM   #19
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2092 Times on 1137 Posts
Likes Given: 755

The odds of someone having a house fire are 1 in 309.7

The odds of someone being involved in a violent crime are 1 in 55.5

Ask your father if he thinks carrying fire insurance is paranoid.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 02-25-2012, 03:12 PM   #20

Liked 1807 Times on 1007 Posts
Likes Given: 1179

I believe that as long as a prison warden has a job...concealled carry is not paraniod. When they all get laid off do to lack of work, maybe then we can all put our guns away.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.