Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Does anybody ever feel bad when killing an animal?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2013, 01:14 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10
I personally do not hunt.

Sound of brakes locking up, and a loud bang, broke the silence about midnight some years back, outside my country home.

I go outside to see a large, almost moose size, male deer in the ditch. The vehicle drives off to get a rifle. I go get my Glock 20. As I come back outside, I see the deer limp off slowly into the woods.

I follow the deer. It had walked south some, paralleling the road 200 yards, and laid down by a tree. I approached the deer, and he raised his front up, without getting up. Sitting like a house dog on a favorite rug. I decided it was hurt bad, but sometimes, nature fixes its own problems. I holstered my Glock.

About then, four pickups pull up, and ten hunters get out with rifles.
I and the deer, hiding behind some trees, watch as these men with flashlights enter the woods.

I and the deer watch quietly as the men, first walk south 100 yards, then turn north. They walk 300 yards away, and return to the road, and drive away. This lasted the longest 20 minutes of my life.

The deer and I are very close, just feet apart. The deer stands up, looking down on me with huge eyes, and a massive rack. The look in his eye, was the look of a thank you, and he turned and walked out of the woods toward the east, and into a mature corn field and disappeared.
Beautiful story :') made me tear!

Old 09-30-2013, 01:30 PM   #22
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 870 Times on 578 Posts
Likes Given: 220

Quote:
Originally Posted by hq357 View Post
Beautiful story :') made me tear!
In the span of just a few moments, I knew what it was like being the hunter, and the hunted.

As those hunters approached, I felt it was I that was hunted as well. Frightening stuff, flashlights, and red and green lasers lightning up the woods. I remember telling the deer to be quiet and sit still. I was hoping the deer spoke human English. He must have. Lol

Looking back on what I did, hunters could have easily killed me, or the dear could have killed me, but I was not afraid for myself, only afraid for the deer.

Deer are a great danger to vehicles on the roads. Many people get killed or injured in dear strikes. I have hit deer, and my wife has hit them. She totaled a Seville hitting a deer. I have cattle bumpers on my truck. The street I live on, is the number one street in my state for deer accidents with vehicles.

Old 09-30-2013, 01:48 PM   #23

Liked 1115 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I live in western Pa now. Everybody hunts. Everybody except me. I used to hunt a little (duck, quail, deer) down in Texas when I was younger, mostly going with my father. I haven't hunted since he passed away some years ago. I don't have anything against hunting -- I realize it is a necessary conservation measure -- and I don't feel morally superior by eating supermarket meat. If I HAD to hunt I would and could, but not needing the meat I just don't feel right about killing an animal for sport. I'm not saying it's wrong, I just don't feel right about it these days. And if I believe it's not a good thing, then it'll just load me up with bad karma.

So . . . these days I shoot at targets, even if my neighbors do look at me suspiciously.

Old 09-30-2013, 03:19 PM   #24

Liked 101 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 146

When I was about 8or 9 our dog got hit by a car,actually we think it's neck got ran over.Anyway it was laying there suffering.Dad had me go in and get the .22 rifle and put him out of his misery. I felt bad because it was my pet but I also knew I was helping him. I started hunting when I was 13 and shooting wild game doesn't bother me at all.

NRA Member,NAHC life member,Indiana Rifle/Pistol Assoc. member

Old 09-30-2013, 03:31 PM   #25

Liked 1111 Times on 721 Posts
Likes Given: 1981

I dont feel bad shooting deer but I have been hunting for 29 years . I started deer hunting at age 12. , I use all the meat and only shoot what my family and I can eat over a years time . I give away the pelt and just throw away the bones . If I had someone that would take those I wouldnt have any waste . I dont care if it has big horns or not , They make real crappy tasting soup/stew anyway . I have more than shot my share of big horned deer but it was just by luck they happened to come by . Im not real game on buying beef from stores unless its from a a buddy of mine . All his cattle are corn fed and not injected with steriods ,etc. Damn good beef

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Last edited by purehavoc; 09-30-2013 at 03:38 PM.

Old 09-30-2013, 03:38 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 160 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 289

Default road kill

My ex-husband, who is now dead (not due to me), was very controlling and abusive.
He had to have all food cooked from scratch or he would beat the mess out of me.
I once ran over a rabbit, took it home, gut it, skinned it, and then made a dang good rabbit into ROAD KILL supper smothered in gravy. And better yet, he never knew it!

So, in answer to your question....
if it comes to survival .... no.

Teri LaFaye

"You can run like a girl cause I shoot like a man!" Teri LaFaye www.terilafaye.com

You Tube Teri LaFaye one handed shooting 500
www.youtube.com/user/sassyonyx

WebleyFosbery38 Likes This 
Old 09-30-2013, 03:44 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 160 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 289

Default The Dear Deer,

The Dear Deer

When I was about 12 my daddy took me deer hunting. He told me he was going to climb up the tree about 20 feet in the air and for me to stay at the bottom of the tree and be really, really quiet.

I was excited! First time he had let me go with him. I wasn't going to shoot. I was going to watch. So, here I was nestled up against the tree and I had to pee really bad. I was trying not to squirm, but it was mighty tough for me to be still.

All of the sudden I saw it! It was the biggest buck I have ever seen! He had ten points that I could count. I looked at that deer, and he looked back at me. I didn't dare move. I could feel my heart pounding in my chest like it was gonna come out of there banging! I looked up at Daddy and he was zeroing in on the deer. I closed my eyes, and when I reopened them that deer was still looking straight at me.

I looked at the deer, then back at Daddy, then back to the deer, and back to Daddy and then I did it!

I hollared out, "RUN DEER RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Daddy was fit to be tied! as he climbed down out of the tree.

Funny, he didn't stay mad long....we spent the rest of the day talking and walking. But after that....come deer season.....I was not invited to go.

Teri LaFaye

From my book called
TERI TALES
c2012

"You can run like a girl cause I shoot like a man!" Teri LaFaye www.terilafaye.com

You Tube Teri LaFaye one handed shooting 500
www.youtube.com/user/sassyonyx

People Like This 
Old 09-30-2013, 04:01 PM   #28
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 697 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 729

I did when I was a kid, but I've been taking game for so long now I only feel excitement any more.

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

Old 09-30-2013, 04:09 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1563 Times on 932 Posts
Likes Given: 778

Hunting is a NECESSARY part of game management! AND it is the best, healthiest meat you can eat. I don't live in the city but when I did (for a short time) I loved my elk, deer, and prairie goat meat!
I am a meat hunter, not a horn hunter!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

purehavoc Likes This 
Old 09-30-2013, 04:18 PM   #30

Liked 1057 Times on 728 Posts
Likes Given: 1071

Does anybody ever feel bad when killing an animal?

Always ! Why ? Because I have taken a LIFE..........But I use what I take & I DON`T take just because I can !...................

When all else fails.

purehavoc Likes This 
Closed Thread