Does anybody ever feel bad when killing an animal?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Does anybody ever feel bad when killing an animal?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2013, 10:39 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts

Default Does anybody ever feel bad when killing an animal?

When i was younger my cousin had tags to hunt elk and he killed one in a swamp, we were hi fiving and being happy and i sliced a piece of the elks ass cheek and kept the pelt to have memories of it. they gave me one of the back straps and we made stew out of it. i had a great time! Im older now and have 5 precious little dogs and LOVE animals cats, pigs, horses, cows, coyotes, deers, and everything! ive never been hunting on my own and never killed any animals id like to go hunting but i know id feel bad about it because i can just go to the store, but i do enjoy the outdoors and would love some venison steak with potatoes is it wrong to hunt animals if you live in the city and dont NEED to hunt?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-30-2013, 10:43 AM   #2

I killed a rabit once while i was young,marinated it and cooked it over a camp fire and it was delicious! im older now and respect animals and love them! ive gone soft when i saw a bunch of baby rabbits and the mama cuddling the babies it was cute So i kinda felt bad. I saw the movie bambi and felt bad about the elk

Old 09-30-2013, 10:52 AM   #3
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6940 Times on 3488 Posts
Likes Given: 7549

"is it wrong to hunt animals if you live in the city and dont NEED to hunt?" No its perfectly OK, gotta eat the meat though!

Old 09-30-2013, 10:56 AM   #4

Liked 418 Times on 227 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Doesn't worry me in the least but I do detest cruelty to animals.

The ability to think and speak doesn't necessarily guarantee intelligence

People Like This 
Old 09-30-2013, 11:07 AM   #5

Liked 1115 Times on 741 Posts
Likes Given: 737

I don't hunt, (not into blood & guts), but if you want to, go ahead. I think that a VERY small percentage of people who hunt actually NEED the food for survival. The Fish & Game puts limits on how many of what can be taken, ensuring their survival, and from what I understand, it can be healthy for a population to be thinned. (Hmmm, maybe we should be thinned? People cull, anyone?)

Now, the only beef I have with this is if you shot something for fun, and left it there, not cool. Or if you're an idiot, and you injure it, it gets away, and suffers. Not cool.

For me, there are some grey areas. Those wild pigs down south. I hear they shoot tons of them, not sure what they do with them. But I hear they're a menace, too, and there's WAY too many. Coyotes. I hear they get shot on sight. If you're a farmer, and they're killing your animals, ok. Some people will shoot them no matter what. Not cool. We have Coyotes here, and our neighbors have chickens. The Coyotes don't bother them, they're fenced in......

Old 09-30-2013, 11:07 AM   #6

http://youtu.be/JTZPMJj-X9M :'( nobody ever feels bad?

Old 09-30-2013, 11:37 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 149 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 142

I"d worry more if you didn't feel a twinge of regret when taking a life.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:40 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 560 Times on 371 Posts
Likes Given: 174

Yes that's why I stopped. If a had to eat yes as I don't I go to the shop.

Last edited by manta; 09-30-2013 at 12:24 PM.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:40 AM   #9
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6940 Times on 3488 Posts
Likes Given: 7549

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
I don't hunt, (not into blood & guts), but if you want to, go ahead. I think that a VERY small percentage of people who hunt actually NEED the food for survival. The Fish & Game puts limits on how many of what can be taken, ensuring their survival, and from what I understand, it can be healthy for a population to be thinned. (Hmmm, maybe we should be thinned? People cull, anyone?)

Now, the only beef I have with this is if you shot something for fun, and left it there, not cool. Or if you're an idiot, and you injure it, it gets away, and suffers. Not cool.

For me, there are some grey areas. Those wild pigs down south. I hear they shoot tons of them, not sure what they do with them. But I hear they're a menace, too, and there's WAY too many. Coyotes. I hear they get shot on sight. If you're a farmer, and they're killing your animals, ok. Some people will shoot them no matter what. Not cool. We have Coyotes here, and our neighbors have chickens. The Coyotes don't bother them, they're fenced in......
Anyone hunting animals should be a proficient shooter before they start, wounding is a no no even for trash animals! Shooting varmints is AOK, Ive tried eating a few but for the most part, killem and keep walking. Farmers killing varmints on their own land is perfectly OK, when you live off your land, you know good from bad better than anyone. You cant imagine what kind of trouble woodchucks and coyotes can cause on a farm.

Feral Swine are crossover varmints, they are pig afterall, dont leave them to rot, eat them, yum!
Old 09-30-2013, 11:49 AM   #10

Liked 2050 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 392

What is there to feel bad about? Taking game from the wild instead of factory slaughterhouse is more humane, a TON more friendly to the environment and also a great form of recreation/bonding time.

As was said, be proficient with your firearms, know the limitations and be as humane as possible. And don't waste!