Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Does anybody ever feel bad when killing an animal? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/does-anybody-ever-feel-bad-when-killing-animal-97931/)

hq357 09-30-2013 09:39 AM

Does anybody ever feel bad when killing an animal?

When i was younger my cousin had tags to hunt elk and he killed one in a swamp, we were hi fiving and being happy and i sliced a piece of the elks ass cheek and kept the pelt to have memories of it. they gave me one of the back straps and we made stew out of it. i had a great time! Im older now and have 5 precious little dogs and LOVE animals cats, pigs, horses, cows, coyotes, deers, and everything! ive never been hunting on my own and never killed any animals id like to go hunting but i know id feel bad about it because i can just go to the store, but i do enjoy the outdoors and would love some venison steak with potatoes is it wrong to hunt animals if you live in the city and dont NEED to hunt?

hq357 09-30-2013 09:43 AM

I killed a rabit once while i was young,marinated it and cooked it over a camp fire and it was delicious! im older now and respect animals and love them! ive gone soft when i saw a bunch of baby rabbits and the mama cuddling the babies it was cute So i kinda felt bad. I saw the movie bambi and felt bad about the elk

WebleyFosbery38 09-30-2013 09:52 AM

"is it wrong to hunt animals if you live in the city and dont NEED to hunt?" No its perfectly OK, gotta eat the meat though!

hairbear1 09-30-2013 09:56 AM

Doesn't worry me in the least but I do detest cruelty to animals.

clr8ter 09-30-2013 10:07 AM

I don't hunt, (not into blood & guts), but if you want to, go ahead. I think that a VERY small percentage of people who hunt actually NEED the food for survival. The Fish & Game puts limits on how many of what can be taken, ensuring their survival, and from what I understand, it can be healthy for a population to be thinned. (Hmmm, maybe we should be thinned? People cull, anyone?)

Now, the only beef I have with this is if you shot something for fun, and left it there, not cool. Or if you're an idiot, and you injure it, it gets away, and suffers. Not cool.

For me, there are some grey areas. Those wild pigs down south. I hear they shoot tons of them, not sure what they do with them. But I hear they're a menace, too, and there's WAY too many. Coyotes. I hear they get shot on sight. If you're a farmer, and they're killing your animals, ok. Some people will shoot them no matter what. Not cool. We have Coyotes here, and our neighbors have chickens. The Coyotes don't bother them, they're fenced in......

hq357 09-30-2013 10:07 AM

http://youtu.be/JTZPMJj-X9M :'( nobody ever feels bad?

jackrich3 09-30-2013 10:37 AM

I"d worry more if you didn't feel a twinge of regret when taking a life.

manta 09-30-2013 10:40 AM

Yes that's why I stopped. If a had to eat yes as I don't I go to the shop.

WebleyFosbery38 09-30-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clr8ter (Post 1388291)
I don't hunt, (not into blood & guts), but if you want to, go ahead. I think that a VERY small percentage of people who hunt actually NEED the food for survival. The Fish & Game puts limits on how many of what can be taken, ensuring their survival, and from what I understand, it can be healthy for a population to be thinned. (Hmmm, maybe we should be thinned? People cull, anyone?)

Now, the only beef I have with this is if you shot something for fun, and left it there, not cool. Or if you're an idiot, and you injure it, it gets away, and suffers. Not cool.

For me, there are some grey areas. Those wild pigs down south. I hear they shoot tons of them, not sure what they do with them. But I hear they're a menace, too, and there's WAY too many. Coyotes. I hear they get shot on sight. If you're a farmer, and they're killing your animals, ok. Some people will shoot them no matter what. Not cool. We have Coyotes here, and our neighbors have chickens. The Coyotes don't bother them, they're fenced in......

Anyone hunting animals should be a proficient shooter before they start, wounding is a no no even for trash animals! Shooting varmints is AOK, Ive tried eating a few but for the most part, killem and keep walking. Farmers killing varmints on their own land is perfectly OK, when you live off your land, you know good from bad better than anyone. You cant imagine what kind of trouble woodchucks and coyotes can cause on a farm.

Feral Swine are crossover varmints, they are pig afterall, dont leave them to rot, eat them, yum!

chloeshooter 09-30-2013 10:49 AM

What is there to feel bad about? Taking game from the wild instead of factory slaughterhouse is more humane, a TON more friendly to the environment and also a great form of recreation/bonding time.

As was said, be proficient with your firearms, know the limitations and be as humane as possible. And don't waste!