Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Dodge Dakota water pump swap (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/dodge-dakota-water-pump-swap-62488/)

dragunovsks 04-14-2012 01:02 AM

Dodge Dakota water pump swap

1 Attachment(s)
Not exactly what i wanted to do with my Saturday but ill be tearing into the water pump on one of my pickup trucks tomorrow. Its not completely out yet but its leaking and my heat is working intermittenly. Ive done it on a 97 dakota and an 88 F150 but its been a few years and i dont remember the others having threads on the front, see pic.

Attachment 43622

I remember the fan, fan belt, fan shroud has to come out as well as unhooking coolant hoses. Then remove pump, scrape off old gasket and reinstall. Am i forgeting abything? On my 88 F150 i had to remove the a/c pump because the bolt for it also held the water pump on but thats not the case on my dakota. But the radiator, upper coolant hose and fan shroud are a little different on this dakota (01 sport) than on my 97 SLT.

JonM 04-14-2012 01:40 AM

when you mix your coolant with water, unless you go straight coolant, using distilled water prevents scaling deposits

LONGHAIR 04-14-2012 01:49 AM

My brothers fuel-pump on his 2005 GMC truck just cost him $239.00..dollars...WOW.....My CJ-5 jeep is only $17.50......304 motor......

rjd3282 04-14-2012 02:05 AM

Never use straight coolant. Always use a 50/50 mix. Coolant was not designed to be used undiluted. Loosen the big nut on the fan before you remove the belts it will be easier.

subie-jeep 04-14-2012 03:02 AM

the threads on the front are for a mechanical fan,there should also be one without the threads if you have electric fans.not sure if there is a difference other than the pulleys but you might want to be sure you have the right one before getting started.since you will be draining all the coolant out i would do a thermostat at the same time.takes an extra 10 minuets max , and cost ~$8.

if you have the 318 (5.2l) its all fairly easy,my jeep has the same motor.

dragunovsks 04-14-2012 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subie-jeep
the threads on the front are for a mechanical fan,there should also be one without the threads if you have electric fans.not sure if there is a difference other than the pulleys but you might want to be sure you have the right one before getting started.since you will be draining all the coolant out i would do a thermostat at the same time.takes an extra 10 minuets max , and cost ~$8.

if you have the 318 (5.2l) its all fairly easy,my jeep has the same motor.

Thanx, cant remember what my other dakota had but i dont remember threads, probably just my bad memory though. It has the 3.9 litre v-6 btw.

Im gonna start taking it apart tomorrow morning either way, if i got the wrong one ill just take my other truck to town to get the right one