Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Do you shoot both Left and Right handed?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2009, 11:41 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2056 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Default Do you shoot both Left and Right handed?

Do you shoot both Left and Right handed?

While many people tend to only practious their shooting with there dominate hand, I practious with both. I believe that a person should be as good with one hand as the other; it is both practical and efficient. One can never know if your good arm/hand will be usable in times of emergencies or not.

I have shot both handguns and rifles ambidextrous for many years and sometimes think I shoot better with my off hand.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-15-2009, 12:31 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

My dad does. He's right handed but prefers shooting left handed but can do both. I've recently started practicing with both hands and my left hand is slowly coming around.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 02-15-2009, 01:03 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I do. When I practice shooting behind cover , I switch to my left hand if ,a the wall for example,is on my right,so I expose my body less than if i shoot with my right hand . Good exercise.

Old 02-15-2009, 01:57 PM   #4

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcolg View Post
I do. When I practice shooting behind cover , I switch to my left hand if ,a the wall for example,is on my right,so I expose my body less than if i shoot with my right hand . Good exercise.
I do, but I have to use sights with my weak hand.

Old 02-15-2009, 03:13 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Opaww is completely right. I is a valuable exercise to continuously practice with both. I CAN shoot with both, but I am unable to bend my index finger at the top joint of my off hand. I can still shoot with it, but it's extremely difficult.

Old 02-15-2009, 03:53 PM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I don't practice with my off hand when I shoot my rifles. My thought is, if I am behind the scope on one of my boltguns, you probably aren't going to have a chance to wing me before I drop 168 plus grains on you.

Now, with my pistols, that is another story. I frequently practice with a two hand and a single hand hold with my off hand. In a pistol fight, it's much more likely that both participants are going to get hit - I just want to make sure I am not hit last.

I would recommend that everyone practice shooting off hand, especially with a one hand grip, with your strong arm tucked into your side, like you been hit.

It's a skill you should develop and hope you never have you use.

JD

Old 02-15-2009, 04:06 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'm left handed, but for some reason my school teachers made me write with my right hand. I also spent a lot of time with my grandfather, who thought left handed people were the anitchrist, so he tried his best to fix me.

At first I was a bit confused and not that good at anything with either hand, but now I'm fully ambidextrous. There are lot's of little exercises that you can do everyday to train your weak hand. Simple things, like switching the hand you use on your computer mouse (especially effective if you play games!).

There are still things that I do better with one hand than with the other, for example I tend to use a lefty stance for boxing or MMA (and my grapling techniques are better when the left hand "leads"), but I shoot better with my right hand.

Trust me, if you start doing things that you usually do with your strong hand with your weak one, you'll soon notice a huge improvement. Some people find it easier than others (it took me a few years to be fully ambidextrous, but I've got the worse hand to eye coordination in the Universe).

Old 02-15-2009, 04:26 PM   #8

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Being left handed and nearly legally blind in my left eye (thanks heridity), I have always shot long guns right handed. The right eye is still 20-10 . Help is baseball, but not much else. Pistols, I can shoot either handed. I think lefties have an easier time, because they are forced to use their right hand more than righties have to use their left hands every day. Think about it, to drive and shift gears, gotta use the right hand. It is a right handed world.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 02-15-2009, 05:35 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm right handed but am left-eye dominant.

My brother is left handed but right-eye dominant.

Who the hell pissed in my gene pool?!?!

I practice one and two handed with my strong side, but haven't tried much with the weak side. Was thinking of heading up to the range in a few minutes. Guess I'll give it a try.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:19 PM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Yes, I do. When I qualify every year, part of our course of fire is firing from 7 yards with the weak hand (my left). much easier than I thought it would be.

"Tolerance is the Virtue of a man without Convictions" G. K. Chesterton

ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

Considering the fact that the victim is the first one at the scene of a violent crime, I believe all law abiding citizens should be armed.

"Fast is fine, Accurate is final." - Wyatt Earp