Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Do you shoot both Left and Right handed? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/do-you-shoot-both-left-right-handed-10923/)

opaww 02-15-2009 11:41 AM

Do you shoot both Left and Right handed?

Do you shoot both Left and Right handed?

While many people tend to only practious their shooting with there dominate hand, I practious with both. I believe that a person should be as good with one hand as the other; it is both practical and efficient. One can never know if your good arm/hand will be usable in times of emergencies or not.

I have shot both handguns and rifles ambidextrous for many years and sometimes think I shoot better with my off hand.

spittinfire 02-15-2009 12:31 PM

My dad does. He's right handed but prefers shooting left handed but can do both. I've recently started practicing with both hands and my left hand is slowly coming around.

kcolg 02-15-2009 01:03 PM

I do. When I practice shooting behind cover , I switch to my left hand if ,a the wall for example,is on my right,so I expose my body less than if i shoot with my right hand . Good exercise.

gorknoids 02-15-2009 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcolg (Post 71510)
I do. When I practice shooting behind cover , I switch to my left hand if ,a the wall for example,is on my right,so I expose my body less than if i shoot with my right hand . Good exercise.

I do, but I have to use sights with my weak hand. :D

user4 02-15-2009 03:13 PM

Opaww is completely right. I is a valuable exercise to continuously practice with both. I CAN shoot with both, but I am unable to bend my index finger at the top joint of my off hand. I can still shoot with it, but it's extremely difficult.

Dillinger 02-15-2009 03:53 PM

I don't practice with my off hand when I shoot my rifles. My thought is, if I am behind the scope on one of my boltguns, you probably aren't going to have a chance to wing me before I drop 168 plus grains on you. :D

Now, with my pistols, that is another story. I frequently practice with a two hand and a single hand hold with my off hand. In a pistol fight, it's much more likely that both participants are going to get hit - I just want to make sure I am not hit last. ;)

I would recommend that everyone practice shooting off hand, especially with a one hand grip, with your strong arm tucked into your side, like you been hit.

It's a skill you should develop and hope you never have you use.

JD

Franciscomv 02-15-2009 04:06 PM

I'm left handed, but for some reason my school teachers made me write with my right hand. I also spent a lot of time with my grandfather, who thought left handed people were the anitchrist, so he tried his best to fix me. :)

At first I was a bit confused and not that good at anything with either hand, but now I'm fully ambidextrous. There are lot's of little exercises that you can do everyday to train your weak hand. Simple things, like switching the hand you use on your computer mouse (especially effective if you play games!).

There are still things that I do better with one hand than with the other, for example I tend to use a lefty stance for boxing or MMA (and my grapling techniques are better when the left hand "leads"), but I shoot better with my right hand.

Trust me, if you start doing things that you usually do with your strong hand with your weak one, you'll soon notice a huge improvement. Some people find it easier than others (it took me a few years to be fully ambidextrous, but I've got the worse hand to eye coordination in the Universe).

skullcrusher 02-15-2009 04:26 PM

Being left handed and nearly legally blind in my left eye (thanks heridity), I have always shot long guns right handed. The right eye is still 20-10 :). Help is baseball, but not much else. Pistols, I can shoot either handed. I think lefties have an easier time, because they are forced to use their right hand more than righties have to use their left hands every day. Think about it, to drive and shift gears, gotta use the right hand. It is a right handed world.

falseharmonix 02-15-2009 05:35 PM

I'm right handed but am left-eye dominant.

My brother is left handed but right-eye dominant.

Who the hell pissed in my gene pool?!?!

I practice one and two handed with my strong side, but haven't tried much with the weak side. Was thinking of heading up to the range in a few minutes. Guess I'll give it a try.

chopkick 02-15-2009 07:19 PM

Yes, I do. When I qualify every year, part of our course of fire is firing from 7 yards with the weak hand (my left). much easier than I thought it would be.