Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Do you insure your firearms--if so-separately?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2008, 01:21 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Thanks a bunch

I will probably move all my policies (I prefer to keep everything together--its easy and usually results in a multi line discount).

The initial CSR I spoke to went round with me, and simply could NOT understand why this was such an important issue to me. She was polite, but freely admitted that she was unclear why this was such a problem.

I have to admit, even when working through the food chain of people who clearly could not give me a really good answer as to why they require the numbers, they were all at least professional and respectful.

However, this does not change the situation that they are adament about requiring numbers, and I am adament in my refusal to provide them.....

Thanks again, I am going to go make some calls.....

Oh, and when I explained I would be moving everything, they were surprised, because in all likelyhood, I won't find rates as good as what I am getting now (I have done some random comparisons in the past, and this is true), and yet I would still move my policies over this issue.

I explained that I was willing to pay more for something this important. Just like I am willing to pay a little more for products & services from companies that employ Americans. Its a matter of principal.

I dont want to move from this company, but feel I am correct in my position about who exactly I give my serial numbers to--much like I don't freely hand out my ssn either......

sigh, nothing is easy anymore.

Old 09-06-2008, 02:12 AM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I opted not to go with my homeowner's carrier and insure my firearms and (200+ piece) bayonet collection with Collectibles Insurance Agency http://www.collectinsure.com/index.html.

They have been around for many years and have a good reputation in the collecting community. You have to tell them what firearms you are insuring and what you value each one at. However, no serial number reporting, except on single firearms valued in excess of $5,000.

For me, one concern with the homeowner's policies is that employees and contractors in the local broker's office potentially have access to information that you have guns. Honestly, I'm waaay more concerned about a local taking my guns than I am the government. Another concern is that, if I have a firearms loss, the homeowner's carrier will raise my entire policy rate, not just the premium for firearms coverage. Collectibles Insurance Agency is cheaper than most homeowner's carriers and also provides coverage at almost any location (at shows, in the car, in transit to a buyer, new gun in transit from a seller, etc.).

Generally, I would say go with your homeowner's policy if the amount of coverage doesn't require a firearms rider (most carriers will let you cover up to $5,000 without a special firearms rider). If you are a serious collector or otherwise need a substantial amount of coverage, go with a separate policy from an insurer that specializes in insuring collectibles.

Follow us on Facebook! facebook.com/worldbayonets

The bayonet cannot be abolished for the reason, if for no other, that it is the sole and exclusive embodiment of that willpower which, alone, both in war and everyday life, attains its object.—General M. I. Dragomirov

Old 09-06-2008, 01:22 PM   #13

Thanks for this great info

Yes, I do have concerns about who knows I have guns, but since I dont have a local agent, its less of a worry. The home office is in TX and I am in New England.

Although, that does not mean I am absolutely protected. However, anyone that can make it past the dragon dogs (my massive 100+ lb hounds that go insane if anyone even comes near the house), and the 6'5 husband and then into the 700lb fireproof safe---well then they can have them

I will try this collectors insurance for a quote though.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:41 PM   #14
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 12

As I had mentioned earlier, I didn't have to provide photos OR serial numbers to my Agent, just an "estimated" net value. If I had to provide that info, I would have walked away.