Do you insure your firearms--if so-separately?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Do you insure your firearms--if so-separately?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2008, 05:06 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Do you insure your firearms--if so-separately?

Does anyone here insure their firearms, and if so, is it a separate policy for scheduled items (IE--a policy just for those guns)?

If you do, what company do you use, and what did they require you to provide? (IE serial #s?).

Does anyone just note coverage on their homeowners by declaring the guns?

Good pricing and coverage?

Anyone use the NRA coverage?

Does anyone know of a good certified appraiser?

yes--I'm looking And no, I don;t have those 6 figure guns either hahaha.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-03-2008, 05:52 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

It's included as part of the Home Owners Policy... I just keep serial numbers and photos in a safe place.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:12 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8893 Times on 3851 Posts
Likes Given: 1393

NRA members automatically get $1000 coverage at no charge. MOST homeowner's polcies will provide a limited dollar amount of coverage- see your policy. I have a floater above that- no SNs or listing required.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:16 PM   #4
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
It's included as part of the Home Owners Policy... I just keep serial numbers and photos in a safe place.
That's what I do, too. Is it generally considered smart to provide your insurance company with photos and serial numbers?

Old 09-03-2008, 11:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
That's what I do, too. Is it generally considered smart to provide your insurance company with photos and serial numbers?
This is one of the reasons I ask. The NRA policy does not require serial #s(the separate personal articles floater they offer through an insurance company at discounted rates for members--not to be confused with their 1,000 coverage that comes with membership).

Now, as a matter of course, insurance companies do not release sensitive info like this to others.........however...they are subject to government intrusion. For example, if the dept of insurance asks for documents, an insurance company must provide them. It is not inconceivable that down the road (especially if we get the Obama ticket in office) that a federal agency might decide they need to have access to this info. Therefore I am not keen on providing the info--unless I actually have a claim. Photos are okay--numbers I do not feel comfortable with. Not that I have anything to hide--but history shows us that gun registration makes it awfully easy for local zealots to find and seize your firearms.

Don't believe it? Lets think Hurricane Katrina aftermath when law abiding gunowners were subject to warrantless seizure of their firearms.

But, I digress.

I am curious to know if anyone insures separately and if so, with which company??

Old 09-04-2008, 01:08 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8893 Times on 3851 Posts
Likes Given: 1393

In GENERAL (your mileage may vary) an insurance company will NOT be seeking serial numbers or photos UNLESS (a) you have a loss, and are filing a claim- your policy requires you to provide PROOF that you DID own such a thing- receipts, photos, etc, or (b) You are SCHEDULING a particular gun on a floater. Normally reserved for a VERY high dollar item. Your Winchester Mdl 70 probably would not be scheduled, but a custom built Holland & Holland .600 Nitro Express WOULD be specifically insured (had a friend that owned a drilling that was documented to have been owned by the Red Baron- that kind of gun gets its own insurance policy) And remember theft is not the only hazard- fire, water damage, etc all affect guns.

I work for an insurance company, but don't sell insurance, and don't work in personal lines (homeowner's insurance, etc) Your BEST bet is to call and talk with your insurance agent. Very few insurance carriers will be seeking photos, serial numbers, etc on run-of-the-mill guns, but likely will have dollar limits on what they cover- just like there are dollar limits on jewelry. Find out what you have coverage for, and what is available- at what price.

AND- go take photos of the interior of your home- at least 2 pics of each room (opposite corners). Take pics of guns, special jewelry, etc. Get two sets of prints. AND THEN PUT THE SECOND SET OF PICTURES SOMEWHERE OTHER THAN IN YOUR HOUSE. Keep them in an envelope in your desk at work. Or send them to Mom & Dad or Junior to keep at their house (and offer to do the same for them) In 1989, we had a homeowner's loss- tornado tossed a 115 ft red oak all the way thru our house. You would not believe how hard it is to find a sofa in a jumbled mess like that- much less a jewelry box. We had mahagony furniture we had bought 20 years prior- receipts LONG gone- but we had pictures. All we needed.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:00 PM   #7

C3, who is your insurance company?

I was recently quoted by my insurance company, and have spent the last two days arguing with them--they require serial numbers. Its company policy.

Given that we could have a seriously anti gun crowd being elected this year, I am reluctant to share this info for obvious reasons. My guns are legal and have been entered into the system needed. However I do not see the reason the insurance company would need the numbers up front. They gave me weak reasons--like they would need the numbers just in case there is a claim. I told them I keep the numbers secure in multiple places (including a safe deposit) and I would be happy to provide them at the time of any claim. They were not wiling to budge and demanded the serials up front "for identification purposes".

I am disappointed, up until now I have been very happy with my carrier.

So, I am now shopping around.

As far as the homeowners coverage, there are limits to the policy--a specific total dollar amount (which is not very high I might add).

Old 09-05-2008, 11:53 AM   #8
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
I didn't provide anything to my Insurance Co. regarding my guns. The photos & serial numbers are for my personal proof of ownership if ever needed. I have a $15,000.00 policy on my guns. It costs about 10 dollars a year.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:47 PM   #9

what company? I would like to get some quotes.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:00 PM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musket View Post
what company? I would like to get some quotes.
Farmers Insurance.