Do you have a favorite Jeff Cooper quote?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Do you have a favorite Jeff Cooper quote?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2009, 11:21 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Do you have a favorite Jeff Cooper quote?

Marine Lieutenant Colonel Jeff Cooper is one of the legends.... What is your favorite Jeff Cooper quote? I'll start off with some of mine:

“Remember the first rule of gunfighting... "have a gun."”

“Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands.”

Here's a pic of Col. Cooper:

cooper-crime.jpg  

Gun Control: Use Both Hands....

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-30-2009, 11:30 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Best Jeff Cooper quote EVA!!

The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair.” — Col. Jeff Cooper

Old 10-01-2009, 12:34 AM   #3

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

I like this one:

cooperism.jpg  

Old 10-01-2009, 12:43 AM   #4

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

"The purpose of the pistol is to stop a fight that somebody else has started, almost always at very short range." – Col Jeff Cooper

“The will to survive is not as important as the will to prevail.....the answer to criminal aggression is retaliation.” – Col Jeff Cooper

Both speak volumes.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 10-01-2009, 01:00 AM   #5

The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory.
Jeff Cooper

Old 10-01-2009, 10:49 AM   #6
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

“One cannot legislate the maniacs off the street... these maniacs can only be shut down by an armed citizenry. Indeed bad things can happen in nations where the citizenry is armed, but not as bad as those which seem to be threatening our disarmed citizenry in this country at this time.”

"All the people constitute the militia — according to the Founding Fathers. Therefore every able-bodied man has a duty under the Constitution to become part of the "well-regulated" militia, specifically to understand and perform well with the individual weapon currently issued to the regular establishment. . . . Thus one who has not qualified himself with the M-16 may not be considered to be a responsible citizen."

Old 05-24-2011, 07:27 PM   #7

Liked 1423 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

The will to survive is not as important as the will to prevail... the answer to criminal aggression is retaliation.

Jeff Cooper

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-24-2011, 07:50 PM   #8

"Weapons compound man's power to achieve; they amplify the capabilities of both the good man and the bad, and to exactly the same degree, having no will of their own. Thus we must regard them as servants, not masters - and good servants to good men. Without them, man is diminished, and his opportunities to fulfill his destiny are lessened. An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
— Col. Jeff Cooper

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

- orangello

Old 05-24-2011, 07:59 PM   #9

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

These are awesome!

Old 05-24-2011, 08:13 PM   #10

“It has never been clear to me why increased magazine capacity in a defensive pistol is particularly choice. The bigger the magazine the bigger the gun, and the bigger the gun the harder it is to get hold of for people with small hands. And what, pray, does one need all those rounds for? How many lethal antagonists do you think you are going to be able to handle? Once when Bruce Nelson was asked by a suspect if the thirteen-round magazine in the P35 was not a big advantage, Bruce's answer was, "Well, yes, if you plan to miss a lot." The highest score I know of at this time achieved by one man against a group of armed adversaries was recorded in (of all places) the Ivory Coast! There, some years ago, a graduate student of mine laid out five goblins, with four dead and one totaled for the hospital. Of course there is the episode of Alvin York and his eight, but there is some dispute about that tale. (If you read it over very carefully you will see what I mean.) Be that as it may, I see no real need for a double column magazine. - JC

- orangello