Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Do You Ever Put Your Gun Away...DIRTY....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2011, 06:25 PM   #31
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
Anybody here put there guns away Dirty...I clean mine after every shooting...My Friend says you don't have to clean your gun every time you shoot-it...I'm still going to clean mine,but whats your take on leaving them Dirty for a couple of shooting before you clean them ???.........
All the time. I clean them when they are dirty or quit functioning properly.

Old 11-26-2011, 06:51 PM   #32

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutz47

Ah hah. Thank you. Does fouling mean dirty? As in a dirty barrel can be more accurate?
I was told in the Marines, clean your rifle the same way every time you qualify. If you clean before you shoot, then always clean before you shoot. If you clean between stages of fire, then always clean between stages of fire.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:18 PM   #33
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19961 Times on 11347 Posts
Likes Given: 50323

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I was told in the Marines, clean your rifle the same way every time you qualify. If you clean before you shoot, then always clean before you shoot. If you clean between stages of fire, then always clean between stages of fire.
i second that! i have always been very keen on cleaning and preventive maintenance. not just my guns but everything. my riding mower is over 17 years old and still going strong! even it lays down next week or month, i believe i got my money's worth out of it.

Old 11-27-2011, 02:56 AM   #34

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Do You Ever Put Your Gun Away...DIRTY....

Sometimes yes, but the outer surfaces always get a wipe down with CLP.

The fussy benchresters I know allow their barrels to cool between shots and they clean their bores between groups. Some will also fire a *fouling shot* into the berm when they are starting with a spankin' clean bore before they fire a group for record.

Be Well.

Last edited by neilage66; 11-27-2011 at 02:58 AM.

Old 11-27-2011, 03:05 AM   #35

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutz47 View Post
I clean my guns everytime after shooting. Hell, sometimes I clean them again just for the hell of it when I'm bored. I practice putting them back together and loading them as fast as I can.
hell, it's yours clean it as fast and as often as you lilke..............

Rigjumpr
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Handgun Instructor,
Owner Operator- DefenderTX Concealed Handgun training
“American by birth Texan by the grace of God”
“Molon labe”
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151001455519?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1555.l2649

Old 11-27-2011, 06:11 PM   #36

Liked 116 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 231

I just shot my Ruger .380 LCP off the back-porch and I can't help but clean-it..I guess old habits are hard to change,was going to leave-it dirty,but I just can't do-it...Cleaning-it right-now...Some of you guys said no big deal leaving it dirty,just can't see-it.................

Old 11-27-2011, 06:40 PM   #37

I have friends that own expensive firearms both long guns and side arms. My point is this, these mates treat their weapons like ****! My way of thinking is I have respect for the weapon and care to its needs accordingly. I clean and examine it on a regular schedule regardless if it is dirty or not. Must have got that from my old man who was an expert marksman both with long guns and side arms, though he loved his side arms.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:53 PM   #38
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19961 Times on 11347 Posts
Likes Given: 50323

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilage66 View Post
Sometimes yes, but the outer surfaces always get a wipe down with CLP.

The fussy benchresters I know allow their barrels to cool between shots and they clean their bores between groups. Some will also fire a *fouling shot* into the berm when they are starting with a spankin' clean bore before they fire a group for record.
i have heard about and read about a "fouling shot" before too, but i think that's a little different than cleaning afterwards when finished shooting.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:12 AM   #39

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Although I am fairly fanatical about keeping my arms clean and in shape I admit that at times I just do not have the time to do a proper cleaning and lube.
I do not head out to the range with a firearm that is not maintained. But I know that most of my guns will perform properly without the extra attention.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:07 AM   #40

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
The operative theory is that a clean barrel shot will have a different point of impact than a barrel that has been fouled.
I won't get into the rights & wrongs of it, suffice it to say that there can be a noticeable difference. Different rifles will be affected to different degrees.
I have found specific loads to make the difference. The last load developed in my Howa has no deviation, whereas the load developed prior had a 1.5moa deviation. I've found the same holds true with other rifles I've load developed for.