Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Do gun stores not like younger people

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 06:28 PM   #81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 746 Times on 450 Posts
Likes Given: 402

OP- if you are in the market to but go to Cross Creek Sporting goods. It is in the middle of no where but Wade is a good guy and they will help you. You may have to wait a bit as the are often busy but friendly. They also encourage window shopping.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:13 PM   #82

Liked 860 Times on 573 Posts
Likes Given: 523

Quote:
A lot of good advice here. My father-in-law was in Sears or JC Penny once with an armful of stuff waiting at the counter. And waiting. He's not a patient man. Finally he pulled the money out of his wallet and yelled "I got $500 in cash to spend in this damn store. Anybody gonna take it from me!?" Clerk finally came up to the counter and he said "Too ***king late." Left all of the crap on the counter and walked out. Found the store manager to let him know, then went somewhere else to get his clothes.
That's hilarious!

Quote:
Punctuation.

The difference in helping your uncle jack, off his horse.

To helping your uncle jack off his horse.
Even FUNNIER!! BTW, you forgot to capitalize Uncle Jack......

Old 07-12-2013, 09:28 PM   #83

Liked 276 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater
Punctuation.

The difference in helping your uncle jack, off his horse.

To helping your uncle jack off his horse.

Lmao
Or "knowing your sh*t"
And "knowing you're sh*t!"
Well, that's more of grammar, but close enough.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:36 PM   #84

Liked 81 Times on 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonSCJ
Ha, our most "respected" local gun shop, Grady's Great Outdoors, is known around town as "Greedy's Great Outdoors" because if you go in to buy a gun and aren't wearing a suit and tie or look like you have billions to spend, you're probably gonna have to use a gun to get some help. Our Ace Hardware that sells guns is a bunch of old fogies that hate anyone under the age of 40. The big retailers like Academy or Dicks, they're all just brain dead.

To the OP:
Wait till you run in to a cop while carrying. To answer your question, no gun shops don't hate young people...when it comes to guns, EVERYONE hates young people. Just as black people often use the reference DWB (driving while black), I think I'm gonna start referring to myself as CWY (carrying while young).
Haha you could not have said it any better. Grady's is terrible I expect it to go out of business. The ace though Is pretty great besides being grouchy old men. But they still have great deals and lay away

Old 07-12-2013, 10:29 PM   #85

Liked 2371 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter

That's hilarious!

Even FUNNIER!! BTW, you forgot to capitalize Uncle Jack......
Ya got me! Gotta be smarter than the phone. Most days I fail, miserably at that. Oh well.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:09 PM   #86
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3721 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Everyone in here has some great points and advice.

I guess either I sub-consciously did something right from the beginning, or I'm blessed with a good group of people at the LGS near me. Ma and Pa operation. I dont really get treated like garbage. The owners and some of the employees know me by sight, possibly by name as I've bought two guns from them and I come in to shoot fairly often. However, some of the new guys aren't so great. They're perfectly respectful, just not as knowledgable.

The worst for me was when I asked one of them if they get EMPs in .40 in fairly often (I was new to the area at the time so wasn't yet a regular). This was while I was loading the 9mm version. He told me Springfield doesn't make an EMP in .40. I asked him if he was sure. He was confident about it. I happened to know it wasn't true as I had done a lot of research on the exact gun. I politely it my tongue, though, because I was new in the shop. Come to think of it, I haven't seen that particular employee in there since the incident. That was over a year ago.

Always have clean socks.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:01 AM   #87
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1284 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 596

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
Everyone in here has some great points and advice.

I guess either I sub-consciously did something right from the beginning, or I'm blessed with a good group of people at the LGS near me. Ma and Pa operation. I dont really get treated like garbage. <snip>
Some stores are just that good! Respectful of everyone, no prejudice or chauvinism, no BS when they don't know the answer and knowledgable staff. However, most seem to fall below this standard for one reason or another.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 07-13-2013, 12:41 AM   #88

Liked 4585 Times on 2218 Posts
Likes Given: 1382

Depend upon your attitude and the way you carry yourself. IMHO this is far more important than age.

Joined my gun club two years ago at the tender age of 39... our average members age is 60 but I fit right in. Partly because I do k ow what doing but mainly because I make a habit of referring to anyone older than me as Sir.

I've also always done this in Gun Stores as well and never felt ignored or disrespected.

Give it a shot... as a young man you may be surprised by the difference in service.

Tack

Old 07-13-2013, 02:11 PM   #89
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2010 Times on 1092 Posts
Likes Given: 724

If there is anything this thread has proven, it is that the gun retail industry has a very big customer service problem. Many great companies have been built simply on great customer service alone. There's a big hole in the marketplace waiting for someone to occupy it.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA
People Like This 
Old 07-13-2013, 02:29 PM   #90

Liked 860 Times on 573 Posts
Likes Given: 523

^^^ +10. Although, IMO, it's not just the gun industry. It's everybody. I for one, will go out of my way to DO business with great customer service people, and go out of my way NOT to do business with bad customer service people.

One of the good ones for me has been my CC company, Chase. I have NEVER had a bad experience with them. VERY helpful on the phone, and they actually speak very good english. Another is Progressive Direct. Same deal, with one exception; they dropped the ball in helping me out with an accident I didn't cause. State Farm, (I'm going out of my way to not do business with them), wanted to pork me, and Progressive wasn't as helpful as they could have been. But overall, I'd highly recommend them.